My First Run Through

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: November 18th 2012
ensatsu-ken
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

My First Run Through

Post by ensatsu-ken » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:25 pm

So, I finally caved in and picked this game up. Some of you guys might remember that I used to post on Iberians from time to time back when NG2 was a hot topic of discussion. After beating that game on Master Ninja and doing a few weapons runs, I got burned out and decided to take a break from Ninja Gaiden. It wasn't too long before NG3 was announced, and at first I was excited, but then I saw trailers and immediately became worried of how stripped down the game was. It didn't help that my worries were confirmed when the game finally came out and the reviews from both fans and critics alike shat all over it.

I still tried NG3 Vanilla and just flat-out didn't like it, I was so disappointed by that one game that I just lost all faith in Team Ninja. Then NG3: RE came out, but I was still too skeptical with TN to bother trying it. So now I finally got over my hatred for NG3 and decided to give it a whirl.

I'm on Day 4 so far, and while it's a substantial improvement over NG3 Vanilla....I'm still not convinced. I'm willing to give it a fair try, but here are my main issues with it so far:

-The timing for everything is very odd in this game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like Ryu has more recovery frames for a lot of attacks, even when he misses (and I miss a lot of FS's in this game compared to previous entries). This includes the slide, in which I have to seem to wait a considerable amount of time (in the context of a heated battle) after I've done a combo before I can evade. This proved to be a huge issue during the Dinosaur boss fight, for me.

-I miss having healing items. I don't like how healing has been integrated into the Ninpo system at all. It's challenging, but not in a fun way.

-I still can't stand how every fight feels like it's just a miniature arena with waves of enemies. I miss being able to use the environment to my advantage in NG2 (like how you could jump up to the archer towers in Chapters 2 and 11 to only have to take on one enemy at a time).

-The game somehow seems less responsive than previous ones. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to, but I've encountered more than one instance where I miss an OT or Ryu performs another action when I'm in range of a dismembered enemy.

-Oddly enough the one thing that I did like about NG3 Vanilla was how the bow could auto-aim ranged enemies in mid-air without restriction. It made this enemies less of a pain to deal with since they weren't the least bit fun to fight. In this game it takes up Ki, which just makes the projectile spam that much more frustrating.

-The lack of enemy variety makes the game feel monotonous. I'm so sick of fighting soldiers already, and I'm almost half-way through the game. They randomly put some fiends in there, but I didn't even have much fun fighting them since they are so much harder to dismember in this game than they were in NG2 with the XXY combo from the DS.

Anyways, those are my major gripes so far. I don't mean to sound whiney or anything. I'll try to be as positive about this game as I can when I update my thoughts on it as I go through it, but so far it's still a bit hard for me to stomach as far as the mechanics go. It doesn't help that I'm also playing this back to back with Bayonetta, but I won't get into that, here.
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My First Run Through

Post by Bigalski » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:11 pm

At least you're giving it a chance, I'm not and doubt I'll ever get it. Hope you have fun with the rest of the game though.
ensatsu-ken
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by ensatsu-ken » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:15 am

Yeah, I got it in a bargain bin for $5, so I figured that it's worth a shot, mainly because the huge NG fan in me wanted to say that I played it. That said, my love for NGB can only hold my faith for so long. I could forgive Team Ninja for the catastrophe that was NG3, whether RE truly manages to fix it or not, but if they prove that they haven't learned anything by NG4, then I'll be officially done with the series.

I still say that if they took NG2's combat and combined it with NGB's level of polish, level design, and enemy and boss design, it would make for my favorite game in the genre.

As it stands, NG3 Vanilla is a terrible hack n' slash game (IMO), and so far RE only manages to upgrade it to mediocre (still bad by BG standards). Since I said that I'll try to stay positive, though, on the plus side I do like that you can upgrade whenever you want in this game. Granted that, a lot of these upgrades are ridiculously costly, but I can live with that, I suppose. Still, I do miss having the Muramasa statues around, for whatever reason.

On another note, I'm really glad that they brought the Golden Scarabs back, and that you actually get rewards for collecting them. This should be a series staple in all future games. I have no idea why NG2 excluded it in the first place.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:30 am

Send me a FR (if you have the PS3 version): reim0027. We can do a few trials together and I can show you how much fun it can be. The fighting just takes some getting used to (just like NG2).
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:22 am

If you don't compare it to the old NG games it will be fun
ensatsu-ken
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by ensatsu-ken » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:14 am

reim0027 wrote:Send me a FR (if you have the PS3 version): reim0027. We can do a few trials together and I can show you how much fun it can be. The fighting just takes some getting used to (just like NG2).
Unfortunately I only own an XBOX360. :(

I'd buy a PS3, but I'm wondering if it'd just be better for me to wait and save up for a PS4, which is why I'm hesitant. That and I'm currently job hunting, so I want to watch my expenses for now.

That said, I would be grateful if any of you guys could give me tips and tricks for when I get to the harder difficulties. Mechanically this game is very different from the first 2, so I have to learn it from scratch.

Anyways, as for my progress, I haven't gotten a chance to play anymore today, and I probably won't have time tomorrow, but I'll see if I can get a few more chapters done on Sunday.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:32 am

Watch Kage's videos. He gives some good tips.
Kagerasimaru
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by Kagerasimaru » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:44 am

I have lots of good content on my channel for this game so make urself at home. I have weapon only runs on MN and etc so do check them out and u will learn a lot bout the game.
Dances with Ninjas
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Dances with Ninjas » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 am

Can we use this thread to rant about this game, because I totally am! I could write a thesis on the things that irritate me about the game, but I'll just start off the top of my head. I'm stuck on Babyface McLasers on MN, and holy crackers, what were they thinking?

"Hey we're almost done with this boss, but it kind of sucks. Should we redesign it to be fun and interesting?"
"Screw that, we're on a deadline! Make it rain down lasers randomly and call it a day. Oh, and that sequence before it where the player has to build up their ninpo meter? Make sure to use that one enemy that never uses its SOB attack ever so it takes like a year."
mickstupp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mickstupp » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:12 am

I absolutely loved the game! Mind you, I never played the vanilla version, and I really didn't like NG2... so what my opinion's worth I do not know.

But I loved it and enjoyed it very much start to finish.
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by julius-ruler4 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:46 am

RE is really fun since Hayashi learned from his errors with NGS2 and vanilla NG3. Play the game the way you want and how it fits you best. Also make sure to keep the base data for any case.

Julius
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:13 pm

Let's keep this thread about ensatsu's progress, not about ranting about the game. DWN - you could make a thread to talk about Babyface and get some tips for him.
Dances with Ninjas
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Dances with Ninjas » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:09 pm

It's not worth making a thread over. I'm sure the horse has been beaten to death over the past couple of years. It's a shame I was late to it.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:58 pm

Not like NG2 boss fights were any better than NGRE lol...

All of them were horrible except the greater fiend battles
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:25 am

How's your run coming, ken?
ensatsu-ken
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by ensatsu-ken » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:13 pm

As I said before, I didn't end up getting time to play on Friday or Saturday. I might not get a chance today either, but I'll see if I can at least get through a chapter tonight. I'll update you guys as soon as I make new progress. I'll also be sure to check out Kage's videos when I need help.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:04 pm

ensatsu-ken wrote: That said, I would be grateful if any of you guys could give me tips and tricks for when I get to the harder difficulties. Mechanically this game is very different from the first 2, so I have to learn it from scratch.
I assume you know that you can use Steel on Bone as a counter to enemy grabs in Razor's Edge? (When their hands glow red before attacking, slide towards them + heavy attack to kill them with Steel on Bone.) And that you can chain SoB by tapping light attack + towards nearby enemies during an SoB animation? And that SoB restores your health a bit? Well, if you know all that it's a good start! :smile:

The risk/reward of crippling enemies from NG2 has tilted much more towards 'reward' in RE, for one. Crippling an enemy will almost always make them want to use an SoB ('red glow') attack on you. If you learn to read these animations you should see them coming before the red glow, which is necessary because the red glow is often too late to react to properly. Anyway, the idea is that by crippling an enemy near a group and then sliding away and baiting them into their SoB suicide attack, you can SoB counter and then chain it onto their nearby pals, quickly killing a small group. I find this more reliable in most cases than waiting for the non-crippled SoB attacks becuase non-crippled enemies are much less predictable and use their SoB attacks more randomly.

Unfortunately, the gorilla fiends and the 'crow' type skinny fiends both sort of freak out if you delimb them and leave them alive, so I wouldn't use this tactic against those enemies. And if I remember right you can't SoB counter Alchemist grabs... at least, I don't think so? :think:

As far as combos go, there is a lot of heavy attack use in the combos and partial charges are important. Like, slide -> TT brief hold T, stuff like that. I haven't really memorized any combos. I find the large amount of moves and the subtle differences in them (and what I think is a poor movelist diplay...) a lot more confusing than previous NG games.

But generally speaking, I found heavy attacks and brief charges a lot more important to the combos than in NG1/2. One of my frequently used moves is slide towards + ->TTT with the sword. ->SS SSSSTT and stuff like that is also pretty good. I basically only use the sword.

Also, shuriken use and shuriken canceling is much more important than it ever was before. It helps keep you mobile and keep enemies off you quite effectively. Basic single shuriken tosses are fine; the 360 + O shuriken toss move can also be handy. I found that forcing myself to consciously shuriken cancel almost everything made Ryu feel much sharper and faster.

For the bosses, keep in mind there is a 'trick' to a lot of them. Like the dinosaur- there is a very specific progression to how you should handle the fight beyond just 'dodge attacks and punish'. I could tell you in more detail how to take care of him if you want. It can be a really infuriating fight if you're not doing exactly what the game wants, but if you do it's quite easy.

Anyway, there is definitely quite a learning curve to Razor's Edge when you're used to the previous NG games. Stick with it and you should find it pretty fun. The greatest asset of the game is probably the speed of the combat when everything's working right and you're in the flow of it.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:59 pm

The Alchemists do have a grab that you can SoB. I've only ever seen them do it when they are delimbed. It is very very easy to spot. It has a huge windup time and a SoB gives you a lot of Ki. It is good for farming them - delimb them, bait a SoB grab, and SoB (you can even chain it on other Alchemists sometimes).
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:11 pm

reim0027 wrote:The Alchemists do have a grab that you can SoB. I've only ever seen them do it when they are delimbed. It is very very easy to spot. It has a huge windup time and a SoB gives you a lot of Ki. It is good for farming them - delimb them, bait a SoB grab, and SoB (you can even chain it on other Alchemists sometimes).
Ahh, that's good to know.

I was mostly thinking of their regular two-handed grab, where their hands glow red. That seems to be an exception to the 'red hands' rule. But if they have a crippled grab that's SoB-able, that's definitely really useful!
ensatsu-ken
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by ensatsu-ken » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 pm

I actually didn't know any of that. The SOB mechanic is very different from the vanilla version. Im glad to hear that you can control it now, at least to some degree. I'll try it as soon as I start playing again. Thanks for all of the tips!
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:35 am

Oh, if you didn't know any of that, it should help quite a bit!

Also, be sure to ask specific questions. I'm sure there are small things about the game that most of us will forget that would help you out, if you just remind us. :ninjawink:
julius-ruler4

Post by julius-ruler4 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 am

You can bait SoB using meditation. I used it on my Day 5 Hard KR on those BSN. Thanks to Fiend Busa for this trick.
ensatsu-ken
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by ensatsu-ken » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:50 am

Alright, I finally got a chance to play tonight. I just got through Day 4, which finally introduced some new enemies. That SOB grab counter mechanic came in handy (especially during the boss fight, which I hated), but I still need to work on finding out how to predict/react to enemy grabs, since I botch those counters up quite a lot. This was really problematic during the boss fight since I got grabbed and dealt massive damage if I was off at all on my counter. I also still have trouble getting used to the extended recovery frames in this game.

I did try experimenting with different weapons this time around. I've found the. ES particularly useful, and the LS has some pretty powerful combos as well. That actually brings me to another point. Since the combos in this game are very different than in NG2 for these respective weapons, I was wondering what the go-to combos for each weapon are in this installment. For instance, in NG2, XXY with the DS had a high dismemberment rate. Does this game have an equivalent of that?
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:21 am

Scythe = 360T. Powerful and loaded with i-frames. You can spam the 360T and spam the dash-360T. That right there is all you need to beat the game.
ensatsu-ken
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by ensatsu-ken » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:36 am

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out on Day 5.