Some NGII questions

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Some NGII questions

Post by Royta » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:26 am

So I've been playing the game a lot over the last three years, and there's still a few things I'm not really sure of so I'd like to ask here, see if I can get any answers. Thanks in advance to any that might help! :thumb:

1) What is the point behind the Giant Crystal Skull? I've searched high and low and all answers so far i.e. increased Karma, increased enemy agression, increased essence, that the final boss now spawns skulls etc. have all turned out to be incorrect. Does it really just give the profile picture?

2) when you kill an enemy with a UT, and then OT them while they are already dead. Do you get essence as if it was an OT kill or an UT kill?

3) is there any way to consistently pass the first real set of archers in Chapter 1 without Ninpo or NG+ Incendiary Shurikens? They really seem to be the most devilish of hitscanners. Can't even despawn them it seems like.

4) do the mines in the swamp spawn indefinitely? Or is there a limit to them?

5) is there anyway to consistently pass the archers across the river in Chapter 2 without Ninpo?

6) Is there anyway to force Zedonius to stop flying, or to damage him in the air safely. I know Vermillion Bird can hurt him there but it is super strict and not worth the chance it will fail.

7) how do you dodge Alexei's super-tornado? The regular one is easy enough, but the super just seems to go on forever and totally at random. Is there a pattern to it?

8) Volf sometimes does this shoulder-charge mid-combo, without any rime or reason it seems. Deals monsterous damage too. Is there a tell to it? How do you avoid him doing this?

9) Is there anyway to beat Dagra Dai without taking damage and without using Ninpo? I've been struggling to nail this fight for years now but I just can't find a consistent way to deal with his lightning for instance or even find a good moment to damage him. Any vids? Only one I can find is of NGS2 by MysteryLight. Do you really just have to dance around for minutes on end waiting for him to do regular melee strikes?

10) is there a safe spot in the Chapter 14 lake with the fish? I tend to kill them with Scythe UTs but that gets old really fast, I'd rather use the gun but there doesn't seem to be a safespot there. Any takers? Or know of a guaranteed way to avoid them?

11) what's the best combo to use against Ghost Fish? In NGB I always use jumping X with the Flails or TDS, but here nothing seems to be safe all the time. Only one that sort of seems safe is XXYYY with the DS but there has to be something else. Someone?

12) is there a guaranteed method to stop Elizabet from doing het blood-rain spam? With the magic of recording software her record for me was using it for 2 minutes and 6 seconds straight once. I tend to use counters on it or just spam dodge, or using a Swallow with the Claws and pray. Anything else that works guaranteed?

13) is there a known way to skip the acid-pit, like an out-of-bounds trick? I'm kind of tired of doing that dull area after the 20+ runs through this game.

That's it for now I think!

NOTE: I had a lot of trouble posting this. Apparently the issue was that there was a percentage symbol in my post which made the site crash for me. Perhaps worth looking into?
d_Nought
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Some NGII questions

Post by d_Nought » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:15 am

1) It seems like it does give you extra karma in story mode. Here JTB picks up the Giant Crystal Skull about 58 min in, goes back to ToV 7 and finds that his golden Van Gelf kill bonus went up from 4275 to 4500 (about 1h03m in the VOD)

twitch.tv/videos/652604761

2) I only know for the Windmill Shuriken UT, but that only gives you UT essence. Just checked using Mission Mode Green Claw Ninjas/DK Ninjas (both 50 base), WS UT + OT gives 350 = 7x base = UT. I remember finding out the same with Van Gelfs at some point in story mode but I don't have any notes on it. don't know what happens if you get a melee weapon decap UT.

3) Intense prayer :pray:.

4) The ones next to the first Muramasa stop eventually. The ones next to the second Muramasa can be despawned by quitting and reloading. The other ones I just run past.

5) Don't think so. Doing a flying swallow onto the pier as soon as they come into view will land you just short. Edit: Totally forgot X+A and LT+A while water running exist. Could be worth trying.
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:28 pm

What does LT+A do while waterrunning? o_O Never heard about that input there. Do you take the left or the right side of the pier?

Good note on the Karma. Finally visual confirmation, guess earlier disconfirms were simply false then. Strange.
d_Nought
Newborn
Newborn

Post by d_Nought » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:45 pm

LT+A on water allows you to sharply change direction while water running rather than turn in a large radius. It's actually at the bottom of every movelist. I think I remember Farnham saying it gives i-Frames but the move doesn't give you a phantom trail or anything special. I've also watched this video quite a lot (ShowR18 vs Chapter 2) but only now realised that he's using that move to zigzag across the water.

PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 am

3) consistent as in 'fairly consistent': kill the two Grey's asap (GT - > OT) and dash/jump diagonally from behind the corner then dash in a zigzag pattern toward the tree. Keep the archers off screen as much as possible. Bird flip up, dash jump FS onto the walkway. This doesn't always work, because of the way you beat the 2 Greys and they respawn or you're too much in the open to begin with when you beat the Greys. I also usually start moving towards the tree even when the cam is horribly aligned and just '3D' my way over there, still zigzagging etc. And not make mistakes with inputting to many dashes or using too much distance etc. I feel if you do it exactly right, the game is more forgiving, maybe because you change directions so often. If you fail the tree flip (with the slight delay), you're almost certain to get hit, whereas doing it in one go seems to not do that. But this is just from my experience.

5) stay right and the moment you would cross the wooden pole do windrun FS. The trick is in how well you position yourself while running, so try to go around the corner with as much speed and direction and then do windrun + FS ASAP. Seems to be pretty consistent. I start running to the right, then curve to the left and curve right around the pole as sharp as I can and FS as fast as I can. Sometimes you will connect your FS, sometimes you will land in front of them on the wood.

11) well obviously LS YY(Y?) and delay them a little sometimes. DS XXYYY and manually extend the combo or DS XXXXX with manually directing your hits also seems to work decently. VF also have good combos, but I can't recall them, KG also works great with spinning attacks.

12) going straight underneath it/her ASAP, closing the distance and staying close; then FS works best I think, also with DS and DCTF. Sometimes she does seem to stop herself, though not sure what triggers this exactly and when you hit her while she just starts it, you'll stagger her.
Last edited by PinnacleInSync on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:02 pm

For Some reason ngrealm wohnt let me Post and now i am locker out and cant reach the Site anymore... got here by mobile now. I Wrote a Big Ass answer on Twitch pm, Hope it clears up Dome Things... thx ngrealm for being weird...
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Are you getting an error message when you log in or try to post?
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 pm

I had the same exact errors man, really weird. In my original post I couldn't do anything until I removed all "percentage" symbols, it kept crashing the site for me otherwise. Calm-water-break really is the discovery of the decade for me though, never heard about it.
MasonVank
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by MasonVank » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:33 pm

I've been getting that error message lately as well... it isn't bad for me right now but a couple days ago I couldn't post anything
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 am

ok it seems i can access the site again... yeah i was getting an error message while trying to post, and after trying it a couple times, i got locked out completely... now it seems to be fine again...

@Royta hmmm i had some "percentage" symbols as well in my post, could this be related??

in any case, here is a small tutorial on Calm Water Break if anyone is interested:
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:29 am

Yeah the percentage symbol breaks everything for whatever reason.

Regarding Ch.02 archers, I checked the only vid I have but I used IS. I did swing the camera away from them but couldn't keep it from turning back around whilst running. Maybe too close to the wall. Give it a try anyway?
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 am

Farnham The Drunk wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:09 am

in any case, here is a small tutorial on Calm Water Break if anyone is interested:
Thanks for this, I never realised using it consecutively had such an impact. This is definitely more consistent than the way I described.
d_Nought
Newborn
Newborn

Post by d_Nought » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:48 pm

8) Only noticed this point today, but Volf's "mid combo" shoulder charge seems to be a preset combo that he does when he parries you. You get a "ping", then two swipes, then the charge. But he can also branch from the two hits into a different scythe combo, which makes it seems like he just randomly does the charge.

Here I just mess around with him for a bit and I can see when it's coming, most of the time.

twitch.tv/videos/672640375 (~14m)

9) Another Sigma 2 Dagra Dai strat I saw was ShowR18 using tonfa running X or Y heavenly justiced into itself over and over again. He does take one hit but for the most part he just spammed that and it went through his lightning attack. Don't know if it works in Vanilla but it might be worth a try.

13) In WhileTrue's current Warrior speedrun he manages to activate the progression trigger for the second (super glitchy) acid pit by going back to the crystal skull
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 am

d_Nought wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:48 pm
8) Only noticed this point today, but Volf's "mid combo" shoulder charge seems to be a preset combo that he does when he parries you. You get a "ping", then two swipes, then the charge. But he can also branch from the two hits into a different scythe combo, which makes it seems like he just randomly does the charge.

Here I just mess around with him for a bit and I can see when it's coming, most of the time.

twitch.tv/videos/672640375 (~14m)

9) Another Sigma 2 Dagra Dai strat I saw was ShowR18 using tonfa running X or Y heavenly justiced into itself over and over again. He does take one hit but for the most part he just spammed that and it went through his lightning attack. Don't know if it works in Vanilla but it might be worth a try.

13) In WhileTrue's current Warrior speedrun he manages to activate the progression trigger for the second (super glitchy) acid pit by going back to the crystal skull
Great notes. Do you have the video of Dagra Dai by ShowR on hand? I couldn't find it. Could be a Sigma 2 only strat but well worth checking regardless. Also thanks for the note on WhileTrue. I looked it up and that's such a big time save. I don't mind doing the first pit that much but the second is such a grind. Thanks! :ninjacool:

EDIT: found the Dagra Dai clip: