Opinions regarding this game

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Opinions regarding this game

Post by H.Smoke » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:40 am

I started to replay the whole NG series on PS3 and I'm about to finish with Razor's Edge and I wanted to know how the game is perceived among the NG community. Back in the day when I first played it I didn't like it, and now replaying it I'm starting to like it even less. In fact, I found myself wanting to drop the game at a couple of points, but I decided to finish it again to try and being more fair with the game.

My main problems are the obnoxious AI and the gameplay itself, although regarding the latter I believe it's more like a 'collateral effect' from the AI behaviour... I mean, the way the enemies dodge, block and attack is ridiculous, I'm playing on normal difficulty and sometimes I find myself amused at how cheap the AI can be. Moves like the ID, GT or WP which are all staples of the series are almost useless here since the AI evades and blocks perfectly most of the time and hardly gets stunned. In my opinion, this game was built with the Steel on Bone technique in mind disregarding everything else, that'd explain the almost flawless AI behavior and all the damage the enemies can inflict to you. Basically SoB saves you from all that and also kills most enemies in 1 hit AND gives you tons of karma.

Now the real problem is: NG1 was created with the essence system in mind and in a lot of instances subtly recommended the player to use the essence to perform UTs, but the game was perfectly playable without ETs/UTs. In RE I feel that it is basically 'SoB or Die', and sometimes you can get punished easily trying to deal with the enemies in other ways since they deal a lot of damage (plus everything else I already mentioned regarding its behavior). I remember that I have to stop playing on Master Ninja because the AI was driving me crazy. Your best bet was to slide around and wait for an opening to perform SoB.
...And don't get me started on some of the enemies. The alchemist are seriously no-fun-allowed, and some of the monsters that start appearing on day 4 are a chore to fight. The bosses are horrible, the Regent of the Mask is the only one somewhat good.

I could go on but at this point I think you'd get the idea. I just want to know what's the consensus about this game, maybe I'm approaching it the wrong way?

I believe this game only gets a pass because NG3 was so so so bad that comparing both makes RE look good. However if you compare RE with NG2 (or even NGS2) then you realize how bad the game is in some areas. Can you blame it, though? After all still is NG3 at its core.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Opinions regarding this game

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:12 am

The game's not perfect, by an means, but I thought Razor's Edge was a decent effort. It's main problem was that it was building upon NG3, which was...well, not great. I probably would have put twice the amount of time and effort into Razor's Edge if it wasn't for NG3.

But Razor's Edge did some good things like:
  • Chapter challenge. I always hated that this wasn't in NGB or NG2, so I'm glad they finally put it in this game. I also like that you can select any character and play any chapter. It's great for scratching those random ninja itches.
  • Other characters. The supporting cast are great fun to learn in this game, but next time, it would be cool to see the addition of some other characters like Muramasa or Hayate. Imagine doing a chapter challenge with Muramasa? :lol:
  • Steel on Bone. Yes, it's in NG3, but the slight change they made to this mechanic in RE made it much more enjoyable to use. I hope they keep it for NG4. Cicada Surge is also something I hope they keep.
  • Combat. What can I say, I like it.
Thing I hate about this game:
  • Ultimate Ninja. Just go home already. Nobody loves you. Feels more like a test of determination, than skill.
  • Boring boss fights. Especially the last one. Why end bosses have to be 70ft tall now is beyond me. :roll:
  • Lack of creativity on how to challenge the player. Oh, I know, 3 bosses at once! :awesome:
  • A few of the chapters drag on a little bit. Chapter 2, 6 and 7 are ones that come to mind.
  • Main antagonist. Seriously, he sounds like a pantomime villain. He couldn't even scare my 6 year-old nieces. Thank god for the Jap voice option.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi man. If you have trouble playing through master ninja mode try this great guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsjPFl0yL8
Maybe it will help you appreciate the game. I'll add that most guys like to play the missions over the story mode, so maybe you shoul'd try it, if you are really in the mood of playing this game. They also avoid ultimate ninja mode like Dark Hazuki said.

I personally simply stick to NGB/NG2. Despite there are great players supporting RE (which probably means it's a good game), I only play the orginal two. Sometimes I think I shoul'd try some Hayashi games, like sigmas or RE, but what I see in the videos keeps me away. And saves me some money wich is always good :D

But if you have the game already, try to learn from the guide and clear mn mode. Then check the missions, Kagerasimaru has tons of mission videos on his channel, maybe it will help you appreciate the game.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:53 pm

This game is loads of fun. Trials are where it is at.

I really don't like story mode all that much. I haven't even beaten UN, or even started it. I would have no problems beating it, but I just don't care about beating it. The AI is cheap and it is just more of a chore than anything. Basically I delimb, SOB, repeat until I can get my Scythe to level 2. Then, I 360T, delimb, SoB chain until I get karma healing. Boring as hell.

The UN trials are terrible, unless you are in the top 0.01% and can do them solo (and virtually force Scythe 360T spamming). That is poor design, since as the online component declines, so does your ability to play important parts of this game and you are limited to basically 1 move.

The adaptive AI can cause some problems. If you spam the same move, it will change things a bit to make that move less effective.

I also hate how the larger enemies can break their stun to hit you. Or, they don't predictably stun and will just hit you or grab you anyway. They are no fun for me to fight. The bosses suck, for the most part. The story is way too intrusive, and only detract from the playing. Things are way too expensive and you can't upgrade everything in the game.

However, all the weapons are viable and powerful, in their own way. They have great moves and fighting the humanoid enemies is awesome. I can free form with the KG better than I can 360T with the Scythe. If I can do that, anyone can free form. And, it is loads of fun. The SoB and Cicada Surge are awesome additions to this game and make the combat even better.

The trials (not including UN) kick ass and are what make this game great.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm not into online play so I don't know about the trials, but I don't think the gameplay will change there so I can't see it as a positive.

Maybe is just me but I can't think about one redeemable thing in this game, it is just a downgrade from the core gameplay in NG2 in every possible way. The slide maneuver, the slight input lag/delay after you perform anything, the AI, the enemies/bosses, SoB to win design... I hope Team Ninja improves their game when they start with NG4, although I'm finding myself to be more and more distant with Hayashi's philosophies so I wouldn't be surprised if NG4 supposes another letdown for me...
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Trials are a lot better than story mode. I also disagree that it is a downgrade in every possible way. It has a different feel, and that can be hard to adjust when you enjoy the feel of NG2 (or NGB or whatever). It took me a bit, but I really like it.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:23 am

H.Smoke wrote:I'm not into online play so I don't know about the trials
Are the trials online only? From what I know, the UN trials are a chore to complete in single player, but they shoul'd be more balanced in mn mode. Whatever combat system NG4 will adopt, I strongly hope Hayashi don't turn NG franchise into a multiplayer game.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:27 am

It has the best combat system and move set out of the 3
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:54 am

Ninja Noob wrote:
Are the trials online only? From what I know, the UN trials are a chore to complete in single player, but they shoul'd be more balanced in mn mode. Whatever combat system NG4 will adopt, I strongly hope Hayashi don't turn NG franchise into a multiplayer game.
I think you can do the trials "alone" (with the AI as partner) but since the AI is so bad playing online with other human being is recommended.

Also, I don't really like Hayashi's multiplayer modes nor the shoehorned kunoichi chapters. If I play Ninja Gaiden then I want to play as Ryu Hayabusa. I mean, if you are going to insist with other characters at least make its own chapters separated from the main story.
Fiend Busa wrote:It has the best combat system and move set out of the 3
Do you like RE that much? Well, to each its own I guess :biggrin:
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:14 am

I bought NG3 as soon as it came out, i was so pumped to play another NG game. I was absolutely dumbfounded in regards to the many (IMO) poor choices Team Ninja made. It felt, slower, the AI felt extremely cheap and unfair, the graphics were sub-par, the heavy reliance of the Steel on Bone, the story was horrendous as well. I don't expect some kind of hollywood script, just a basic revenge plot like the previous games. I have no idea what they were trying to achieve with that one. It just went wrong in so may places. Coming the stellar NGB and the great Ninja Gaiden 2, it was a major letdown. Fans were pissed. I beat every mode on it including UN, and i can say it was mostly tough for all the wrong reasons. They took out the Flying Swallow????? How could they let that happen? There's no blood?

Now, Razor's Edge. It's a different story. This game is actually worth playing. Admittedly, it doesn't have the same amount of re-playability as the others, but it corrects a lot of mistakes that NG3 made. They put the Flying Swallow back in, introduced the Kusari-Gama and the Lunar, the Piercing Void and Wind Blades Ninpo came back and the Circada Surge (which is pretty awesome). The Blade of the Archfiend is pretty sick in this game too. You just can't forget the blood and gore was put back in. The AI was improved, new enemies like the Proto Goddesses. I didn't really care about the new trials, but there's more, as well the chapter challenge, and you can play as the girls too. So there's a lot more variety. Seriously, they put in some real effort to try and fix NG3 with Razor's edge.

There are some things that simply couldn't be changed that let it down. At it's core, it's still NG3. So you've got some pretty bad Boss fights (T-Rex and the Goddess), the AI in the Ultimate Ninja Trials has a reliance on 360 Scythe spam as well as some forgettable locations, and the story is so bad it actually detracts you from playing it. I think there's also some serious lack of attention to detail in the graphics dept as well. Some of the cut scenes are laughable, especially from Team Ninja.

If they apply what they implemented in Razor's Edge to fix it, and improve on it, i think NG4 has some real potential.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:05 am

H.Smoke wrote:
Ninja Noob wrote:
I think you can do the trials "alone" (with the AI as partner) but since the AI is so bad playing online with other human being is recommended.

Also, I don't really like Hayashi's multiplayer modes nor the shoehorned kunoichi chapters. If I play Ninja Gaiden then I want to play as Ryu Hayabusa. I mean, if you are going to insist with other characters at least make its own chapters separated from the main story.
Fiend Busa wrote:It has the best combat system and move set out of the 3
Do you like RE that much? Well, to each its own I guess :biggrin:
haha yes, it has become my favorite out of the NG series though NG2/NGB story mode is my fav

NG trial has no A.I for solo thats in NG2 :p

NGRE its either yourself or with an online partner
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:30 am

Fiend Busa wrote:

I see, I thought It was like NGS2. Well then, as I said I'm not a fan of such feature, but the fact that you don't have to deal with the AI as a partner is a little step foward for Team Ninja.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:40 am

H.Smoke wrote:
Fiend Busa wrote:

I see, I thought It was like NGS2. Well then, as I said I'm not a fan of such feature, but the fact that you don't have to deal with the AI as a partner is a little step foward for Team Ninja.
lmao, the A.I for team trials was so god damn stupid
Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I am excited for NG4 because of this game. RE is an excellent NG game. The best? Probably not, but a fantastic addition.
I have said in the past that I think people have their nostalgia goggles on when looking at NGB and NG2, as those games are far from perfect (still in my all time favorites). There are horrible bosses (tunnel worm, giga death, awakened alma, spirit doku), and broken enemies (bast fiend I-frames, red dragon enemy in NG2, fiend dogs). People have just taken the time to learn how do deal with these annoyance so that they are no longer as bothersome. Some of RE's issues aren't nearly as bad once you know the appropriate solution (fast arrow shots at chapter two boss comes to mind).
For myself (as an example), I used to HATE alchemists with a passion, but now I don't mind fighting them and may even enjoy it a little, and I don't even have to use UT's.
There is an amazing game in there if you put some hours in, maybe not as good as the predecessors, but what else is really?
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:12 am

I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of surprised. I thought opinions here would be more harsh towards the game.

Well, is good to read other points of view about it anyway. As I said I don't like the game, and I recently finished it again on normal and I know for sure that I wont be playing RE again anytime soon, my complaints all are in the first post.

If you compare RE with NG3 then yeah, is a respectable action game, but I'll insist that when compared to NG2 or even NGS2 it starts to show a good deal of issues regarding its gameplay. But yeah, some people like it, some people don't... that's how it works in the end :biggrin:
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:42 am

Some people refer to it as the Devil May Cry 2 of the Ninja Gaiden series.

I'm actually playing through it right now. I want to make a video series on how to beat Ultimate Ninja without the Scarab glitch or Scythe spam. It will be an extreme test of skill.
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by julius-ruler4 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Not to mention, RE is quite fun but for some people (me for instance) KR on this game is the goal of the game.

Check this playlist out and then you'll see how boring it can become once you have to rinse and repeat the SoB.
[ytplaylist]http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... dHcVMr2v73[/ytplaylist]

This is my KR on Hard difficulty. It also shows some weapons that can hit some bosses and some weapons that are required to defeat bosses (360OLY XXX for Volf).
Just check it out. I also didn't use the scarab glitch, so this is completely legit. BTW, check out all annotations of Day 1. This explains the entire game.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:15 am

You know what? I'm ordering this game on Amazon this week :facepalm2:
Still look a weird game to me but the curiosity is high and I'm searching for something new to play. I'll pick up the PS3 version because my 360 is getting old and free multiplayer.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:25 am

Cool. If you need anyone to do some clan battles or trials with, then send me a friend request. PSN id is in my sig. :thumb:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Same here . . . hit me up if you want to play.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Cool, but I live in Europe. Anyway, I'll add you guys the first time I turn PS3 on.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:20 pm

I live in Europe, too. :thumb:
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Oh, didn't notice! I'll add both of you as soon as I turn PS3 on (this week, when I get the game)
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:14 pm

I live across the pond, in USA. I'm GMT -5 or -6 (depending on our dumbass "daylight savings time").

I just popped NG2 in (long time) and whipped out the KG (my favorite NG3 weapon). I have to say, I love the NG3 version much better. It flows better, has better moves, can chain better, more OL status, easier OT, more grabs, and the CS really really kicks ass.

The NG2 KG has better delimbing and is powerful on bosses (which the NG3 is NOT).
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:36 pm

reim0027 wrote:I live across the pond, in USA. I'm GMT -5 or -6 (depending on our dumbass "daylight savings time").

I just popped NG2 in (long time) and whipped out the KG (my favorite NG3 weapon). I have to say, I love the NG3 version much better. It flows better, has better moves, can chain better, more OL status, easier OT, more grabs, and the CS really really kicks ass.

The NG2 KG has better delimbing and is powerful on bosses (which the NG3 is NOT).
Mmh... regarding the weapons in each game I agree they 'feel' different. In my case for example I clearly remember the dual katanas being a little chaotic to maneuver in NGS2 but they feel more tame in RE.