DS only/Karma run

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

DS only/Karma run

Post by PinnacleInSync » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Hello there ninja people,

I was doing a OLB DS only run, but poor choices in upgrades(being rusty) made me get stuck at TOV 4.
Lvl 3 DS is not too great against the bots and lvl 2 Flame ninpo means I have to manually kill 20 bots at least, before being able to sail smoother waters. I tried it the other way around, delimbing the bots and 360 ET the Marionettes, but the DS 360 ET has less reach and iframes than the LS and Ryu gets hit frequently when starting a 360 ET, sometimes even after windpath.

That's when I decided that I want to do a DS only run with a good score. Maybe I'm going to try this with more weapons eventually.

I've finished the first two chapters and it seems the WS is still the way to go.
It's possible to delimb enemies with an arrow ET or XXY and use WS ET/UT on them.
On an archer you can: windpath arrow ET, then WS ET, ET, ET, UT (sometimes UT, UT works)

On an IS ninja you can do the same, then WS UT, UT, UT

The above mentioned is the ideal situation, but sadly it seems this is very inconsistent. At times the first WS ET outright kills an archer, or the first WS UT kills an IS ninja.

For this reason, just getting massive WS UT insta kills, with as many OTs seems to be the best choice on the crowded sections. (ideally 2 then 2 then 2 etc.)

I did try and save the last or last few of a spawn, but sometimes I would still only get an arrow ET and a WS ET landed, meaning that a fully charged WS would've been better and the reach of the WS makes it kill multiple delimbed enemies over distance easily.

Anyway, I'm going to post my progress here and if anyone has some tips, feel free to comment :)

So far, 5M (2.3 and 2.7) karma after the first two Chapters. I'm sure there's quite a bit more to get in Ch2, but I'm trying to find a good balance too, to also keep it fun.
:kungfu:
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Re: DS only/Karma run

Post by PinnacleInSync » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:13 am

Just finished Ch. 3 with 9.9M. It's a decent enough score to progress.

I played a little with WS farming on the TOV and a few times I got 5 UT's off on a single Grey (delimb with arrow ET) . Sometimes only 2 or 3. It seems mid trajectory hit is the best for not killing an enemy and it also seems that after any first connect, the possible second connect on a different target (in the same throw) is almost always a kill.

It's funny how only now I discovered that you can see the essence and red essence targets in Ch. 2, before spawning the dogs. The blue one can't be hit from there.

I tried IS on Rat's minions Ch. 1 and they occasionally hit Rat for decent damage. I've never tried this (or can't remember), but it's a good way to make the fight easier and get OTs.
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:35 pm

i dunno if it is legit to do this on a karma run, but i thought i share it anyway, maybe u can boost ur score a little haha...
basically u can farm the archers in ch 2 with IS on a NG+ karma run... (when i say NG+ i obviously mean a new game with existing equipment as well if one really wants to upload to the leaderboards... i just did this on a subsequent play to get here fast and show this) i am not a karma runner so i dunno if people know this...
as u can see, if u swap projectiles before the IS explode, u despawn the IS but still get the karma... i have no idea how many IS it takes untill the archers die from sticking damage alone, but it should take some time... in general u can use this in the whole game, but this place is especially good since u have stationary enemies and a shop nearby...

EDIT: i just realized u cant buy IS in a new game with equipment until ch 4, so its 100k max u can get here ... so farming them with the shop only works on a NG+

PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:08 pm

Well, this is considered illegitimate. (to me anyway) Because in a way it's infinite karma (if you would stand on a corpse with IS). I didn't realise you still get karma this way, but I did know you can cancel the IS by changing projectiles. Thanks for the input :)

A KR is usually done NG+, because of the KG and WS.
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:59 pm

Finished Ch. 4, 14.6M.
I didn't have the stomach to farm the ToV for 3 hours and start over until I nailed it. Just settled for whatever it turned out to be and reluctant to use a LotTG. Still OLB so far.

The DS 360 UT can be manipulated quite nicely when farming the critters. Pulling back on the d-pad (when slightly too close) often connects with a 'mid-slash' attack that does less damage. Within these mid-slash hits, I think there are also several different hit-moments, all having a different damage output (so it seems). On one critter I got 4 UTs.

Another issue here, is that Ryu seems to auto-target the Zombies, even when critters are closer. For consistency, line them up with a Zombie, so Ryu goes straight to the target, then adjust with pressing back on d-pad if necessary.

WS farming is tricky on terrain that isn't flat and often kills an enemy too early. I didn't have the stomach either to wait till the Zombies crawled or strolled into perfect position. And the other problem is that when the WS flies overhead, a cannonball wil hit you, slowly chipping away your health.

I also notice I'm less motivated to make grinding parts like these perfect, because of the restriction.
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:50 pm

After not playing for 2 weeks, today I continued my run.

I'm at ToV3 trying to have a decent run. One of the two last Lycans killed me mid jump. This ToV is so annoying going for score.

Bigalski proposed making a KR guide at some point. I like the idea, but lack the time to do so right now. That's why I'm going to post some interesting 'facts', so they are documented.

When circling (left) the perimeter and charging for either arrow ET or DS 360 ET/UT:
- Don't charge when you don't see any dogs on screen, it feels like when there are dogs, the Lycans are behind a 'dog-wall' of some sorts and on my last attempt I hardly had any Lycans jump me or near me.
- Don't charge at the start of the (brown-ish) area where you will find arrows. It's best to not charge anywhere here, as it seems there's always a Lycan close. If you still want to charge, do an ET and make sure you have essence floating. Steer away the DS 360 ET/UT from the Lycan, so that the high damage slash doesn't hit them.

After farming the dogs, play it safe. Normally the ES makes short work of the Lycans.
DS 360ET/UT delimbs.

Lycans tend to avoid WS UT, FS and OT. They dash away after windpath, sometimes immediately charging you, sometimes the WS connects just in time, sometimes you just get hit. Windpath DS UT works great.

If DS FS connects, I use XY OL 360Y - > OT. But you can get killed or hit mid air too.

When one essence is floating, I feel just jumping near and OL DS 360 ET works, but risky.

Using IS + OT works great too and is probably the safest way, especially if you have to protect a good score from the dogs.

EDIT: Windpath regular UT works best, because they tend to dodge the WS.
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:34 pm

Did the Water Dragon no hurt, but didn't get him into OT status. 3 consecutive times after that still not a single OT status. I also tried water running melee on him.
On my previous run I got it first try. I know it can not trigger, but not sure what triggers the non-trigger :scratch:

Reloaded the game, still no OT status :facepalm2:
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 pm

Finally got him into OT status, but at a point where he had almost no visible health. Weird stuff, never had to try that many (8) times.

Ch. 5: 17,9 M. Still OLB. I left quite some essence in this Chapter. Didn't use many bow ETs and settled for a meager TOV 3 score, because dying while farming everytime when you're 10-30 minutes in gets annoying fast.

At the start of Ch. 6 I charged a WS UT to hit the ghostfish on the first set of pillars. Immediately I charged again. This killed a few with another UT, then I got bitten at the same time and they jumped off me into their rest state. I could then kill the remaining 2 with an UT on each, without them attacking me.
It's only minor, but if this can be replicated, it means you can get more Karma off them. This probably won't work on big groups.
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 am

O_o
Certainly seems weird with him. So you fought him entirely on water with the DS?
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm

I used arrows mainly and only used the DS for the last 25 percent. Still nothing. On my successful attempt, I used arrows again and he had only a sliver of health left when I jumped in the water. Then sliced him once and then he did get into OT status, but he was super low.

Off topic: I seriously hate the Bone Dragon without LS or KG. Just got comboed by the crawlers at the end :banghead:
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 pm

Water Dragon OT status is kinda weird... he can go into OT status without u hitting him at minimal 1/3 of his health, and hitting him does not really affect it... when he is at 1/3 of his health he kinda stretches his neck at random, and u can OT him then... but sometimes he just never does it... i could be wrong but thats the best i can tell ya...