What is the core of Ninja Gaiden?

A forum for non-specific Ninja Gaiden discussion.
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Re: What is the core of Ninja Gaiden?

Post by julius-ruler4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:59 pm

I have reviewed my opinion about the core of Ninja Gaiden and I think there is the real core of the games are just the mastery of the combat and developing your own combat style. You simply try to survive tons of enemies thrown at you and you approach them by using your own way of defeating enemies. Simply repeating SoB and UT's becomes boring at some extent, but you can use your favorite moves in combination with your favorite weapons to take down your enemies that try to take you down. You simply read their patterns and you can exploit that using your own style. But the real fun is that they can exploit you too and your weaknesses. They can do to you what you do to them. That is the true core of Ninja Gaiden IMO.
minibeas
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by minibeas » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:14 pm

This is a game designed to be played multiple times and rewards you for doing so
One of my favorite things about this game is the way it handles the increased difficulty. Rather than just have the same foes with more life, they throw completely new enemies at you. One great example is with the first level and the different ninjas. And then in later levels the ninjas are replaced by cat fiends. The big demon dogs get armor. The best part is the ingame cinematics have been updated with these changes.

The missions are amazing. They really add replay value without relying on the campaign
Eternal Legend doesn’t really make much sense story wise, but it shows off the best part of the game which is combat. Being able to play these missions on increased difficulty right off the bat is also pretty cool.
I also enjoy fighting against fiend Ryu. I remember when my brother and I would have competitions on who could beat fiend Ryu faster on Master Ninja.
A great way of being competitive without feeling the pressure.

The graphics and animations still look amazing
The game is 11 years old and it still looks like a 360 game, but that’s a matter of opinion.
The cinematics really help put you in the moment, and the game feels like a fast paced martial arts movie.

The level design is top notch
Have you seen the main game, all of the levels are connected. (for the most part)
You even go back and visit your old village
It feels like Ocarina of TIme once you get to the Vigor Empire, where there are certain areas that are locked and restricted until you progress.
They are beautifully done and don’t feel repetitive.

There gameplay is great.
You are not restricted to one weapon. You have multiple ways to take down enemies and that’s cool.
You can upgrade your weapons and make them more powerful
Collecting scarabs is rewarding more so than Ocarina of Time Gold Skulltula collecting as they give you some really cool unlockables. (classic Ninja Gaiden anybody?)
Built in speedrunning clock for higher levels of play.
The move set feels like a fighting game, therefore they had to design the AI to be very smart and also not make the game feel cheap. When people say the game is hard, I agree, but it’s fair. Look at the Master Ninja “No Hit” run. It is not a hack and slash.

Issues with the game
While there are a lot of good things about the game, I feel like there are some weaknesses as well. The platforming is pretty damn good, but could use a little bit of tweaking. It feels precise but then you sometimes randomly jump the wrong way and can be frustrating to learn.
The water level, easily the weakest part of the game. They added swimming and some creatures underwater, and I feel like this part was underdeveloped. The spear gun just seems like something they threw in there to make the enemies easier. While the rest of the game you feel like a ninja master, this level did not accomplish that. It could have utilized more of the water running and other platforming. Does it break the game? Not at all. I guess the pacing just feels off. Ryu’s actions are not superfast.
A few more story elements could have really helped the basic revenge plot. Why am I killing my Uncle’s ninjas? Also why is Ayane following me? Is this all a test? What happened to all the people here?
Sometimes the camera has some slight issues. You can straighten it sure and turn it now, vs the original you could not. I do not have an issue but I know many do.

Overall, I love this game for its replayability, and scaled difficulty and how you can eventually dance as Ryu. There is a huge amount of skill in this game and nothing is cheap, unlike Ninja Gaiden 2. You will die in this game at first, but it teaches you much in the same way you learn that fire is hot. You learn what to do and what not to do and how to handle certain enemies and not to rely on the same combos all the time.
Seldon
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by Seldon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:54 am

For me NG was about flexibility (you can do any encounter with any weapon if you understand the strengths and weaknesses of both your weapon and your enemy) and playing carefully (since rushing in headlong and button mashing usually meant you died...quickly).

I did not like NG2 as it felt the boss battles just became a battle of attrition and I only played the demo of NG3, I dont remember what exactly it was, but the feel of the game was just off to me.

There is just something about NGB that will never get old to me, it is the one game in my collection I find myself consistently and repeatedly drawn back to play. It might be a year or so between when I decide to revisit it, but I have not yet (nor will I probably ever) tire of playing it over again.
ThaBlackFalcon
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by ThaBlackFalcon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:09 am

I haven't played the NES or SNES NG games so I can't speak from that perspective. I also haven't played the sigma games, but I've seen a lot of footage and commentary on them.

That being said, the core of Ninja Gaiden is Mastery through understanding your opponent's strengths and weaknesses as well as your own. Learning enemy tells and patterns through repetition and exploiting them with unwavering aggression, while being able to avoid and evade their counters is the mark of a true master ninja (a level I don't think I've quite reached yet). This is achieved through what I consider to be the greatest combat flow mechanics of all time (with the exception of poor camera angles in certain locations and situations)

One thing I think that could be expanded on is the use of ETs and UTs...I think in addition to having a designated slash/preset combo, being able to use them as a defensive stun (essentially an intercept that leaves the opponent stunned for a short while), an obliteration counter (just imagine the types of animations that could come from this), or a combo-ender (all of these would be based on the timing of when the technique is charged and released) would add to the degree of creativity and artistry that players could tackle the game with. This would also make for interesting karma runs as you could have different point values designated for how the techniques are utilized.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Well said. I agree the ET/UT system is overpowered and essentially spammed for Karma Running. The problem is making the karma scoring too complicated. IMO, NG is simple but difficult. As more vagueness is added, the gameplay isn't always improved.
ThaBlackFalcon
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by ThaBlackFalcon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:34 pm

I think a way to balance the overpowered nature of the ET/UT system would be to punish the player for poor timing and/or reckless usage (maybe have certain AI that is more evasive while others can tank it and break the combo if you hit them straight on) and make the recovery frames longer in the event of a whiff. Again, this is just an idea to expand a little on the already amazing system in play, and have it so that Karma rewards efficiency and creativity. Also make it so that repeated ET/UT attacks are granted a reduced score per time it's used.

For instance let's say base UT kill = 10000 karma, if the player continues to spam the base UT, each of the following kills will give a reduced score (1st kill = 10000, 2nd = 7500, 3rd = 5000, 4th = 2500) where with the newly integrated system, you'd ideally be utilizing the different variations of ETs and UTs to maximize your score while exercising your best creativity with what the combat system offers.

I also think redoing the time bonus would be cool, so instead of having a time limit where you either get the 10000 bonus or 0, have a tier system. Let's say you have an encounter with 4 enemies and the expected time for you to take them out is 24 seconds: if you defeat them in 4 - 12 seconds, then you get a 20000 bonus...defeat them in 13 - 18 seconds, you get 15000...defeat them in 19 - 24 seconds...you get 10000, beat them in 25 - 34 seconds, you get 5000 and if it takes longer than 10 seconds after the expected time, then there's no time bonus.

Again, this is taking into consideration a slightly refined/updated combat system that will have more to offer the player in terms of how they can approach various encounters. I also think there should be a health bonus established within the Karma system. If you have 90 - 100% of your health remaining, then you get a 10000 point bonus, 75% - 89%, you get a 7500 point bonus, 50% - 74%, you get 5000 points. Less than 50% 0 points (health items wouldn't affect this as the Karma tracker would keep track of the amount of damage you took to determine where your health would be in spite of you using healing items if needed)

Thoughts on this??
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:56 pm

I can confirm that going for karma is not a dynamic process. But in overall karma is not the core of Ninja Gaiden. The core is mastery and success. Failure is not an option. Whilst your suggestions are great, here is something you need to know below.

Reduced karma for ET/UT is already implemented in NG2. Also health and time bonus are scored in Razor's Edge. I speak from experience on RE cuz I've done a few karma runs. Though KR's on NGB are quite difficult, RE is not that different. Just a different approach and way more possibilities to score points.

Master the game and you will be the game. That is the true core of Ninja Gaiden.
ThaBlackFalcon
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by ThaBlackFalcon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:05 pm

julius-ruler4 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:56 pm

Master the game and you will be the game. That is the true core of Ninja Gaiden.
THIS.
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants
Location: British Headquarters of The International Dojo of Ninjas

Post by Luckrequired » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Worship Rachel and you will always have a place to rest your head. And store your sword.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Amen, LR.