Any tips for dodging Volf?

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
reim0027
Administrator

Any tips for dodging Volf?

Post by reim0027 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:54 am

I'm trying to practice Volf. Basically, what I'm doing is just practicing dodging. But, can't do it consistently. Any tips for dodging his specific attacks?
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Re: Any tips for dodging Volf?

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:37 pm

Resetting your guard against volf is an easier way to dodge than dashing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gm-RKY_nMo[/youtube]
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18 am

How do you "reset your guard" again?
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:09 am

Repush block button (L1)
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Ok. I'll try that then. Thanks.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Two questions.

That cool thing that you can reset the guard when it is broken, I thought you coul'd just hold block, then I realize I have to repush the button. Is it possibile in NG2 too?

About Volf: how do you behave when he attacks with punches? I had problems with it even on NG2, and I think I solved with counterattacks. How am I supposed to deal with it on NGRE? I watched videos with Talons and Dual Katanas, I see a sort of teleport move, but it is not the Cicada Surge, maybe is it the T/Y counter attack?
Kagerasimaru
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by Kagerasimaru » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:22 am

You can counter him when he does the punches:

Here's volf no damage with claws:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGLPXKpfWPA[/youtube]
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks Kagerasimaru. Ok so those moves that you guys do against punches are the T/Y counter.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:08 am

Ninja Noob wrote:Two questions.

That cool thing that you can reset the guard when it is broken, I thought you coul'd just hold block, then I realize I have to repush the button. Is it possibile in NG2 too?

About Volf: how do you behave when he attacks with punches? I had problems with it even on NG2, and I think I solved with counterattacks. How am I supposed to deal with it on NGRE? I watched videos with Talons and Dual Katanas, I see a sort of teleport move, but it is not the Cicada Surge, maybe is it the T/Y counter attack?
Repush L1 has worked since Ninja Gaiden 2004 (the one before NG black).

For his punch I do the following:

1. Dodge it
2. Counter it
3. Tank it (Take the small chip damage), on the guard break reset my block, reset block on the next 2 scythe slashes, before Volf slashes me with his third one Ill time my 360T at the same time to get some small damage and then follow up with a Hold T (Dragonsword)
4. Surge

If i mess up during his punch combo I just tank it since it doesn't do much damage, even on UN

Or if you in a middle of a move and it allows you to, you can shuriken cancel and dash out
Kagerasimaru
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by Kagerasimaru » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:40 am

Ninja Noob wrote:Thanks Kagerasimaru. Ok so those moves that you guys do against punches are the T/Y counter.
It really depends on the weapon tbh. Ex for DS you would use mostly S counter claws bc they're not strong with their S counter and you'd have to cancel or dash out of it i would recommend T for claws.

Play around with the weapons and see what works for you.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks guys. I tried tanking with resets and it's the easiest method for me. I'm really surprised to hear that guard reset worked for any NG game, I think a lot of people still don't know this. Maybe it's a glitch? Sometimes I feel guilty at using it... Counter/Surge method I still have to try. Dodging: I tried a lot of times and I never got to dodge this Volf combo in NG2 and RE either.

Off topic: I hope I won't lose my motivation with this game, because it is becoming a little repetitive to me, even in Trials.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:04 pm

Ninja Noob wrote:Thanks guys. I tried tanking with resets and it's the easiest method for me. I'm really surprised to hear that guard reset worked for any NG game, I think a lot of people still don't know this. Maybe it's a glitch? Sometimes I feel guilty at using it... Counter/Surge method I still have to try. Dodging: I tried a lot of times and I never got to dodge this Volf combo in NG2 and RE either.

Off topic: I hope I won't lose my motivation with this game, because it is becoming a little repetitive to me, even in Trials.
Its not a glitch otherwise it would of been patched a long time ago lol + it doesn't you give you an unfair advantage.

Resetting block is also a key strategy in NGRE as it's used to cancel into other moves and even some hidden ones :thumb:

You could just cancel into other moves by repushing T but there are actually some moves that are only possible to cancel into by repushing block
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:52 pm

Fiend Busa wrote:Resetting block is also a key strategy in NGRE as it's used to cancel into other moves and even some hidden ones. You could just cancel into other moves by repushing T but there are actually some moves that are only possible to cancel into by repushing block
That sounds cool, is there some sort of document I can find that contains all of these secret moves? Or maybe you can tell me the most important with all their properties?

I'm also curious about i-frames moves, basically in any NG games. There are some i-frames moves that are pretty much known very well, but sometimes it seems that alot of other moves in NG series have i-frames. Even parts of the combos. For example, in NGRE, you have the DS combo SSSTTT: sometimes it seems that the last two spinning moves on that combo are invincible, and enemy attacks pass through them, and often they automatically intercept sob attacks. Other times I just get hit during those moves, maybe their hitbox is just small so sometimes enemy attacks miss. I always wondered if even windrun (S+X) have i-frames, and I heard that even ->T/->Y launchers have i-frames.

I wonder if it is some "place" where I can easily find a lot of these informations, because some of these things are just very difficult to test into game environment. As I said, I tried to test some moves from the DS and sometimes they look to be invincible, other times I get hit. Props to those awesome guys who discovered the supreme knowledge :thumb:
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:16 am

Ninja Noob wrote:
Fiend Busa wrote:Resetting block is also a key strategy in NGRE as it's used to cancel into other moves and even some hidden ones. You could just cancel into other moves by repushing T but there are actually some moves that are only possible to cancel into by repushing block
That sounds cool, is there some sort of document I can find that contains all of these secret moves? Or maybe you can tell me the most important with all their properties?

I'm also curious about i-frames moves, basically in any NG games. There are some i-frames moves that are pretty much known very well, but sometimes it seems that alot of other moves in NG series have i-frames. Even parts of the combos. For example, in NGRE, you have the DS combo SSSTTT: sometimes it seems that the last two spinning moves on that combo are invincible, and enemy attacks pass through them, and often they automatically intercept sob attacks. Other times I just get hit during those moves, maybe their hitbox is just small so sometimes enemy attacks miss. I always wondered if even windrun (S+X) have i-frames, and I heard that even ->T/->Y launchers have i-frames.

I wonder if it is some "place" where I can easily find a lot of these informations, because some of these things are just very difficult to test into game environment. As I said, I tried to test some moves from the DS and sometimes they look to be invincible, other times I get hit. Props to those awesome guys who discovered the supreme knowledge :thumb:
SSSTTT has no iframes
360 has iframes
SSTTT has some iframes during the last two T's, im not exactly sure exactly at what point but its there
onlanding TT, the second T i believe has some iframes, again not sure exactly at what point but its there
SS->ST, the T has iframes, the part where ryu does like some front flip type move xD

windrun in NGB has no iframes
windrun in NG2 has iframes for the first few animations (you can tell by looking at the afterimages you leave, those points are where you have the iframes)
windrun in NGRE has iframes throughout the whole animation!

There actually a glitch move in NGRE involving the 360 launcher (Credits to showr18 for finding it). Ill use DS as an example

you do a windpath or an on landing 360 (ryu will do a 360 followed by a launcher) during the launcher you want to spam the crap out of X or A for 360. Ryu will then do some weird ass alternative windpath hop and come back on the ground, then just do another onlanding 360 and repeat. Has iframes throughout and rapes everything lmao.

unlisted moves for DS (I say repush L1 but they can be done by holding T as well, though I find repushing L1 easier)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFghKHw9qUg[/youtube]
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:41 am

This is the 360 cheese tactic I was telling you about that Showr18 found
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jf7sVYBt-E[/youtube]
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 am

Great informations, man, so much knowledge in one post! So good to know windrun has complete invincibility, so slide into WR into FS is pretty neat. I still don't know how to incorporate FS into my gameplay, I'm experimenting, I like how you can change direction with the move. Edit: so when a Gelf is chasing me and does that annoying running punch I can simply punish it with a windrun into windpath, passing through the punch with i-frames? Cool! Maybe this game coul'd feel better with all this knowledge.

XXXTTT: is it still one of the best combos for the DS even if it has not I frames? I see it's used a lot, and I use it very much too because of the delimb potential.
Fiend Busa wrote:you do a windpath or an on landing 360 (ryu will do a 360 followed by a launcher) during the launcher you want to spam the crap out of X or A for 360. Ryu will then do some weird ass alternative windpath hop and come back on the ground
I actually noticed that trick in many videos, pretty weird, good to know how to do and exploit it.

I didn't actually got those hidden moves in the video, but I'll test them next time I play. I guess that you can cancel T moves by pressing L1 at the right time, cutting the animation.

Sometimes I do a jumping X attack, then mash X and I get a different X animation. I tried it many times but I didn't found how to actually make this come out everytime. The jumping X move is cool but it seems to be pretty uneffective unfortunately.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:07 am

Ninja Noob wrote:Great informations, man, so much knowledge in one post! So good to know windrun has complete invincibility, so slide into WR into FS is pretty neat. I still don't know how to incorporate FS into my gameplay, I'm experimenting, I like how you can change direction with the move. Edit: so when a Gelf is chasing me and does that annoying running punch I can simply punish it with a windrun into windpath, passing through the punch with i-frames? Cool! Maybe this game coul'd feel better with all this knowledge.

XXXTTT: is it still one of the best combos for the DS even if it has not I frames? I see it's used a lot, and I use it very much too because of the delimb potential.
Fiend Busa wrote:you do a windpath or an on landing 360 (ryu will do a 360 followed by a launcher) during the launcher you want to spam the crap out of X or A for 360. Ryu will then do some weird ass alternative windpath hop and come back on the ground
I actually noticed that trick in many videos, pretty weird, good to know how to do and exploit it.

I didn't actually got those hidden moves in the video, but I'll test them next time I play. I guess that you can cancel T moves by pressing L1 at the right time, cutting the animation.

Sometimes I do a jumping X attack, then mash X and I get a different X animation. I tried it many times but I didn't found how to actually make this come out everytime. The jumping X move is cool but it seems to be pretty uneffective unfortunately.
To cancel an attack (cutting the animation) you don't have to time L1, you just press L1 and it will cancel the string

SSSTTT I would say is in the top 5 for best moves but SS->TT takes the #1 spot for me :p (Insane Damage and delimb rate)

I know a way to incorporate that flying swallow :biggrin:

If you do a move that knocks back your opponent to the ground (SSSTTT for example). FS into them and it will keep them flat on their ass and you will land next to them. Now the trick here is to delay your forward T launcher by a second and bam, you get a guaranteed air juggle/izuna drop :thumb:

If you don't delay your launcher, they will auto dodge it (if they not in a bloody state). I have no idea why delaying the launcher stops them from auto dodging lol

6:46 for visualization
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSfw0BuZCdw[/youtube]
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:56 pm

Awesome knowledge, thank you so much sir :thumb:
Maybe it's cool to cut these posts and make a dedicated thread.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:12 am

This boss is killing my enthusiasm :(

And the waves of epigonos and dogs that come before too :(

So sad I've been played so much and I still suck :(
Kagerasimaru
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by Kagerasimaru » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:04 pm

Which boss? Also if you think you suck, then think again. It takes so much time to improve and whether you're gonna spend the time to improve or not. Hang in there and you'll be fine. We're here to help each other improve.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:05 pm

@Kagerasimaru: thanks for the support man. I'm speaking of Volf. I already beat MN story mode, I started with scythe, farmed for karma, upgraded DS to lvl3 and used DS for the rest of the game, so I already beat most of the game with DS only, but not the first chapters.

Now I'm starting a new MN story DS only. The first ToV was tough, I had FS, Surge, Windpath, Void and only lvl1 DS, I had to use one health upgrade. Now I'm on ToV2, I got meditation, counters and lvl2 DS. The first two waves are easy, but after hundreds of tries they are becoming tedious, and that cause me haste which screw everything up most of times. Then the dogs, super random, they were much easier in Alexey ToV. After a lot of tries, when I get killed by dogs I just get very nervous.

Then Volf. I use guard resets, dodge last hit of his combos, I try to punish him, and sometimes he block and go directly into punches, so I shoul'd reset my guard again but I shoul'd practice more and more to be able to react to this. I basically know what to do, but it has become very tedious to get to him just to practice. The Volf in Mentor trial is not comparable to this one, because every combo he does is very easy to punish.

I've also tried to loop him with S Shuriken S T hold T, but sometimes he blocks or goes out of the loop and punish severly. If I just had a way to practice him it woul'd have been less frustrating, but just the fact that I have to do armored guys, Epigonos and dogs just to get the right to fight him... it destroy my enthusiasm.

I'm not bashing against the game, I think the game is great, it's just me, I just don't want to fight those waves before him anymore.
Kagerasimaru
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by Kagerasimaru » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Volf you should practice him in mentor 25. Thats what i did. I practiced him until i knew his animation ques. I use with DS the following combo: SS->TT. If he does the grab or the ground pound i use SS shuriken cancel.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:15 am

To me he feels a lot different from Mentor 23, the moves are the same but when I go to punish him with SS->TT he blocks and often he counters with puches. Maybe my game is glitched? Dunno :(
Kagerasimaru
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by Kagerasimaru » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:21 am

If he blocks give him a second to reset and try again with the S shuriken cancel. If you try and attack a lot hes a counter machine of bullshit and will take off massive damage on you.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:22 pm

I hate his counters. As soon as he blocks me, I reset and start again.