Thoughts and questions about NG3:RE.

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
Sotherius
Pillbug
Pillbug

Thoughts and questions about NG3:RE.

Post by Sotherius » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:25 am

Well, hello everyone, first post here. I'm going to apologize in advance if something i'll ask here or say is too much, or stupid.

So, i've got my hands on NG3RE after playing the demo for some really good hours, and i've been playing this game for some weeks/months. It is my first real NG experience (since i only played the ng2 demo). I finished Ultimate Ninja on story mode recently, and i haven't done all test of valor or ninja trials yet, so i'm here to share some toughts, and also, make some questions, about the combat system, and its mechanics, since my main objective is to master this game and do awesome stuff with it (even with its bad enemy design).

So, Ultimate Ninja, what i could notice from different compared to master ninja was the price of upgrades, some changes in enemy placement, and also the more annoying behavior of certain enemies. But somehow, i feel that some stuff felt easier, does anyone know exactly what the differences are between master ninja and ultimate ninja?

Also, talking about characters, my main focus is probably Ayane, she is the design that made me get interested in the game in the first place (also in the DOA series yay), and i really like her playstyle, but she seems to have less tools. Does she have any way to cancel stuff besides blocking/dodging? Also, i've watched a video from FxxkinNinjAz and he does her Lightwing Izuna, and goes into a launcher right after it, i assume it is a landing move, but none of the inputs in the move list seems to be it.

Also, Counter Timing, is it worth to practice? I know it was nerfed from other games, but since ayane doesn't have cicada surge or anything like that, i thought it could be useful.

One last question, i saw another topic here, some pages behind, from FiendBusa, showing some moves that you have to "repush L1", and i was going to try that, but two things, i don't use the default control scheme, and i don't use a ps3. I assumed it was to push block during the strings, but nothing was happening, so, if someone can help with that.

Also, i have a huge trouble against some bosses/mini-bosses.

Alexei, Elizabeth and Fiend Genshin seems to be the ones from the ToV's that i have more trouble (and human genshin with ayane, since she can't launch that dude), i don't even know how to block/dodge their attacks, and i can't see openings either. And about mini-boss, i'm having huge trouble against the 6 god prototypes that you fight at the end of day 8, i know there is some exploits, but i want to be more legit, and also, i noticed that the snake hands have the less health of the 3, but i'm not consistent, heck, i can't even beat them on master ninja in chapter challenges since i don't have the help of the Regent.

One last thing, is there any good source talking about the characters and weapons in general, it seems that every guide material i found seems to be focused more on dealing with enemies than understanding a character properly, or the mindset behind it.

Also, is there any official source on enemy types and names? I want to start making notes, so having a name for each enemy seems to be a good thing.
Puregrunt
Administrator

Re: Thoughts and questions about NG3:RE.

Post by Puregrunt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Hello, and welcome. There are no stupid questions....

does anyone know exactly what the differences are between master ninja and ultimate ninja?

To the best of my knowledge, it's an increase in enemy durability (they take more damage) and they can also inflict more damage. There are also sections, gauntlets if you will, where enemy placement changes. So not only are the enemies more durable and inflict more damage you might find yourself facing the exact same section that you did on Master Ninja, but this time there might be an additional 3 Alchemists to fight. So it is definitely harder. But Team Ninja did a very poor job of balancing it all out. UN just feels cheap overall, it's just more tedious and time consuming. Master Ninja is OK.

Also, talking about characters, my main focus is probably Ayane. Does she have any way to cancel stuff besides blocking/dodging?
Ill be honest with you, i haven't had a lot of experience with her. I did finish UN on Razor's Edge though. I found her to be really under powered and most of her attacks have to be done close quarters. Which makes her vunerable to attack. You don't really get to utilize her effectively because of the horrendous enemy set up. I found myself just spamming the Steel on Bone to get through her sections. There's a part on one of her missions, it's the one where you fight the prototype's on the aircraft carrier. I must have died like 30 times on the gauntlet just before it.

One last thing, is there any good source talking about the characters and weapons in general, it seems that every guide material i found seems to be focused more on dealing with enemies than understanding a character properly, or the mindset behind it.
The only sources that i know of are here, or Ninja Fortress. Ninja Gaiden is such a great franchise, with so much potential. Since Ninja Gaiden 3 came out though, there has been a significant decline in interest in it. Razor's Edge does a lot of things right, but underneath...in it's core, it's still Ninja Gaiden 3. NG3 had mostly negative feedback due to a number of reasons. I actually enjoyed RE and i have hope that Ryu Hayabusa's next outing will be great.

You haven't really played Ninja Gaiden until you have played through Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 (not sigma 2) :smile:

Welcome :ninja:
Sotherius
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Sotherius » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:47 pm

You haven't really played Ninja Gaiden until you have played through Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 (not sigma 2) :smile:
Well, i kinda know that. The thing is, i made an american xlive account, got money in that account to buy NGblack, and it actually registered as a buy, i lost money and all that, but the game refuses to download, and i guess is something due to the game not being available for Brazil.

And NG2, i just couldn't find a copy on a good price yet, and like i said, what got me interested was mainly ayane's character design, it was fortunate that i managed to also love her moveset.

But, i'll get ngblack and ng2 in the future, and even if i wanted, i can't play the sigma games, so no worries on that.
I found her to be really under powered and most of her attacks have to be done close quarters.
Honestly, she probably has the best offense in this game as far as i tested (unless you coun't 360 scythe spamming as offense), at least against non-boss enemies. She has some really good tools for guard breaking, she delimbs enemies easier than any other character, and her kunais are really good to control enemies and deal with the dodgy ones. Her deffense otherwise is really bad. But this is as far as i've tested, i just want to find more to do with her, and master her moveset (maybe some kunai juggles).

I want to truly understand this game's mechanics, and master it, even with its bad design decisions, so i'll work hard, even if i don't have many good sources.
The only sources that i know of are here, or Ninja Fortress.
Thanks, i'll look up.

Also, thanks for the answer in general.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:55 pm

Ayane is very very very good. Insane delimb rate, great damage, tons of safe moves.

Best of all, all her cancels leave you invincible since her charge move has iframes throughout the whole animation.

For her defense, take advantage of the iframes.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:16 pm

Welcome to the site, Sotherius. :wave:
One last question, i saw another topic here, some pages behind, from FiendBusa, showing some moves that you have to "repush L1", and i was going to try that, but two things, i don't use the default control scheme, and i don't use a ps3. I assumed it was to push block during the strings, but nothing was happening, so, if someone can help with that.
Yes, you need to push block. The timing is very tight. I was never any good at this technique, mainly because I can't stop myself from dash cancelling instead.
Sotherius
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Sotherius » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 am

since her charge move has iframes throughout the whole animation.
I'm so stupid, i learned that by experience while i was mostly playing her in the beginning (the demo days), but after playing so much with other characters, and getting stuffed while doing that, i lost the habit of doing and assumed that only a couple of frames had invincibility, incorporating that to my playstyle again made a huge difference.
Yes, you need to push block. The timing is very tight.
OH, ok, i'll start working, i'm not great at frame perfect moves either, but, is just that, press block in the middle of the string during the correct frames?

Thanks everyone.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:40 am

You should check this thread I made some time ago if you want to get a general impression regarding RE around here.

Sucks that you lost money trying to buy NGB. I live in Uruguay and I know that in both UR and ARG NGB and NG2 are region locked (digitally, no issues if you have the discs) however, if I try to buy them I just get the classic IP lock error, but it doesn't register the buy so I don't know what went wrong in your situation. You can download all the patches and buy the Mission Mode (which if you get NG2 I highly recommend) though, which makes it even weirder :deepthought:

I could give you a couple of tips regarding bosses, but with Ryu only, I don't particularly like playing as other characters.

Regarding the Guard Break reset, I use it almost since I started playing NG (never know it wasn't as widespread as I thought) and I can tell you that, getting used to it aside, you simply need to repush block as soon as your guard is broken. It also helps to know which attacks or strings are more likely to break your guard. I don't play RE anymore so I can't remember if the timing might be a bit off in this game, but is not difficult to pull off consistently.
Sotherius
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Sotherius » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:31 pm

H.Smoke wrote:You should check this thread I made some time ago if you want to get a general impression regarding RE around here.

Regarding the Guard Break reset, I use it almost since I started playing NG (never know it wasn't as widespread as I thought) and I can tell you that, getting used to it aside, you simply need to repush block as soon as your guard is broken. It also helps to know which attacks or strings are more likely to break your guard. I don't play RE anymore so I can't remember if the timing might be a bit off in this game, but is not difficult to pull off consistently.
Oh yeah, i saw the thread, a lot of great opinions all around.

I was not talking about going back to block state after having the guard broken, but about this: http://www.ninjaarchives.com/forum/view ... =65&t=1094
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:27 am

I don't think he was asking about the guard reset, more of the secret combos. There is a video from Fiend Busa on youtube about it, which I can't find easily because I'm having issues with internet browsing atm.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Sotherius wrote:
H.Smoke wrote:You should check this thread I made some time ago if you want to get a general impression regarding RE around here.

Oh yeah, i saw the thread, a lot of great opinions all around.

I was not talking about going back to block state after having the guard broken, but about this: http://www.ninjaarchives.com/forum/view ... =65&t=1094
If repushing block is unfit for you, you can also do it by releasing triangle and holding triangle right after. I always gone with the repush method since I don't like the hold triangle method.
Sotherius
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Sotherius » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:17 pm

If repushing block is unfit for you, you can also do it by releasing triangle and holding triangle right after. I always gone with the repush method since I don't like the hold triangle method.
Ok, i'll try that once i play later today.
:smile:

Also, i learned something that is somewhat useful with ayane today, it is probably nothing new, but here it goes anyway.

Like, when you do Windrun or WIndpath, if you press heavy you're basically locked to do a flying swallow right? With Ayane, i can press the shoot button, and before the kunai comes out, i can press any other button and it will cancel it, so you can do other moves besides flying swallow after a windrun or windpath. It has been useful so far.