PLATFORM: PS3; RELEASE: September 29th 2009
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Re: Noob Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:56 pm

H.Smoke wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:27 am
Regarding the Tengu fight one of the strats I used the 1st time I was struggling was to fight one of them at time using one of Momiji's counter attacks (don't remember which one). It was really effective and relatively easy to do. The big problem was trying to keep an eye on the Tengu you were not fighting (even if it wasn't on screen) so you never get hit with the grab (I think it was one that rushes at you and throws you around).
Yes, the problem is the other tengu. As I said, we are supposed to keep an eye on him but it was really tedious, so I preferred to focus on one and just jump away when the brother was very close. This way you risk to get throw from off screen, but with a bit of luck you can kill the first one fast without being thrown. I preferred this lazy strategy... Btw I think you used the counter with T, it's the one which keeps Momiji in place.

I didn't have particular difficulties onward. No problems in Lycans castle. Against Volf I got a bit impatient, so I decided to use DCTF and spam ->T.
I can't keep the loop for the entire fight, but I can actually land some hits and drain a lot of his health. Rachel took a few minutes to adapt back to her, then I've got to the elevetaor and cleared it on the second try. Did Marbus on the third or fourth. Then on the aircraft, I played really sloppy but the level is stupidly easy, I just hate those four legged mechs that spam machineguns. Died a couple of times at Genshin because I'm an ass and I always get anxious even when fighting a boss I know really well.

And now the damn armadillo... I could probably loop him into 360T with DCTF, but I want to kill him legit. I can no damage him to his second phase, then I don't have any clue anymore. Dodging his meteors is tricky, the only way to stop him from spamming them is to hit the head. Though, if I stay in front of him hitting the head, he can do the front stomp and I can't dodge it. This pisses me off because if I have to use DCTF then I can't do any weapon run with ninpo restriction.

Edit: bah, for the second phase, I tried to wait for the fire breaths and just finished him off during them. And I thought Liz was a troll LOL. So I've got to Zed chapter, I'm thinking about any solid strat for the Gaja with no Izuna drop, and then straight to Ayane's chapter, so two difficult challenges await me...
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:42 am

Update: I'm at Zedonius. As I thought, he will probably kill the Izuna Drop rule for this run. The problem are the gaja, in this game you can't delimb them fast and it's tricky to deal them a considerable amount of damage while dodging Zedonius fireballs or watching for his dive attack. If it wasn't enough, doing Izuna drop against gaja is difficult with some weapons. With the tonfa you have to put some space between you and the enemy, so the first S misses and the T launcher connect. Otherwise, if you hit the gaja with the first S, then the launcher will send her too high and Ryu won't be able to combo her in the air.

Theoretically, they can be fought also with no Izuna but I don't think I actually want to learn it, it's incredibly difficult. A good weapon to do it would actually be tonfa, because you could do all kinds of combo to them, or even flying swallow, then cancel into HJ for safety. Though, I tried it and it takes forever, so I always end up getting hit and dying. I don't really know how much time it would take for me to learn this fight on these restrictions.

Though, even if I think I'll use izuna against Zedonius, Im sure I can go back to my rules for the rest of the playthrough.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:14 pm

What about Tonfa FS-HJ-360Y-HJ . . .?
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:09 pm

reim0027 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:14 pm
What about Tonfa FS-HJ-360Y-HJ . . .?
Hey Reim! Long time we don't interact here, so I'll take the opportunity to wish you a great new year and ask how is going for you.

Back to the topic: you mean FS-HJ-Y? The "Y" move in this combo can't be HJ'ed, only the FS can. Also 360Y can't be HJ'ed as well. This is Sigma 2, maybe in vanilla those things were possible? I'm confused :scratch:

I tried to use FS-HJ-Y but the problem is that Y can't be HJ'ed so it's quite unsafe and also it's not delimbing the gaja, maybe because the tonfa is still lvl3 and weapon level means a lot in this fight. In fact, if I izuna drop the gaja with a level 2 weapon it doesn't kill them, while it does with a level 3 weapon. I also tried 360 Y but it's not cancelable and also it's not delimbing them. This fight is the hardest I 've doen so far so I'll try doing it in chapter challenge with various level 3 weapons and see if I can do it consistently with all of them.

For example, the scythe. It's a really strong weapon but it doesn't have Izuna so I can't kill the gaja safely. I actually tried to use it and it's not delimbing gaja easily with the ground combos either. I should actually try a level 3 scythe though, so I'll retry in chapter challenge.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 am

Bummer. IIRC, it worked on NG2. Maybe, like you said, NGS2 is different. Anyway, GL with this run. Keep us posted.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Maybe with a level 3 tonfa it would work in NGS2 too, but you know that the game doesn't let you upgrade as fast as in NG2. Right now I only have DCTF at level 3 and I'm using it. I have to say that this part is erally interesting. It's very difficult and the first times is frustrating, but the more I learn the more I feel in control of it. I think it'll be fun to do it with the other weapons in chapter challenge.

Thanks for the good luck too.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:39 am

I loved the DCTF in NG2. One of my favorite weapons.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:13 am

It's really strong and has a cool moveset.

Meanwhile I've been able to kill Zedonius! It took me a week or something... Unfortunately, as I said, I had to use Izuna drops against gaja. I killed the first spawn, brought Zed to 50% of his health, killed the second gaja spawn. On the third gaja spawn I simply ignored them, Zed did a grab and I went for an easy TTTT and he was dead. Yeah. Useless to say that he alone is like the easiest boss in the game, the gaja are the real problem. Oh and his dive is really obnoxious. I think I can dodge it when he's at long range, but if Zed is close when is about to dive, I just can't dodge. I think it's the single attack in the game I can't figure out... Though, it's not a big deal.

Took a break, then I started Ayane's chapter. A few minutes to adapt to her, I was able to reach the first save statue. Then I started the second gauntlet in the market. I thought it would have been a total nightmare, but surprisingly it took me just a few tries... that was unexpected, I thought that would have been harder than Zed... Then, died once at the vang elfs, did the last room befor the boss (easy) and died just a couple times at the witch before I remembered all her attacks and killed her.

So, I see that a lot of people struggle really hard with Ayane in this game, and dislike her. I have to say that I dislike her too, because in order to make things less frustrating it's necessary to abuse her GT and use the flying swallow. It's also important to remember that in this game blocking is stronger than in other NG games, so even if you should not abuse it you can do it sometimes and it save your life, especially if you can time your counter consistently. I'll talk about my strats enemy per enemy.

Regular ninja: just use the basic combo and they should be delimbed easily.

IS ninja: when they are close I do a direct wind run (I mean without dashing) into a GT. Then I just do the regular combo over and over on their knocked out body :laugh: If other enemies come to interrupt I just stop attacking and block, but in if other enemies are off camera they will be less aggressive and sometimes will not even interrupt you. There's not much to say about them, really straightforward enemies, because in fact Ayane seems to be really straightforward, just knock enemies down and beat them as much as you can...

Werewolves: I don't know how much people struggle against them, I found them extremely easy, because I learned how to fight them properly during the other two playthrough on warrior and mentor. Everything they do can be blocked and will break your guard, except for their shoulder ram, which is the only unblockable attack they have. I think sometimes their jumping attack could also hit me while I was blocking, so I'm unsure about that but just keep them off camera and they shouldn't be aggressive while you are killing one of their companion alone. Block their attacks, then dodge cancel the last one, do SS, if they get stunned proceed with the full normal combo, if they dodge or activate hyper armor just block after the second S attack and you'll be safe against anything they can do off their dodge or hyper armor. The FS has a high chance of staggering and beheading them. The weaker ones should be delimbed really easily, the brown ones have only more resistance to delimbing and more health but the strategy is the same. You should just keep one of them on camera and it'll be fine most of times.

Mages: I was so scared about them, I can't belive I got grabbed only three times in total. The FS has high beheading rate. The normal combo delimbs them easily. You can knock them down with the GT and beat them when they are on the ground, they'll get delimbed in a moment. If you hear one of them is chanting his magic, just start evasive movements. Really, not much to say...

Winged vang elfs: if you can fight them with Ryu you can do it with Ayane, just remember that mashing S is the best dlimb combo with Ayane. The only problem about these guys is when they use their two hyper armor moves which I can't still predict. Though, most of the times they they are right after a save statue so no big deal. Rachel disagree of course... seriously though, when I punish after their combos, sometimes they just go into hyper armor moves that deal high damage.

But yeah, that is all for Ayane. Mashing S, direct GT into knockdowns, FS with high behead rate, manipulating the camera, countering and throwing some random kunai from time to time. I don't find the need to use her aerial combo into grab (which is also prohibited by the rules).

Really, I'm surprised because a lot of people find her difficult to use even with ninpo and UT's, even Iraquoz found her marketplace section frustrating. But at this point, I don't think there's anything that could stop me from finishing the game on these restrictions. I think I can fight Elizabeth and kill her in a couple of tries with the damn loop. Maybe Dagra Dai? I don't know, I just can't think I've done this, this game was really accessible.

So, if I should give an opinion about the hardest fights in the playthrough, I would say:

1 - Zedonius: the fight that forced me to use Izuna and basically killed the run. The gaja can coordinates their attacks with Zed and create a true nightmare.

2 - Armadillo: at least Zed was extremely fun to learn, this one is just frustrating. Maybe I still judge it easier than Zed because I did it in less tries, but if I could remove one fight from the game that would be Armadillo. I think there are maybe some tricks I still couldn't figure out, I think I forced him into a loop sometimes, but I couldn't reproduce it at will. I just don't know, at some point the temptation to upgrade the Void and smashing it into his face was really strong.

3 - I don't really know, maybe Momiji? Maybe she was really the hardest to do, but I think that if I replay her right now I shouldn't have much trouble. The true walls have been the two aforementioned fights but playing and learning her trough MN has been nice.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Small update: got to chapter 14 (formerly chapter 11). No prticular problems until the very last gauntlet: undead ninja and mages. Very tough, I've been there for two/three days. Fun though, I'm discovering a lot of details about weapons. I have:

Dragon Sword lvl4
DCTF lvl3
Falcon Talons lvl3
Tonfa lvl3
Kusarigama lvl3

Surprisingly I don't seem to like the DS much... the DCTF is a beast, especially ->ST (high delimb rate, fast OT) and 360T. TT->TTTT very good too, TTTTT knocks down, useful sometimes. The Tonfa is really good, HJ cancels, no need to argue about that. Kusarigama ->T in all its variants is fantastic, slow but compensate with his effectiveness. The Talons are the harder weapon tu use under these restrictions though, because it doesn't have the guaranteed delimbs anymore, and I can't use FS into izuna. Though I like them. I guess, in my next playthrough I'll upgrade the heavier weapons so I can get the hang of them, things like Lunar, Scythe and Fang. Agin, as I said, I hate the DS and I'm crap with it.

So, I hope to beat chapter 14 soon. Right now I got to the final section befor Genshin a couple of times and died in amny stupid ways...

Edit: I forgot to prioritize the mages in the second and third part of the gauntlet, now I seem to be more solid so I think I'll beat this chapter soon.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 am

I loved the KG in NG3RE. DK is my favorite in NG2.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Run complete!

I fullfilled the rules for the entire run except for the first Zedonius fight, where I used Izuna drops against the gaja. The rest of the run has been no items, no UT's, no ninpo and no air to air combat. I think Zedonius with gaja is probably one of the hardest parts of the game. Most people complain about the girl chapters but I did them on these restrictions without much trouble. I had a bit of difficulty only on Momiji chapter but I learned how to play with her and I can replay that chapter with not much trouble, I think she's a solid character.

Chapter 14: the last gauntlet before Genshin has been really hard, but there I basically finished to learn the basics of the combat. Has been really fun and instructive, and I discovered some things about running attacks. Belive it or not in this game you can use running attacks and some weapons have incredibly strong ones. Dual swords especially, running T and running S are like the best attacks in the game, and they can also be pulled off with ->ST and ->SS. I don't think there is much interest about Sigma's on this forum so I won't go in details, but I'll just say they are incredibly good. You probably already know this from NGII vanilla, but in that game there's not much room to set those attacks up.

I also fought the centaurs, I learned how to tackle them on the ground. After them I fought Volf and proceed to the next chapter, with the terrible first gauntlet with shadow fiends followed by marionettes and zombies. Shadow fiends are terrible in that part of the game because you are forced to fight them in that corridor, and there are also smal hills that make your OT's miss the target for a free grab.

Then, not too much trouble until the end. For Dagra Dai I found a safe way to attack him while he's using his lightning from the ground, but I don't really think it would work in vanilla. With dual swords I use the aerial SSS (it's not air to air, it's actually air to ground XD ), then I shoot an arrow in the air. The arrow reset Ryu from the aerial combo, so he can OL dash into windrun into aerial SSS again. This way I don't have to wait an hour until Dagra Dai stops shooting lightnings. This way, even DD has become a decent boss and it's fun to fight.

So, I think I'll mess around int chapter challenge and probably do another MN playthrough prioritizing different weapons. I also want to see if it's possible to win Zed first fight sticking to the rules. Though I really doubt I would be able to.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:43 am

Cool strats. I love the running S or T with the DK too. Great way to start the fight.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:37 pm

reim0027 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:43 am
Great way to start the fight
I actually use them during the fight as well. Since this game is different from vanilla, it's possible to use much more attacks. After a dash or a forward jump Ryu can go directly into running frames, so when the enemy is far away from Ryu you can set up a running attack with a dash or a jump. So with the dual sword this becomes really powerful, in some stages. For example, chapter 14 final gauntlet, undead ninja + mages, there is a lot of space in that arena so you can set up your running T into mages and ninja to delimb them instantly. If enemies are closer, ->ST pulls off the same attack with the same delimb property.

Today I tried running T with the Lunar at level one in chapter 1, it's incredibly cool because can hit a lot of enemies and has a lot of range, and is a multi-hit move so it has the chance to delimb a lot of ninja. I didn't use the Lunar in my first run, I wasn't very good at this game and it seemed a bit weak, but now I see how strong it is, and is incredibly cool. OMG the T counter!!! Also I tried the scythe in chapter challenge on "submit or die". It's cool that a lot of weapons have moves that lanch enemies for weird juggles. I didn't mess around with the movesets in NGII vanilla for obvious reasons, so I'm experimenting more in this game.

I have to say, my least favourite weapons are:

Dragon Sword: it seems to be designed to just set Izuna drops up and doing OT's after GT. On the ground it doesn't have anything special, and the running attacks have low delimb rate. Not very exciting to use for my current playstyle. Maybe I should experiment more with ->S and see if I can use the i-frames it has.

Kusarigama: LOL it's too OP. once you learn to toss the chain properly, you just start killing enemies for free. Too easy to use so I don't have fun at all. I should try using it without the chain pull, but even in that case it would be boring to use because it doesn't seem to have any move with good delimb rate, so I should just play extremely safe and I would mostly counter spam.

Enma's Fang: the least favourite of anyone. I guess its delimb rate is so low because it's supposed to have a dull/blunt blade. It's supposed to lift big enemies in the air, but then it can't do much, just the boring downward slash, so I don't really see the point. I also don't use air to air moves.

All the other weapons are just great.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:50 am

I loved Momiji's weapon. I liked the Dragon sword too. The DK was my favorite for style.