Okay is this worth continuing?

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Okay is this worth continuing?

Post by magx » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm playing NG3:RE after several years of ignoring it due to trying and HATING (so much, oh so much) the vanilla NG3 and I'm at the infamous and unbelievably retarded dino boss and I am just wondering if this is worth the effort? This game so far is just long, overly drawn out gauntlet style battle after gauntlet style battle broken up by too brief platforming, shit boss fights, dumb things like the stealth sections and way too many helicopter fights.

Now I am at this unbelievably stupid dinosaur boss. Does the game change at all or is it just more of the same until it's over? There are aspects to the game that are actually quite well done and fun but mostly it's just a poorly designed slog. Ninja Gaiden Black is such a masterpiece and it's sad that it was followed by garbage entries like this and Sigma.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: Okay is this worth continuing?

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 am

Based on your thoughts thus far I would say you probably won't think it gets much better.

The combat itself in this one is, I think, pretty darn good but a lot of the game design does feel like a slog and the bosses are mostly shit, yes.

Just curious what difficulty? Sort of a toss up - the easier modes are too easy so combat gets dull, while the tougher modes combat feels better but the game design is even sloggier... : p

There is a lot of really cool stuff in the Razor's Edge combat system, IMO. Shame the game itself isn't better. I would say that probably the two best levels in the game are still ahead of you but if the game design turns you off that much... it's not any different for the rest of the game really.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:36 am

The combat is way better in NGRE. Worth a playthrough.
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:34 am

I never bought it. NG3 was enough for me.
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Once you buy Cicada Surge the game gets a lot better, at least for me. But it is still a pig with lipstick, older elements from the original like the T-Rex, the gorrila enemies and those horrible floating statues are a thing you'll have to deal with sadly. If you're not enjoying it, better to just stop I feel.
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants
Location: British Headquarters of The International Dojo of Ninjas

Post by Luckrequired » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Game is on sale now on PSN so I'm gonna pick it up and try it out. Let you know my thoughts in about a year from now. lol
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by magx » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:22 am

I ended up pushing on. Might as well see how the rest of the game plays out. I agree with those saying the combat is the highlight; even though they also fucked that aspect of the game up (imo) it's still working off the Ninja Gaiden template thus making it inherently fun/engrossing.

Back to fighting these new stupid gorllila van gelf reskin things and those serpent mermaid medusa gorgons. Why I do this to myself I dunno lol
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:53 am

If you don't enjoy te combat might as well don't even bother. I was in a similar position the 1st time I played this and ended up basically rage quitting in my MN playthrough. Couple of years ago I gave it another try, focusing on the good thing (i.e. the combat) and had an enjoyable experience, although I didn't try the difficulty after MN because although I can overlook most of the wrongs, one thing that always pissed me off with this game is that it tries too hard to be challenging, and of corse it does it pretty poor job at it (I mean is hard, but not for the reasons I'd call good).

I have a massive bias for NG2 but I think with a few changes/improvements RE's gameplay would have ended up being even better (and in some ways, it is). We would had a similar situation like with DMC4, which had a lot of issues but the gameplay was top notch.
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by julius-ruler4 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:28 am

My advice is simple: finish the run and then tell us your personal thoughts about it. Me on the other hand, I have mixed feelings about the game itself.

First I am not really happy that they haven't reskinned (dunno if it is correctly typed) the original NG3 without some major changes in storyline. Further more the combat system has it's own problems with whiffing attacks like delayed OT or even a regular DS attack that misses an enemy while in NGB it always hits. Some other attacks have a way too large window of opportunity, like the SoB. Way to generous to get a hit on an enemy.

What I do like is that Hayashi learned a bit from Itagaki's legacy. Taking elements from NG2 was a huge improvement. And the cicada surge is, as said before, a huge game changer. Not to mention the ability to choose which weapon to upgrade and a healthbar that doesn't upgrade itself, changes the game enormously. Scarabs are scattered throughout the run, but all give you a reward for finding them.

However the Scarabs did bring a flaw to the game itself, which is known as the infinite karma glitch. You should see how people boast about getting highscores, but they seem to forget that this is easily detected when you compare their runs to mine. Sorry, I'm just a Karma Runner on RE. Look at my videos on YouTube and you'll see when you'd attempt a run like that what a potential score can be, though I missed a few points here and there.

Just look at the game from your own perspective and do not let other players alter your opinion. This is only yours to make. I, personally, like it in general. That is my opinion, and I do like the T-rex if you look for a challenge. Makes you try to think out of the box for an approach. The only enemies I dislike are Van Gelfs, zombies, dogs and chimera. So tricky...

Anyways, you should enjoy the game from your own PoV

Yours Faithfully
julius-ruler4
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants
Location: British Headquarters of The International Dojo of Ninjas

Post by Luckrequired » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 am

Luckrequired wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:13 pm
Game is on sale now on PSN so I'm gonna pick it up and try it out. Let you know my thoughts in about a year from now. lol
Wow I posted this as a joke. Didn't think it really would be a year later.

So far it's annoying and trying way too hard to be Metal Gear Solid. Need to play more before I can talk about the combat. :ninja: