Not another Hard KR, Julius? Run complete (11,038,421)

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Not another Hard KR, Julius? Run complete (11,038,421)

Post by julius-ruler4 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Yes, title, it is. And I'm thrilled to say I broke my Day 1 score again and this time I can go for some commentary along, if someone wants to do this with me. I need a volunteer who wants to do this with me over skype, so I can answer the questions they have if there are any. I'll compare the scores from now to the ones of my previous run.

Here is what I find important now:

Chapter 1: 967,815 (941,414) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rh9VWoFGoQ
Chapter 2: 1,214,655 (1,182,886) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6l-AoR7cE
Chapter 2 - Ayane: 960,959 (903,295) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHLkM_R4ukY
Chapter 3: 1,234,054 (1,225,466) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyh4Sy9vv4c
Chapter 4: 941,734 (910,963) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNzg8QXetOk
Chapter 5: 1,028,002 (967,624) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJxE7Wchp4
Chapter 6: 956,423 (819,254) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSFIZMuDmQk
Chapter 6 - Ayane: 1,019,580 (991,887) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB5sOyK5ZHE
Chapter 7: 1,382,820 (1,356,957) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYbXuke2gjc
Chapter 8: 1,332,379 (1,286,630) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDSI-iCho_A

Total score: 11,038,421 (10,586,376)
difference with previous run: 452,045

playlist for those interested: [ytplaylist]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... aFF7rIHcup[/ytplaylist]

The run is over and I've sweated a lot on Day 8. But I'm pleased and I can finally say that my highscore is secured.

Yours Faithfully
julius
Last edited by julius-ruler4 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 33 times in total.
reim0027
Administrator

Re: Not another Hard KR, Julius?

Post by reim0027 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:08 am

KR is so complicated on RE, compared to NGB. Not enough people do it for me to know what is going on, what is good, what needs to be improved, etc.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:14 am

I'm considering of restarting the run and improve my scores even more.
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

GL on your run. Having commentary videos of the series would be nice. I think you should go ahead and make them even if you can't get a volunteer as you're probably the best expert on the board for RE karma runs.

I never got into RE after I heard about the scarab glitch and seeing players just sliding back and forth waiting to chain SOB's. I'm sure there's more to the game than that but after NG3, I just couldn't bring myself to play it.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:53 am

I know what it feels like in RE. Unlike NGB and NGS the only thing you need to do is chain SoB until you have 5 or 6 enemies left and then release the UT. Fiend Busa told me that "meditation" can bait SoB and it worked for me.

Anyway I'll restart the run to improve my scores even more since I messed up on Day 1 and 3 (could have gotten 5k extra on Day 1, CC on Hard there was 950k). I think on SM you can get 950k on Day 1 and I believe you can get 1,2 million on Day 2.

I'll do the commentary myself and I'll give my own thoughts about it, while I can explain what everything means.
Thanks BigAlski, you gave me the courage to do this on my own.
julius
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 am

Bigalski wrote:...and seeing players just sliding back and forth waiting to chain SOB's. I'm sure there's more to the game than that....
Some videos do give that impression, but it doesn't have to be played like that. Some of the NG2 videos I've watched give the impression that it's nothing but OL UTs, but I know once you get the hang of it, that's not the case. And I think it's the same with NGB as well.

But I do know what you mean and I guess it wouldn't hurt for Team Ninja to alter the SoB mechanics slightly for the next game. That's if it's even included. But maybe they could make the SoB window not quite as generous as it is now, so that it's easier to miss. And maybe also punish the player more for whiffing, or even just make it so the enemies don't telegraph their setup so obviously (get rid of the red mist).

Anyway, I do think Razor's Edge is worth checking out, but if you've played NG3 to death already, then I guess there's not a great deal more to experience other than the extra characters.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:48 pm

Although I agree with you DH, there is still a bit more to RE then you would expect. I agree, SoB gives way much more points rather then just farming UT's. Not to mention they changed the combat style enormously and took over some elements from NG2 and the Hurricane packs.

Fiend Busa showed us the new intercept-technique (not quite intercept) and I think I can master this against many enemies which would make my run a whole lot easier

ON-TOPIC: I had to restart the run since I got that same bug again on Day 4 which costed me 100k that caused the cleared bonus to be 0. Still happy I got 1k more then last time. But now I know the enemies a bit better and I can use FB's trick to bait SoB.
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Dark Hazuki wrote:but if you've played NG3 to death already, then I guess there's not a great deal more to experience other than the extra characters.
I'd have to disagree with that, although RE is just NG3 in a posh frock it's a much better game overall than that fucking travesty of a game. Varied weapons and Ninpo, much better encounter/enemy balancing throughout, not to mention Ciceda Surge which in itself is a game changer. It has way more to offer than the Vanilla version.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:05 am

I was really just acknowledging the insane amount of time Bigalski has already sunk into vanilla NG3. I did as well. And as much as I love Razor's Edge and the improvements it made, I did suffer from burnout about halfway through hard mode. In fact, I still to this day can't bring myself to finish it. But yeah, if you can stomach more NG3 but with some interesting additions, then it's definitely worth checking out, Bigalski. :wink:

Sorry, Julius, for going a little off-topic. :anxious:

I can't believe you got that glitch again, that must be frustrating!
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks for the insight guys but I just don't think I can do it. I tried watching an RE video and just the music made me sick and not want to play! LOL

Looking forward to your first commentary video Julius.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:22 pm

That glitch is insane indeed, and it always costs me up to 200k because of it. So that is why I decided to restart the entire run and see how many points I got this time. I actually stopped recording when I saved using the first falcon and then I decided to do everything in one go. I have to admit I lost many points in the ToV, but I let myself get killed by Doku to retry the ToV and it paid off for sure. OP is adjusted and I feel a bit mad too because I barely failed to get 960k (959k is fine too knowing that 960k is possible).

I just loved how my old highscore got crushed.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Good news!
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:39 pm

just need to find some time to do the commentary myself as I need to train my father's dogs for hunting. Tennisballs are the best way to learn them to bring the animals to my father (off-topic BTW).

Now I haven't started Day 2 yet but the reason Day 1 took so long to record is because after saving with the second falcon, you have to do that gauntlet in one go, because when you restart from that savepoint, you will lose 20% of your total bonus you should get. This caused me to restart this until perfected 1 hour ago.

Anyways, it will be another day before the commentary is done.
But thanks for the support and the courage you give me all.

Yours Faithfully
julius
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm looking forward to your commentary, julius.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Well guys I have an update for you all. I just completed Day 2 and it was a real PITA. Still satisfied that I scored over 1,2 million and scattered my old record with 30k

I split the vids in part so that I can build the score and divide some commentary time so that I don' have to speak for like 25 minutes.
Last edited by julius-ruler4 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:26 am

Day 2-Ayane is done and I am pleased to say this: got an extra 30k out of that chapter. So now I can advance to Chapter 3 and crush the highscore there.

I will say this honestly, but I need a partner to do the commentary since alone is quite boring and I don't know what else to say on the vids.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm sure you can find things to talk about, if you plan out things you want to say.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:55 pm

I'll try that

Thx reim, I feel a whole lot beter now.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Quick update again, but there is somebad news. When I was asleep my middle brother, drunk as he was, stepped on my headset that I use on my PC. So the consequence is that my left ear is damaged and the microphone has died. So I cannot even record my own voice anymore. I planned to start doing the commentary today but I will have to get a new mic first.

Now about this run, Day 3 seems to be a PITA to get things done perfectly. I had to restart several times and I haven't made any progress. Still I am 84k ahead of my old score and I intent to keep it that way and even increase my aheadance. I can definetly make it to 10.75 million if I can even defeat FG on the ToV on Day 8.

I will get this done soon.
julius
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:17 pm

That's too bad about your microphone. I love watching commentary vids. Good luck with Day 3
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:41 am

Got a new mic, fresh from the store and I'll try it out with Day 1 p1. Day 3 is still not advancing as much as I desired but it will be done soon.
Alhazard
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Alhazard » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:10 am

Hey is there any update on this run? Played 3RE for the 1st time and wow SoB chaining and keeping the bloody rage counter going is no joke, pretty hard to do like in your vids. I really hope you decide to finish it.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Alhazard, I have an update here and I'm quite disappointed here with all those bugs that do encounter in my game. I tried to clear Day 3 and I keep getting 0 for cleared bonus and this means I have to retry the game from scratch.

For those interested: Another update is that my game itself freezes at the dinosaur fight every time I get a good score (maybe TN that fucks with me).
Anyways, chaining SoB and keep the BRKM maxed out is indeed not easy but in order to maximize the score for this difficulty, it is best to get a piece of paper and write down the amount of enemies there are on every fight (if you have an expert, which I am not completely, then you only have to look at your score to estimate the amount of enemies you have killed and how many enemies there are left). I did this on my Normal Run and was able to get above 8,9 million.

If you get every single point possible in the game without reloading a savegame, then on hard I do think you can get 10,75 million, if not more. I really bet that ST, Fiend Busa and/or KG are able to get these points. But for now I have no recording equipment, nor PC to do this (got disk read error and I use the PC's at school now).

About the ToV's: I tried out something on the ToV on Day 3 and it seemed to have some success. Unshield the shield dudes and I can bait the SoB and chain it easily. Or just have a regular dude or a stronger dude and lure them into SoB.

I hope I can continue this run and perhaps increase my highscore and boost it even more (can get at least 70k extra, and another 50k from Day 8 due to chaining SoB on the final goddess fight, Fiend Busa told me about the SoB trick I can use to maximize my score) to get that desired 10,75 million.
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Update: I had to restart the whole run because of that bug in the game. Nevertheless, I recorded Day 1 and my expectations exceeded my desires and my score exceeded this even more. 961k on Day 1 and I actually lost another 5k to 6k because of input lag (BRUH!!!). I took the score because I was satisfied after so many attempts (17 to be honest) and it kept pissing me the "F!" off :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: .

Alhazard, I cannot stress how difficult this is as well for me to keep that Bloody Rage going like this. But memorizing enemy patterns will allow you to exploit heir SoB window and their SoB frequency. I had to learn it by trial and error, and if you watch my videos then you should have no problem mastering the SoB and its frequency.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:41 pm

Ugh. That is a lot of time lost. At least you are able to better your score.