NGB and NGII master-files lost/scattered, unrecoverable

A forum for non-specific Ninja Gaiden discussion.
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

NGB and NGII master-files lost/scattered, unrecoverable

Post by Royta » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:03 am

Yasuda had a short interview, lots of little details regarding the master collection. Very SAD details too. Note the part in bold.

https://gamestalk.net/post-157938/

- They note that Sigma and Sigma 2 are included since they are, in their eyes, the final versions;
- They note that the masterfiles for Black and NGII are simply put: lost. They are scattered and unrecoverable. A darn, darn shame;
- NGS and NGS2 get an added "Hero Mode" that plays the game for you in a sense (probably akin to NG3's, which sees Ryu block automatically);
- Tag Mission Mode in NGS2 is readjusted to be completable solo;
- Online play isn't supported due to development schedule and business decisions;
- in NGS1 all Ninpo's are at their max power by default, with no need to shake the controller to increase their power;
- no more boob-shake in NGS2
- Secondary characters remain unchanged
- Yasuda notes that he feels he redeemed himself with NG3:RE after the failing of NG3, but would love to take revenge with a sequel one day
- he knows that people want Ryu in Smash. "We are waiting for the invitation".
JTB123
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Re: NGB and NGII master-files lost/scattered, unrecoverable

Post by JTB123 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:37 pm

Oh man, did they give any idea of when this happened? Guessing if it was recent we were pretty lucky in a way to get NGB and NG2 remasters on the XB1.

That really doesn't bode well for ever seeing the HPs return either :(
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:04 pm

I still have the HPs on my old 360 in a box in the attic. The disc drive doesn't work anymore which is why I retired it but... I should really transfer those files onto an external HD or something.

Lol at NGS2 being the 'final version' of that game. I wonder if they really feel that way or if that's just the story they're going with since they lost the files for the much better version...

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting!
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:10 am

I do not believe for a SECOND that they just "lost it all" hahaha... cmon guys, they released big patches for those games on Xbone (for NG II even after the backwards compatible version, so an afterthought patch) so no way they lost the source code... But i guess they had to say something about those versions at some point, cannot ignore fans forever, and this is just a way to make us all shut up about it already haha... yeah i think the are lying and i am not gonna give them my money for the upcoming release...

Hayashi (and sadly Yasuda as well now) will NEVER understand what NG is, they never did and never will... it is 100% clear now that they are blind to what made NG so good, and sadly everyone that will play NG for the first time in this new upcoming so called collection will never know what NG truly is and the franchise is done for imo... people will think that sigma 2 and NG3RE is the real deal, and the sequel (if ever) will be made accordingly... no thx, i am done with those clowns, and i will stick to the real NG.
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:42 pm

Whether or not they lied or told the truth, it's very sad for sure. My fav will always be NGB as I'm still playing it today. I haven't touched the others in 8 to 14 years and never played RE. I'm still on the fence about getting the "Master" Collection as I really need to pull away, especially since NGB and the HP's "might" have been lost. I do like some of the fixes but I might be the most devastated by the loss of the Boob Shake! LOL

Thanks for posting this!!
wyansas
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by wyansas » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:14 am

Horrible news. I would like to not believe it, but I do.

As a consolation, Yasuda said in theverge.com's version of this story that he recognizes pros and cons for the Sigma versions, and that he has a soft spot for NGII because it was his debut. So it appears at least one high ranking person at Team Ninja was up for putting the originals in there, but they just couldn't.
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:06 am

Companies lose source code all the time. Coulda been drive failures or just plain lost in a cabinet somewhere. Could well have been overwritten with the Sigma changes, would not surprise me one bit if they just saved right over the top.

Expect the master collection will be the Vita versions ported over with their extras (and the online co-op not restored lol).
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:42 pm

I guess it surprises me how bad the data management of some companies must be to lose such important files. I have every file, email and project I've worked on in 6.5 years at my current job indexed, backed up, and searchable to the point where I can pull up a random email from 5 years ago within a minute or two...

And yes, I'm tremendously particular about organization - but isn't that half the battle with programming in the first place? :shrug:

Though... I guess the more I'm thinking about it, turnover and in particular people leaving under not great circumstances is probably the issue. If I had left five years ago, would the guy that replaced the guy who replaced me have all my data and know how to interpret it? Most likely not! :laugh2:
sneh
Administrator

Post by sneh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:39 am

Ugh , I hate the Sigma versions. Well at least we have the XB1 remaster.