Ninja Gaiden Deckbuilding Roguelite

A forum for non-specific Ninja Gaiden discussion.
jaunger1999
Newborn
Newborn

Ninja Gaiden Deckbuilding Roguelite

Post by jaunger1999 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:36 pm

Hey all,

For a summer project I thought I'd try my hand at turning the mechanics of ninja gaiden into a deck building roguelite. The idea is to make action game mechanics more accessible to an audience that isn't used to the speed action games normally have. I figured it might be a good idea to get some feedback from the people already familiar with those sorts of mechanics. It's not a 1-to-1 recreation but follows the general rules ninja gaiden has. UTs, knocking enemies into walls, downing enemies, stunning with shurikens, etc.

https://jaunger1999.itch.io/cantrip-gaiden

7TkXB+.jpg
I know this sort of post isn't typical of the forum, but I couldn't find anything indicating this would be against the rules. If anyone has any objections to me posting this I apologize and I'll take it down. Or I guess a moderator will.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alhazard
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Re: Ninja Gaiden Deckbuilding Roguelite

Post by Alhazard » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:57 am

ok I don't think this game represents NG at all. It's like some version where enemies move 10 times slower. Game gets too easy since you can just move to an enemy, combo, cancel recovery with throwing star nearest enemy not being comboed, then continue your combo, repeat

Radical idea: Enemies move the amount of recovery your moves do. such as if you do a light attack, all enemies not being comboed move 1 tile. If you use a move with 2 recovery, they move 2 tiles or move 1 tile and attack if they are adjacent.

I do like the universal throwing star and move but they really need to be their own icons on screen. most ppl will not bother to read instructions to find out they are available.
jaunger1999
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Ninja Gaiden Deckbuilding Roguelite

Post by jaunger1999 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Your enemy moving after a recovery attack has given me a pretty good idea. Though not the same as what you said.