Ninja Gaiden 3 News + Info

PLATFORM: PS3, Xbox 360; RELEASE: March 20th 2012
bodaaf
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Re: Ninja Gaiden 3 News + Info

Post by bodaaf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:29 pm

I think they added more screenshots on the official website; I saw Mages (were those confirmed already?), Momji, a nice looking (destructible?) bridge and some neat vegetation :D

http://teamninja-studio.com/ng3/uk/unmask/index.html#
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Appears to be the Windmill Shuriken in one of the new pics. :D
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks for the link, bodaaf. That's one slick website they have there. Nice screenshots as well.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Blew up this pic from the NG3 website. Sure looks like the WS to me.

Also... decapitation? Or do the BSN come back from the dead still missing their heads from NG2? (<- Would laugh my ass off if it's this...)

reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:45 am

Those pics look awesome!
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:43 am

So, I rolled out of bed today and something was different.

I dunno if it's the new pics, or the release date closing in, or what, but... all of a sudden I'm kinda excited about NG3. :ninja:
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 am

^So you weren't already excited about it? :naughty:

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on it. A new Ninja Gaiden game is just what the doctor ordered! And from what I've seen, I think it looks great. And if it's not, well, I won't loose any sleep over it. I've got plenty of other games to get on with. :coffee:

I think the only thing that will put me off enjoying this game is crippling slowdown/lag. :flame:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm getting excited too. Those pictures are great.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Dark Hazuki wrote:^So you weren't already excited about it? :naughty:
No, not really at all. :oops:

I'm not happy with most of the gameplay changes and how much they've removed from the singleplayer. I have zero, that is zero interest in online coop or vs. play in this series so I have a feeling NG3's going to be short-lived for me, what with an 8 level campaign, gutted weapon/upgrade system and what looks to be significantly dumbed down difficulty.

So with all that in mind I've been pretty ambivalent about the game's release. :razz:

But at some point in the last couple days a little lightbulb came on and I realized that while this is clearly not the NG3 I personally would design- not even close, and that sucks because it's really the only series of its kind on the market- it's still gonna play a hell of a lot slicker than the non-Platinum competition out there, and it's still Ryu, so I might as well enjoy it.

And then they show the screens on Mt. Fuji, which you'd have to say is pretty lazy of them but quite smart because obviously none of us care if it's lazy, that environment + BSN is the SHIT and they must know this. Aaaand now I'm excited. :silly:
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Wasn't excited....Now I am. :yeah:
bodaaf
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by bodaaf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Dark Hazuki wrote:A new Ninja Gaiden game is just what the doctor ordered!
amen to that! :cheer:

The website has also revealed some of the faces we'll be seeing. Apparently, Cliff is the new Muramasa :shrug:

Momji's description clearly mentions that we'll be paying the Black Spider Clan a visit. Feel sorry for the already LOL

http://teamninja-studio.com/ng3/us/unma ... acter.html
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:07 am

Hopefully they'll get the PR into full swing. I'm slowly getting more excited.
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:55 am

Have to say I've felt pretty indifferent to the game until recently, saw an OXM vid on the dashboard the other day with those enemies that raise a block like shield from thin air, look like they'll be a ton of fun to fight and those new screens are looking pretty sweet, definitely warming to it.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:14 pm

I thought those shields looked dull, boring.
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:09 am

^Each to their own, they look like they might be a handful on harder settings, at least they actually look like they want to fight instead of begging for mercy like the scared mercenaries in London :terror:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 pm

They do look like fun to fight. When I saw those shields, I thought WTF?
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:14 am

I had a WTF moment too the first time I saw them, watched the OXM vid a few times and started to see potential in the fight, tactically that is.

Still, no matter what the combat brings I still think that whole SoB nonsense is the sorriest thing I've seen, and as I never play NG with pad vibration turned on the whole 'feel' of cutting them down is doubly lost on me. Hayashi really is an ass.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Yeah, I never play with the vibration turned on either.
bodaaf
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by bodaaf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:16 pm

another hands-on, with NG3 and the vita Sigma Plus;

http://www.ripten.com/2012/02/09/ninja- ... interview/

Did I understand this right; You can switch to Hero Mode at any time in NG3 ? :headbash:

And then the conclusion;

Why you should care about Ninja Gaiden 3:
A huge step forward for the series in terms of camera angle and gameplay variety.
Stunning visuals and immersive audio.
Smartly incorporated QTEs add to the drama without subtracting from the fun.

:shrug:

BTW; Prima guide is also up for pre-order :terror:

http://www.primagames.com/games/ninja-g ... guides/271
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:57 am

GameFAQS user DracoZombie is a game industry writer (or something along those lines) and has just had the opportunity to interview Hayashi and play the first two full levels of NG3. Here are his impressions, I thought it was quite a worthwhile read:
DracoZombie wrote:

I got some Hands-on time with Ninja Gaiden 3 on Tuesday, and am currently putting together an article on my experience. But I thought I might share a few tidbits of info in the mean time, in case anyone was interested.

There will be fiends in the game. No, I didn't see any, but Hayashi (and his translator) told me as much. For whatever reason, Team Ninja has chosen not to reveal them yet. I can only assume they have some story-related significance that they don't want to spoil.

Dubai is much harder than the London stage. I was kicking ass left and right in London, and never lost more than 20% of my health, until I got to the Regent. He will counter-grab you if you get too aggressive during the second part of the fight, which cost me most of my health. I beat him without dying, though.

Once you hit Dubai the difficulty jumps by a respectable level. The red-beret soldiers are quick, and their grabs can catch you by surprise. Even with liberal amounts of Ninpo-healing (the Dragon heals you), I was in the red at several points during my Dubai play-through.

The boss in Dubai is a flying chopper/tank thingy. You will use your bow for most of the fight. The battle is much more cinematic-QTE intensive than the spider-tank or the Regent, by FAR. The fight was fun, and I didn't die or miss any QTEs (most of them make sense, like pressing X to jump, L1-R1 to Kunai climb, Triangle for a heavy attack, etc. But It seemed like the least "Ninja Gaiden" of any boss fight in the series.

I like the bow, to be honest. You can free-aim if you want, but the snap-auto-aim works damned well, and keeps you in the action nicely. It auto-targets projectile threats first (rocket-launcher enemies) and otherwise auto-targets the nearest enemy. As I played through the stage, I got pretty comfortable with the controls (Left trigger auto-aims, right trigger fires). I was dodging and popping arrows like a madman, which felt much more engaging than I had expected. You are free to mix it in with combos for flair if you want, though they aren't quite as damaging a simply hack/slashing.

You can press select to see your weapon's move-list at any time during gameplay, kinda like the tutorials in fighting games. It's a pretty sweet touch, I feel.

Steel on Bone is... sorta random. This was the first thing I asked Hayashi about, to be honest. He tells me that it is not completely random, but it's not player controlled either. There seem to be conditions that must to be met in order for Ryu to execute the SOB, but what those are he wouldn't say. He seems to think players will figure it out as they play. Having played the demo for a good two hours (Hayashi had to pry the controller from my fingers), I can honestly say I couldn't figure out what triggered the SOB. Low level grunts can (seemingly) be SOB'd at random, but at other times won't initiate the SOB at all. Tougher enemies (the Red Beret dudes and the Alchemists) will resist SOB until they seem to be low on health. I asked if it was supposed to be a finisher, but Hayashi wouldn't say. I dunno.

Ninja Gaiden 3 has definitely been simplified: of that there is no doubt. It is easier to execute flashy moves, and you need to commit less to learning how to play than you did in previous titles. With that said, I actually liked my time with Ninja Gaiden 3. Considering how the difficulty of Dubai took me by surprise, I had hoped to see what the third stage might throw at me. I was genuinely looking forward to playing more.

If anyone has any questions, ill be more than happy to answer. I'm going out to dinner in a few hours, so If I don't respond tonight I'll do my best to answer tomorrow.
---
http://thegaminggab.blogspot.com/

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605993-n ... 3/61905012
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:39 am

bodaaf wrote:You can switch to Hero Mode at any time in NG3 ?[/b][/i] :headbash:
PLEASE tell me that isn't true. Please!
bodaaf wrote: Smartly incorporated QTEs add to the drama without subtracting from the fun.[/i]
GDI! I abhor QTEs in any form. They take me out of the immersion. Couldn't stand them in God of War 3.
DracoZombie wrote:

There will be fiends in the game. No, I didn't see any, but Hayashi (and his translator) told me as much. For whatever reason, Team Ninja has chosen not to reveal them yet. I can only assume they have some story-related significance that they don't want to spoil.
Good, fiends are back!
DracoZombie wrote:

The boss in Dubai is a flying chopper/tank thingy. You will use your bow for most of the fight. The battle is much more cinematic-QTE intensive than the spider-tank or the Regent, by FAR. The fight was fun, and I didn't die or miss any QTEs (most of them make sense, like pressing X to jump, L1-R1 to Kunai climb, Triangle for a heavy attack, etc. But It seemed like the least "Ninja Gaiden" of any boss fight in the series.
See above about the damn QTEs.
DracoZombie wrote:
Steel on Bone is... sorta random. This was the first thing I asked Hayashi about, to be honest. He tells me that it is not completely random, but it's not player controlled either. There seem to be conditions that must to be met in order for Ryu to execute the SOB, but what those are he wouldn't say. He seems to think players will figure it out as they play. Having played the demo for a good two hours (Hayashi had to pry the controller from my fingers), I can honestly say I couldn't figure out what triggered the SOB. Low level grunts can (seemingly) be SOB'd at random, but at other times won't initiate the SOB at all. Tougher enemies (the Red Beret dudes and the Alchemists) will resist SOB until they seem to be low on health. I asked if it was supposed to be a finisher, but Hayashi wouldn't say. I dunno.
SOB had better not be random. If it is, that will be a huge disappointment. It had better be 100% user-controlled.
DracoZombie wrote:Ninja Gaiden 3 has definitely been simplified: of that there is no doubt. It is easier to execute flashy moves, and you need to commit less to learning how to play than you did in previous titles.
Simplified? Bollocks. NG shouldn't be simplified at all. This is not supposed to be a mainstream game.

NOT happy. :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:49 pm

That review is NOT encouraging!! :(

I thought NG2 had gotten bow use mechanics down to being pretty controllable and fun. If I have to pull the LT to auto aim the bow and RT to fire, how and I going to hold block? Is block not LT??? Maybe I just don't understand. Kind of sounds like they may have fixed something that wasn't broken.

No blocking during bow use??? I'm so confused!
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Maybe the bow controls for the triggers kick in after you press/hold the projectile button to draw the bow?

Not entirely clear on that myself. I'd be a little surprised if they changed the base control scheme just to accomodate the bow. I'll ask DracoZombie. :think:

Hayashi's reluctance to explain SoB combined with the confusion an experienced player had trying to figure it out in nearly two hours of play time is bizarre. I'm almost beginning to wonder if it's going off the same tenets as delimbing (i.e., different attacks have higher % but overall there's randomness in triggering) but simply going the next step and making the finisher what has a random % that possibly depends on the enemy type and their health level.

So basically, if I land a weak attack on a guy with 35% health there's a 75% chance of SoB, but a weak attack on the same enemy type with 80% health has only a 25% chance? That sounds awfully nutty to me, I hope I'm wrong. Any other thoughts on what might be going on behind this mechanic?

As for disappointed/not disappointed I've given that battle up, guys. Obviously I'm pretty disappointed with some design decisions but I've made my peace- I'm gonna buy the game the first week it's out and beat the bag out of it, and if I hate it then, so be it. :wink:
Hicho9
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Hicho9 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:17 pm

To be honest, I think you are probably pretty close Murphy'sGhost on how the SoB mechanic works. I have always suspected that it will likely closely parallel how de-limbing worked in NG2----namely, player's have some degree of control in when SoB might happen based on combo/"highway" used, but not much beyond that. I guess I was never expecting it to ever be 100% player controlled (although that would have been best for sure)---I was just hoping that it would not be entirely random at least. If it is similar to NG2's de-limbing, I can live with it.

Not sure if you guys saw, but Dracozombie did provide some further clarification on Gamefaqs on the whole NG3 being "simplified" thing. It is not quite as bad IMO as it might have initially sounded:

The "simplicity" stems from how easy it is to execute cool looking and overpowered attacks, when compared to previous Ninja Gaiden titles. The rich combat is still there, but players don't need to learn how to properly utilize it as well, because button-mashing results in flashy and effective attacks. Think back to Ninja Gaiden 2, where players could simply mash the Y-button combo, have a high chance of maiming an enemy and subsequently finish them off with an obliteration. All you need to do (on easy and earlier parts in normal mode) is mash the Y button. Ninja Gaiden 3 is much very much like this. Mash basic combos, trigger Steel on Bone, kill enemy in an over-the-top gory splatter-show, and move on to the next enemy.

However, I am also pleased to say that the enemies are much more defensive and evasive than the enemies in Ninja Gaiden 2. It didn't matter if an enemy blocked in Ninja Gaiden 2 nearly as much as when an enemy blocked in the original/Ninja Gaiden Black. Ninja Gaiden 3 has enemies who are much more adept at actually defending themselves, which makes combat feel more satisfying at a core level. The riot-shield terrorists actually defend themselves as well as the Black MSAT enemies in Ninja Gaiden Black, though they aren't as effective at attacking. The Red Beret enemies are less defensive and more evasive, but are very good at chipping away at your health with lunges and grabs. You need to work at them a bit: catch them during their attack, break their guard, even counterattack, to lay into them properly, and it feels pretty good.

I'd say the learning curve is much more fair in Ninja Gaiden 3. My careless button mashing wasn't working nearly as well in Dubai: I had step-up my defense and evasion, and even resort to Ninpo to heal myself at several points during the chapter. By the end of the mission I had wondered what sort of challenges the game would throw at me during the next stage. I think I may have mentioned it before, but I felt that Stage 2 was on-par difficulty-wise with Ninja Gaiden Black's first stage. (Except the boss. Murai is a ball-buster, whereas the chopper boss is about as tough as the twin dragons in Ninja Gaiden 2 - not very tough at all).

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/605993-n ... 012?page=3
bodaaf
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by bodaaf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm

another not so positive preview

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/33 ... eneral-RSS

Depth may arrive in the full game (we only played a two-level preview) but for now it feels like Team Ninja have cut the heart out of this series. :pray: