Finally Beat UN on Story Mode

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
reim0027
Administrator

Finally Beat UN on Story Mode

Post by reim0027 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:20 pm

I've been putting it off for a while now. I preferred to play the trials, so going through story mode took a back seat. Recently, I decided to get UN out of the way, just to be complete.

It took me about a week (playing evenings). I really didn't have much difficulty, other than a few spots. Kage's and Busa's videos helped out a lot. I used one health upgrade before the last boss. I skipped all the fiend challenges. I hate them. I only had enough essence to purchase meditation, max Scythe, max Inferno, and buy all health upgrades. I may have had about 60k left over. Things in this difficulty are way too expensive.

The last boss was a PITA (first stage). Those claw beasts (that Kage calls "fuckos") were cheap as hell. I tried Kage's strategy (OL 360T into an Izuna Drop into [T] and SoB bait). If worked well on his videos, but they were not cooperating (and neither was Ryu). Things that happened: my ID wouldn't launch anyone, they would fall out of the launch, they would stunlock me (surrounded, so I can't see anything), they would SoB grab out of reach, Ryu would target the wrong fiend (instead of the one who would SoB), I would connect with their SoB grab - yet instead of doing the SoB, I get grabbed instead, Ryu had input lag, and the list goes on. It took me longer on this one session than the entire Day. I got so pissed, I turned off the game and took a break. When I came back, the game had decided to play nicely (the above things became rare instead of the norm), and I got past that stage fairly fast. The rest of the boss was a joke.

Don't get me started with the Van Gelfs on Ayane's Days. . . .

It was fun to play. I probably won't play story mode again, but I may go back to Chapter Challenge and play them.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Re: Finally Beat UN on Story Mode

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:06 am

Nice achievement man. I have a nice strategy for building meter for the last boss without being too messy.

Facing the goddes, position yourself in the upper left corner. When the guys come at you, slide towards the corner, S+X, windpath back to the corner (because in this game is possible to bounc in any direction after windpath), OL 360 into izuna and chain OL 360's. I use it with tha Dragon Sword but it shoul'd work with Scythe too. But I guess it's irrelevant for you, since you don't intend to play story mode again :)

I'm the opposite, I like story mode, ToV's and Ayane more than trials. I think Story is more balanced for solo play, and I don't do coop. ToV's are very hard and infuriating at times, but I feel they improve my skills a lot. I also don't use the scythe.

My personal achievement with this game is that I beat sotry mode twice on Master Ninja using only Dragon Sword, doing all ToV's. I actually wanted to try some of the other weapons in my second run but not the scythe, which makes the game a little bit repetitive.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 am

I tried that strategy, Noob. It took forever to build up my Ki. that gave those bastards time to chip away at me. And, to top it off, the ID wouldn't launch (or they would fall out of it) frequently.

I wouldn't mind doing an entire run with the KG. But, the bosses would kill me. The KG is so damn weak against them.
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:52 pm

I can't remember if you beat UN with the original NG3 or not, but Razor's Edge is the easier of the two. By easier i mean, the one that is still cheap as all hell, but just a little less cheap lol. Both games are a test of patience rather than a test of skill. I think, most of the difficulty of the first game comes from serious balancing issues. Razor's Edge is at least fun (in places). Have to say Ayane's chapters would be the worst. I remember getting stuck on some sections for ages. There's one part that she fly's down on top of the aircraft carrier, you fight a bunch of white guys and some van gelfs, then you go up against the 3 prototypes. Man, that was a PITA. Congrats on beating it though, it's pretty tough indeed. For the first game, fighting the rocket ship on top of the building was an absolute nightmare, and that last boss my god it will drive you nuts. My favorite part is getting to use the Scythe on the Regent and killing him in no time.

360Y Scythe spam ftw :thumb:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:05 am

Yeah, that was my least favorite Ayane part too. I knew it would be a PITA, so I saved all health upgrades (except 1) for that fight. For NG3 - I beat it on Normal, but I could barely stomach it. I really have no intention of ever playing it again.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:52 am

Congrats Reim!

Are you playing this or anything else much these days? If you ever get a ps4 I bet you'd really like Bloodborne. I forget, did you ever try Dark Souls 2?

I think I never got past MN Chapter 7, the part where you have to fight 2 or 3 waves of the 3 prototype goddess things. Never really got the hang of fighting those... this game's mechanics (fishing for SoB on red-hand moves, Cicada Surge, etc.) never clicked for me. I just tried to play it like NG2 and be aggressive as hell, which worked for a lot of parts but not the Prototype things. I almost want to go back to try it again but meh... I have very little patience for frustrating games these days. :silly:

@ PG - Never finished UN on NG3 vanilla but I DID do MN when the game first came out - so only the sword, no Scythe cheese or Claws. Ugh... wouldn't want to do that again. Razor's Edge was not the best NG game but at least it felt like an NG game and had a bit of variety to it. NG3 vanilla was almost unrecognizable as NG the gameplay and balancing was so cock-eyed, heh. That last gauntlet before the final bosses that just had you fight 37,000 bird and gorilla fiends will go down as one the most retarded and tedious segments in any action game I've played...
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:38 pm

I really don't play much anymore. I will occasionally pop in a game. I was involved in the beta testing for DkS2. I really didn't like it too much, so I never got it. I may get a PS4, but not in the near future.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:30 am

Nice one, reim. Good to see your ninja skills aren't going to waste. And I agree with MG about Bloodborne; I think you'll really enjoy it as well.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Grats