Ninja Gaiden XBox Magazine demo

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

wyansas
Pillbug
Pillbug

Ninja Gaiden XBox Magazine demo

Post by wyansas » Sat May 02, 2020 6:33 am

In the quarantine, I've been trying to sell some games I have lying around, and I came across a copy of the demo of the original NG from 2004. I slid it in my Xbox and played it and thought it was really interesting to notice how the game was made significantly easier between the release of the demo and the general release.

In the demo, you play through chapter 1 and you have the True Dragon Sword, level 2 flail, level 3 dabilahro, inazuma, as well as the izuna and counter scrolls. All the weapons have their final movesets as far as I could tell.

What I noticed was different was that
--Blue essence refilled significantly less health, and the life of the 1000 gods you get in ch 1 added about a third as much to the health bar as it does in the finished game.
--it took way more than 2 essence to perform a UT. It took like 4 or five, it was hard to tell because...
--attacking was the only way to avoid collecting essence, holding block didn't work. I played through the demo 3 times and was only able to do 6 or 7 UTs total.
--ETs with the TDS didn't decapitate, they stunned.

Other things I noticed were different were less significant. A camera angle here and there, and Murai's charge sound is more of a grunt instead of a yell in the final game.

I thought it was really interesting how much more difficult this game was until pretty much the last minute. I don't know if it would have hooked me the way that it did if it were that much harder to heal, stay invincible, and if I had to rely more on uncancellable combos to kill enemies.
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Re: Ninja Gaiden XBox Magazine demo

Post by Royta » Sat May 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Interesting! I got curious and found a video about it (
and the blood is a lot more...present in that demo than the release I remember. Pretty weird to see. Also cool to see Black Falcon Ryu in this enviroment.
I think the tweaked UT system is better, it's far to hard to gauge now what hits when and when you'll get an UT or not. I'm okay with that change too. Ironically the demo ends with "coming february", except it released in March haha.
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Re: Ninja Gaiden XBox Magazine demo

Post by vmd50 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:34 pm

Interesting. It makes sense they give us upgraded weapons and some of the other abilities in the demo to show off how fun the game can be. It' s similar in the NGS demo where it definitely is easier than the actual game in the beginning.