Screen too dark

PLATFORM: PS3; RELEASE: September 29th 2009
reim0027
Administrator

Screen too dark

Post by reim0027 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:28 pm

So, I popped in NGS2 last night, in one of my other PSN accounts. First off, I can't believe how much I suck. :picard:

But, more importantly, the dark areas (like the sewers) are so dark, I can't see anything (other than a few lights here and there). I've increased the brightness - to the point where the light areas (Hayabusa Village) are exceedingly bright. I've also upped the contrast to compensate. That didn't help at all. I'm going through parts of these chapters via memory (that is over a year old, lol). I adjusted both my TV's and the game's brightness/contrast. I also have the option of gamma brightness, but I don't know what the hell that is, so I didn't do anything about it.

Any ideas? I'm running a LED TV. I don't know if that matters, but I know that plasma has deeper blacks and LCD has brighter colors (or something like that)? It really is quite annoying.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: Screen too dark

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 am

I'd mess around with the settings a bit more - gamma, contrast, etc. Certain games I'll toy with the settings until it looks just right.

I don't recall NGS2 being unusually dark- and my TV struggles with dark games, I turn the brightness up a couple notches from default on most games- but it's been a while since I played it. :think:
RebornLS
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by RebornLS » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 am

buy a vita then by ninja gaidn sigma 2 plus! that should fix it. :silly2:

sounds like an overall gamma problem. make sure your tv saved presets aren't auto, sounds like a tv is overcorrecting the NGS2 visual options
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:33 pm

I can adjust the gamma on NGS2. What exactly is it?

I can check my TV settings to make sure they are not on auto (I don't think they are).
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:23 pm

I'm playing NG2 and the brightness/contrast is just fine. So, it must be my PS3 that is too dark. I wonder if there is a setting to change this. :deepthought:
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:10 am

reim0027 wrote:I'm playing NG2 and the brightness/contrast is just fine. So, it must be my PS3 that is too dark. I wonder if there is a setting to change this. :deepthought:

Mmm... not sure. PS3 has plenty of menus to browse, probably something in there.

Without getting too technical (physics was never my strong suit anyway), the gamma adjustment is basically a blend of brightness and contrast, that is also different from the brightness and contrast settings. Mess with it a bit and you'll see what I mean. :silly: