NG2 Survival Guide

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Puregrunt
Administrator

NG2 Survival Guide

Post by Puregrunt » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 am

A few people have requested that i write up a guide on how to beat these Survival missions, so i thought it was about time i did so.

The Survival mission's are a part of NG2's Mission Mode. There are a total of 8 mission's. In each mission you are given just one melee weapon to use and a range of projectiles, namely the Windmill Shuriken, Incendiary Shuriken and the Fiend Bane's Bow. If one wishes to not only conquer these missions, but go above and beyond in Karma, one needs to master each and every weapon and mission type. I'll explain what i mean by mission type in a moment. Dragon Sword, Vigoorian Flails, Tonfa, Eclipse Scythe, Blade of the Archfiend, Kusari-gama, Falcons Talons and Lunar. These are the missions, starting from mission 17 to mission 24.

The mission difficulty is always labelled as "Acolyte", no matter how far you progress. But make no mistake, Survival mode will test your Ninja Skills to the max, even in the first round, where the enemy durability is only on the Acolyte difficulty. Each round you play lasts for about 15 minutes. There are 14 waves of enemies in both Format A & B. Both include a battle with Fiend Genshin at the end. You can give or take a few minutes depending on how fast you can get through them. I managed to beat a Scythe round in about 11 minutes because of it's incredibly destructive power. Most of the other missions though, are anywhere between 13-16 minutes. But as i said, it can depend on how fast you can get through it.

*You can easily identify what round it is by the music. Acolyte "Confrontation", Warrior "Thundering Peril", Mentor "Foul Power" and Master Ninja is " Twisted Shadows". They are all tracks from the Ninja Gaiden 2 soundtrack.*

Once you have beaten a round, you restart again. But when you restart the next round, the difficulty changes. The first round is Acolyte, the second is Warrior, third is Mentor and the fourth is Master Ninja. If you are able to beat the Master Ninja round you are restarted again on the Master Ninja difficulty. You are rewarded one Grain at the end of each successfully cleared round, to use at your disposal. You start the first round with no healing items in your inventory. You are given one Ninpo slot, which is filled with access to all Ninpo types at level 3 power. You have just 30 incendiary shurikens to use as well as 30 arrows. The Windmill Shuriken is available to use as well as the standard Shuriken. Your lifebar does not refill automatically like it does in the regular game, you must rely on blue essence.

The first round is easily the hardest. You have no healing items, you have to face 14 waves of enemies AND Fiend Genshin at the end as well. In the first round Fiend Genshin will be accompanied by 4 sets minions, whereas in subsequent rounds he only has one set. Your goal should be, at first, to beat the first round, then become proficient, so that your success rate in beating the first round is about 90%. Then you can start working on, not only beating the first round, but going beyond....It's not as hard as it first may seem. That is the biggest challenge. I would even suggest not bothering with the scoring side at first, because it may be too much of a distraction. You're not going to score much if you can't get through the waves! Learn the weapons, remember the waves, what enemy's you will face, know your surroundings and monitor your health. That is key.

Once you can master the basics, you can move on to getting BIG karma scores and becoming a Survival MASTER.

[font=Verdana]GREEN ESSENCE AND KARMA BURST[/font]
Spoiler:
OK, so in NG2's mission mode there's a new essence type. Green essence. The purpose of the green essence is to, whilst active, and being displayed onscreen, is to increase your karma score. It's was designed by TN to give the player a "burst" of karma. When you absorb one green essence, you get a 2x multiplier. Absorbing a second gives you a 3x, a third gives 4x and the forth one gives the player a 5x multiplier. Whilst you are earning karma by killing waves of enemies, getting instant kills, UT's, ET's, OT's etc, you are multiplying your score by the amount of essence absorbed. So, in theory you are increasing your score by 2x,3x,4x or 5x whilst the karma burst is being displayed on screen. There is also a timer on how long you can use this burst of karma multiplier to your advantage. So it really does become quite strategic on when and how you should use it.

A single green essence absorbed lasts for exactly 30 seconds before it expires. Maxed green essence (5x) lasts for exactly 2 minutes. I have actually timed this with a stopwatch. So what you want to be doing mainly is, not crossing your fingers that you'll get random drops to keep the multiplier up whilst you're carving through the waves, but working in 20+ hit combos into your fighting routine and keeping an eye on your combo count to ensure that you are making the most of 20+ hit combo opportunities. Sneaking in a few kills here and there right after UT's is one good way to get those opportunities.

The UT (depending on the weapon) will give you maybe a 10-15 to 20 hit combo already, all you need to do is target the closest enemy/s and do a regular kill and you will greatly increase your ratio of receiving another green essence. You will see this pattern in time. You will also get used to the 2 minute timer, and instinctively know when it's time to be generating more green essence. My video's are a pretty good resource in how to manage the green essence, as you will see my multiplier rarely drops. You definitely want to be chaining UT's when the multiplier is maxed, as this will generate massive karma. It also helps you get through the waves faster. But don't spam them too much. Use them effectively, without compromising time or 20 hit combo opportunities. An example is, say not to kill the last enemy of a wave with an UT, where you should be killing the enemy normally and preparing to charge the UT for the next wave. It's much more logical and effective.

As a guide, if the average length of one round is 15 minutes, then you should be aiming at generating at least 2 green essence every 2nd wave, or 1 every wave. The first wave of enemies you should be aiming for a 5x multiplier, and then maintaining that multiplier for the rest of the round.

Using the regular shuriken can also help with weapons like the KG, Talons and Scythe. Work them into your combo's to increase the combo count, and generate the green essence.

Maximum multiplier, UT's and lots of kills = Huge Scores!

Now you will get green essence drops from killed enemies, combo's under 20. Just absorb them if you need to and just think of them as a bonus, a top up so to speak. If you want to keep your scores high and as consistent as possible, employ the above method that i have explained.

There are some specific situations where it's pretty important to have a maximum multiplier. The Grey Rasetsu and Fiend Genshin. You get an additional 200K each if you can kill them before the timer runs out. With the Rasetsu, it's not that hard, because he's pretty easy to take down. Fiend Genshin is a lot harder. You have to pick your shots and do maximum damage to finish him off quickly. But just keep those two in mind for scoring purposes.

For some unknown reason TN decided not to award the player with the 200k bonus with the Red Rasetsu. You always get the bonus with Fiend Genshin.
[font=Verdana]HOW TO GENERATE THE RIGHT TYPE OF ESSENCE[/font]
Spoiler:
In NG2 survival mode, there are 4 essence types. Green, Blue, Red and Yellow. Green increases your Karma multiplier, Blue replaces health, Red fills your Ninpo slot and Yellow is for currency (Although there is no shop). What you do with the essence is up to you. It's in your best interests to use the Green essence to generate karma, Blue for health, Red should be always be reserved for Ninpo and Yellow for UT's. Because a Red essence is the rarest, you want to use the Ninpo sparingly. There seems to be some debate as to how the essence is formed and what causes it to generate the way it does.

Green Essence is generated more by doing combos of 20 and over, Blue will generate more often when you are low on health and as long as the combo is under 20, Red will generate very rarely with combo's under 20 and yellow will generate under any condition. There are still random occurrences where Green will generate with combo's under 20, but it is much less likely. Even though you will use the majority of your yellow essence for UT's, you will accumulate it and it does add to your final karma at your point of death. There would be no point in trying to save up yellow for score, its a much better tactic wise to use it strictly for UT's.

If your Karma burst is at 5x and you are comfortable with your health and feel confident proceeding, use any blue or green for UT's. When you use a Blue, Red or Green essence for an UT, it is charged instantly to level 2. You need 2 yellow essence to do the same thing.

The last thing is not to rely solely on the right type of essence dropping under those conditions. This is why you have to have a plan B. The game can be random at the worst of times. You may get nothing but yellow with combo's under 20 when you have absolutely no health. This is why it's critical you know the waves of enemies properly and are good enough with each weapon if such a problem arises.
[font=Verdana]DEALING WITH THE ARMORED FIEND DOGS[/font]
Spoiler:
These guys are like the Achilles heel for most NG2 players. It took me a long time to get comfortable with them. They can pounce on top of you, wind path off of your head, bite your ankles, dive at you, throw incendiary shurikens at you, and the last one, the suicide bomb. I think everyone's had a taste of that one. You face them in missions 17 (Dragon Sword), mission 20 (Eclipse Scythe), mission 21 (Blade of the Archfiend) and mission 22 (Kusari-gama). It helps to have a Ninpo available, but it's not critical. If you are to use a Ninpo, use an Inferno on them. You will kill 3 with one blast. To get through their wave you need to have a few certain skills under your belt, or a whole lot of luck. Obviously you can just outright attack them with whatever weapon you are using, but it's has more to do with executing moves that have lots of i-frames, chaining UT's and constant movement.

The enemy AI is looking for one thing and one thing only. How and when they can exploit your recovery frames. This is why i-frames are so important. The more i-frame moves you can pull off and incorporate into your combo's and UT's, the less likely you are to be tagged, bitten or suicide bombed.

There are many moves that have i-frames. Even just the basic wind run (X+A) will provide i-frames. Flying swallow, 360 ET and UT, Gullotine Throw, Izuna Drop, counter attack (X or Y), just to name a few. When you get tagged by their incendiary shuriken, with the right timing you can just tap X+A together and you are invulnerable. You do not want to be trying to hit them with a charged projectile, like the Bow or WS. They will take full advantage of your recovery and go for the jump and pounce. Maybe a suicide bomb if you're unlucky.

Keep on the move, use the essence for UT's. Move when the UT's finishes, keep moving, keep using the wind path to target them and abuse the i-frame moves. Ninpo them if you have one. Below, where i have put the waves of enemies, i will list the most effective combos with each weapon to take them down. It's up to you to execute them!

[font=Verdana]THE POWER OF THE WINDMILL SHURIKEN[/font]
Spoiler:
Now this is a weapon. It's so powerful it has it's own Ultimate Technique!

In survival you should be using it a lot. For ranged, projectile UT's. It slices through practically everything! Ninja's, Lycans, Gaja's, Marionettes, Tac Ninja's, Beetles, Bone Scorpions, Van Gelfs (Pink and Green), Mages...the LOT. It does not work against the Mech's (both types), nor does it work on Rasetsu, Red Gala's or Genshin. It's prefect for doing OL UT's from a distance. It even staggers enemies backwards without doing its UT. Incorporate it into your repertoire, use it when you have the 5x multiplier and chain it into your OL attacks. It's unlimited to use and generates a lot of karma.
[font=Verdana]RECOVERY WAVE, BEETLES AND BONE SCORPIONS[/font]
Spoiler:
In both formats, there is a recovery wave. In format A, it's beetles. In format B, it's Bone scorpions. It is the very first wave after the Rasetsu fight. You can use it for two things. Generating even more karma (if you still have multiplier) or the more common one, recovering some health to prepare yourself for the next wave of enemies. I would only go with the former method if you are a seasoned Survival player, it's high risk. For most players run clockwise, or anti clockwise around the perimeter of the arena, dash jumping and throwing the Windmill Shuriken. Watch the combo meter doesn't exceed 20 if you are trying to generate some blue to top up your health. If you have enough health, go for the multiplier. Ideally you need a bit of both. Your objective should be to make it up to the Rasetsu with a 5x multiplier, kill him, get your 200k bonus and get some blue and green for the waves after the recovery section. In each format, the waves after the recovery section are, Giant Mechs with Red Gajas, and Armored Fiend Dogs. You want to be as prepared as possible as both these waves are very challenging.

If you do decide to generate some karma instead of using it to recover, kill a few enemies with the WS, one you have generated some essence, switch to the Bow and do either OL charged UT's with it, of just regular UT's. Watch for how close the enemies are though as it doesn't take much to miscalculate where they are distance wise.

[font=Verdana]STAGGERING ESSENCE AND ULTIMATE TECHNIQUES[/font]
Spoiler:
A lot of NG players are aware of essence staggering, or essence dragging if you will. Essence speeds up your UT. When you hold block, the essence does not get absorbed (providing there are still enemies on screen). You use this to chain UT's, do OL UT's, Projectile UT's and provide i-frames whilst in the UT animation. You need to get into the habit of utilizing the block, but as your moving about. Ryu will still move just as fast as he does without it. He will not absorb essence if you are in the middle of a combo. It's only when you release the block button and essence is nearby. Wind Path into OL UT's works well, Wind Path into OL projectile UT's (WS), assisting in UT charge speed for the next wave etc.

You want to (ideally) start each wave with an UT. Always watch where the last enemies are in each wave, as its going into its dying animation or is killed, immediately dash jump into an OL UT status. If there is essence still there and the enemy is still going through it's death animation you can use it to speed up the charge. If not, most times if you are quick you can almost always get to level 2 UT status. Some waves are better starting with a projectile UT and others a regular UT. One really easy way to tell if you've killed an enemy (especially the last one) is to watch the kill counter bonus. That's how i identify when i've killed the last Fiend Dog and can start my UT charge.

Regular Ninja waves - Projectile or Regular UT
Mech Waves - Regular UT
Rasetsu wave - Regular UT
Fiend Genshin - Regular UT
Fiend Dog wave- Regular UT
Van Gelfs and Tac Ninja waves - Projectile or Regular UT
Ninja's and Gaja's - Projectile and Regular UT
Ninja's and Dogs - Regular UT
Red Dragon Galas and Ninja's - Regular UT's
Incendiary Nina's - Regular UT's

[font=Verdana]NINPO[/font]
Spoiler:
In Survival, you have all the same Ninpo as you do in the regular game. The Art of Inferno, Art of Wind Blades, Art of the Piercing Void and The art of the Flaming Phoenix. All are maxed at level 3. You only need to use 2 of them. Inferno and Wind Blades. The other 2 are practically useless for Survival. Wind Blades is best for when you're surrounded and Inferno for targeting more powerful enemies or for ranged attacks, like fiend mages for example. Wind Blades is generally the best one to use primarily as it does the most damage in close quarters, provides i-frames and kills enemies faster so it allows for faster essence gathering.

[font=Verdana]FIEND GENSHIN[/font]
Spoiler:
Here's another part that puts a lot of players off. Fiend Genshin. It would be challenge enough just to fight him one on one, but you have to fight his minions as well. This fight is very tough, not just because Genshin is so powerful, but you are not at full health by the time you face him. The first round is the most challenging. You have no grains as back up, you probably won't have a Ninpo and your health bar will not be in optimal condition. The developer made this particular fight purposefully difficult. It truly is a badge of honor to beat him in the Acolyte round, it takes real skill to do it. When you fight Genshin in format A, he has 4 sets of Fiend Mages with him, and in Format B he has Tac Ninja's. Format A is obviously the harder of the two. Tac Ninja's die pretty easily, they really only present a challenge when they keep trying to repeatedly stun lock you with gun fire whilst you are defending against the myriad of Genshins attacks. The Fiend Mages can be a real nightmare. They can teleport, throw fireballs at you, the dreaded flame pit, the flaming ground streak, suicide grab and just their general grab and stun. Anything to leave you open to a devastating attack from Genshin.

In both fights, you want to be getting rid of those minions FAST. That way you can fight Genshin one on one. You will never defeat him whilst there are multiple minions on screen. There is just way too much going on, firstly for you to even see, and secondly you won't even be able to do one decent combo without at least one minion exploiting that recovery frame (as small as it may be), and the next thing you know you've been underworld dropped and the whole round has gone to waste and you have to restart. For the Tac Ninja's, almost anything will do. The mages, you will be relying more on the GT. It can be weapon dependent. The Talons: Flying Swallow into Izuna Drop: Dragon sword: Izuna drop, 360 Y into Izuna Drop, Scythe use the GT, Kusari-gama use the GT, Lunar: XXY or GT, Tonfa use the GT, 360 Y or Izuna drop. If you are skillful, combo's into Heavenly Justice work well. Blade of the Archfiend: Izuna drop, YYYY, X (hold Y), forward (hold) Y or GT: for the Flails use the GT.

You have to keep an eye on Genshin at ALL times. If you create too much distance from him, he will try to projectile attack you (flaming shuriken) , he will also try the ground-smash flame attack. If you are using mainly the GT to dispatch the minions, you will be invulnerable when he does these. Most other moves will protect you as well, especially the Izuna drop. The problem with not using the GT, is that when your move animation completes you are open to attack, even for such a small window of opportunity, it can and will be exploited. If you have a Ninpo, or even if the minions dropped a red essence, use the Wind Blade ninpo. What i do, is try to coax the enemies into coming after me, so they're in close then i tap Y + B together and annihilate them with a Wind Blades, killing all 3 in one go. Watch the kill counter to see how many enemies made contact with the Ninpo so you know its safe to attack Genshin. Ninpo does not work against Genshin. You may get a lucky Inferno connect, but its so rare that its not even worth it to depend on it in any way.

Now that you are more or less comfortable with getting rid of the minions, you can focus on the Boss. Genshin has a few very powerful attacks to watch out for. The Underworld drop is probably the worst. You need close to a full health bar to survive even just one- on Acolyte. Anything Warrior and above is instant death. You can see him trying to set you up for one, he will end his combo with a guard break, you stagger back and he pile drives you. Its very fast. Other times, he will guard break but wont perform the drop, you just kinda get flung up in the air and come back down again.

His flaming shuriken attack as fairly easy to avoid. Just dash through it. When he does his ground flame shockwave, just press A to jump vertically. His regular combos, just make sure you dash-block away from them. Don't try to attack him whilst he's still in his animation, you will come off second best. Wait until he's done before you perform your combo. There is one other attack he does that you need to look out for. What he will do is, standing still, swish his sword back and forward, there is an audio cue that goes with it, IIRC he kinda laughs at Ryu. If you are too close to him, he unleashes a massive guard breaking combo that strips off about 80% of your health bar. He manages to land one on me in one of my videos. If you see him doing it, create distance and dash out of the way.

There are lots of different combos you can do on him that are effective. The execution is highly dependent on how intimately you know that weapon. For example with the Dragon Sword, a simple YYY will do damage, but if you land the Dragon of Heaven or Earth it does much more damage. Your window of opportunity to strike is almost immediately after he does his combo. You want to use attacks that can't be interrupted, like the BoTA YYYY. Once that move starts and connects, it will complete. Moves like tapping XXXX will be countered. He can sometimes, start another attack animation as you start yours. If he does, back off, play defensive and wait for your next opportunity. Keep your distance between 1-2 dashes away.

Listed below are some great combos i use for him that work very well, some are basic and some more advanced. Learn those weapons fellow Ninjas!

TRUE DRAGON SWORD
Basic: Steel Splitter X,X,X,Y Fang of the Wolf X.X,Y,Y Ikaruga X,X,Y ->Y Undefeatable Demon Y,Y,Y Helmet Splitter X,Y,Y
Advanced: 1/2 Helmet Splitter into WS throw into on-landing Gleaming Blade X,Y (launches) B, OL 360 Y Dragon of Heaven ->X,X->.Y,Y,Y->Y Dragon of Earth ->X,X->.Y,Y,Y->Y (Hold) Cloud Dragon Flying Swallow X (Hold) Y,Y,Y,Y. Dragon of Heaven (Easy version) Y,Y->Y (Whilst running) Dragon of Earth (Easy Version) Y,Y->Y (Hold) (Whilst Running)
FALCONS TALONS
Basic: Lions Roar X,X,X,X,X Charging Boar Y,Y,Y Piercing Wolf's Fang X,Y,Y,Y Thunderous Earth -> Y,Y
Advanced: Panther Tail Kick X,X,X->X,X,X Flying Tiger's Claw into WS into on-landing Ring of Nine Tails X,Y (launches) B then OL 360 Y
TONFA
Basic: Cradled Moon into Oblivion Blosson X,Y,Y Fleeting Blossoms -> Y,Y Fluttering Peacock X,X -> Y
Advanced: Fleeting Blossoms into Heavenly Justice into Overlapping Storms -> Y,Y (press A) then 360 Y (Connect one of these for MASSIVE damage) Fluttering Peacock into Heavenly Justice into Overlapping Storms X,X -> Y (press A) then 360 Y
BLADE OF THE ARCHFIEND
Basic: Swooping Dragon's Fang Y,Y,Y,Y Purgatory Slash X (Hold) Y Blade of Dharma's Way X,X,Y,Y
Advanced: Swooping Dragon's Fang into Rise to Heaven Y,Y,Y,Y then 360 Y Zhong Kui into WS into Rise to Heaven X,Y(launches) B then OL 360 Y
LUNAR
Basic: Gleaming Shadow X,X,Y Ying-Yang Thrust X->X,X,X Moonlit Shadow ->Y,Y,Y Phantom Moon Y (Whilst Jumping)
Advanced: Molten Rock X,Y,X,X,X Strange Soul X,Y,Y,Y,Y
KUSARI-GAMA
Basic: Fuji Drop -> X,X,X,X,X Thunderous Flying Sparrow -> X,X,X,Y Temple Bell Drop X,Y,Y,Y,Y Ear Slicer X,X,X,Y,Y,Y Slicing Wind into Thunderous Light X (while jumping) then Y,Y
Advanced: Dancing Maple -> Y,Y,Y,X One Hundred Flames X,Y,Y,X,X
ECLIPSE SCYTHE
Basic: Demon's Jaws X,Y,Y Cry of Ares Y,Y,Y Blood Rain Y,Y (while jumping, must be at close range)
There are no advanced combo's that i would recommend with the Scythe, it's too slow :ninja:

FORMAT A
Dragon sword
Kusari-gama
Blade of the Archfiend
Eclipse Scythe

FORMAT B
Vigoorian Flails
Falcons Talons
Tonfa
Lunar

[font=Verdana]WAVES AND ENEMY TYPES, INCLUDING INDIVIDUAL WEAPON COMBOS[/font]
Spoiler:
FORMAT A
Wave 1
Regular Black Spider Ninja with Dual Katanas and Claws
This is the wave that you really want to get that 5x multiplier going. So you want to be using long combos. Shurikens can help immensely, especially with weapons that have more recovery or a slower wind up (such as the Scythe and KG)
Thankfully this wave doesn't represent any real danger, the Ninja here are relatively weak. However this is the first wave....

True Dragon Sword
Jump shuriken into on landing Gleaming Blade (A towards enemy, B then OL 360 Y)
Helmet Splitter with shuriken into on landing Gleaming Blade (X,Y,B then OL 360 Y)
Helmet Splitter with shuriken into on landing Gleaming Blade into Izuna Drop (X,Y,B then OL 360 Y, X,X,X,Y)
Flying Swallow with shuriken into Gleaming Blade into Steel Splitter, shuriken then on landing Gleaming Blade (Jump towards enemy A -> Y, B, OL 360 Y, X,X,X,B the OL 360 Y)
All these combo's can be stringed over and over using the shuriken to disrupt any enemy attacks and generate high combo strings. You can also spam Gleaming Blades with shurikens with above average success rate.

Blade of the Archfiend

Great Chasm YY->Y
Great Chasm into Zhong Kui Heavenly Sparrow Y,Y->Y then X,X,X pause Y
Great Chasm into Zhong Kui Izuna Y,Y->Y then X,X,X,Y

Eclipse Scythe
Jump shuriken into Blood rain A, B then Y
Jump shuriken into Immense Raven into Blood Rain A then X, B, Y

Kusari-gama
Jump shuriken into on landing Furious Wind A then B, OL 360 Y,Y,Y

*Make sure the Windmill Shuriken is equipped and ready for the next wave*

Wave 2
Incendiary Ninja, Regular Spider Ninja with Dual Katanas and Bow's + Regular Mages

Wave 3
Incendiary Ninja and Regular Dogs

Wave 4
Regular Spider Ninja with Dual Katanas and Lycans

Wave 5
Incendiary Ninja and Grey Gaja's

*When the last enemy is dying, have a level 2 UT ready and fully charged for the Rasestsu. He will 99% of the time spawn right in front of you. Some weapons will kill him outright, like the BoTA UT, most will put him into OT status. The rest, he only require a few small hits and he's dead. Easy way to get the 200K bonus*

Wave 6
One Grey Rasetsu and Red Gaja's

Wave 7
Recovery Wave with Armored Beetles

Wave 8
Armored Fiend dogs

Wave 9
Giant Mech's and Fiend Mages

Wave 10
Red Dragon Gala, Incendiary Ninja and Fiend Incendiary Ninja

Wave 11
Fiend Mages and Chainsaw-Cannon Zombies

Wave 12
Giant Mech's, Lycans and Incendiary Ninja's

Wave 13
Multi Rocket Tac Ninja's
Use the GT and (sparingly) use incendiary shuriken to get through this last wave.

Wave 14
Fiend Genshin and Minions (4 sets of 3 Fiend Mages)

Spoiler:
FORMAT B

*It plays the same as Format A. Exceptions are: some enemy variety with no bonus for beating the Red Rasetsu*

Wave 1
Regular Black Spider Ninja with Dual Katanas and Machine gun Tac Ninja's

Tonfa
Jump shuriken into on landing Overlapping Storms A, B then OL 360 Y
Single strike into Heavenly Justice into Overlapping Storms X,(A) 360 Y
Chain in an Izuna drop for an extra boost
Any basic combo that is followed by Heavenly Justice and 360 Y will have a long combo count

Lunar
Bladed Spider Y,Y,Y,Y,Y
Bladed Spider into Moonlit Shadow into Izuna Drop Y,Y,Y,Y pause, then ->Y,Y,Y,X,Y
Molten Rock X,Y,X,X,X
Strange Soul X,Y,Y,Y,Y
You can chain in the Bladed Spider at the end of any combo for maximum combo count

Flails
Dragon Slaughter X,X,X->X,X,X,X,X,X

Falcons Talons
Partial Flying Tigers Claw with shuriken into on landing Ring of Nine Tails X,Y,B then OL 360Y
Jump shuriken into on landing Ring of Nine Tails -> A, B then OL 360 Y
Wings of the Vermillion Bird with shuriken into on landing Ring of Nine Tails X,X->X,Y,Y,Y,Y then B into OL 360 Y (Advanced combo)

Wave 2
Incendiary Ninja and Single Rocket Tac Ninja's

Wave 3
Single Rocket and Machine gun Tac Ninja's with Pink Van Gelfs

Wave 4
Pink Van Gelfs and Grey Gaja's

Wave 5
Multi Rocket Tac Ninja and Machine Gun Tac Ninja's

Wave 6
One Red Rasetsu with Baby Mech minions

Wave 7
Recovery Wave with Bone Scorpions

Wave 8
Giant Mechs and Red Gaja's

Wave 9
Green Van Gelfs and Single Rocket Tac Ninja's

Wave 10
Hoverbots and Fiend Mages

Wave 11
Single Rocket and Machine Gun Tac Ninj'as

Wave 12
Giant Mech's, Baby Mechs and Marionettes

Wave 13
Single Rocket and Multi Rocket Tac Ninja's

Wave 14
Fiend Genshin and Minions ( 4 sets of Tac Ninja's)

PG :thumb:

WIP: Weapon Tactics and Basic Techniques/Combos
RebornLS
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Re: NG2 Survival Guide (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post by RebornLS » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 pm

:whistle: - you are a great person!
Puregrunt
Administrator

Re: NG2 Survival Guide (90% Complete)

Post by Puregrunt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 am

Whew! Almost done. i hope it's not too much to digest. I'm trying to make it as comprehensive as i can, so that anyone can come back and review what they've read and it will help them defeat these missions. I just have small section for weapon combos to go and a brief breakdown of basic techniques to get through each wave. The rest is up to the player :thumb:

There might be some spelling mistakes in it, ill be going over it asap.
reim0027
Administrator

Re: NG2 Survival Guide (95% Complete)

Post by reim0027 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Are you going to put the individual topics in spoilers to make it easier to read?
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:33 pm

I think so :smile:
MasterRyukenden
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by MasterRyukenden » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:07 pm

Excellent! This will help many. Lot's of people still dont understand the basics of survival missions. Many think that completing the first round gives you gold and don't know you can accomplish gold way before plus weapons tips on how to defeat enemies is a good help for anyone. Well done. :clap:
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:01 am

Ill have to edit the tags, LOL. Most of the explanations are how i analyse it, i just hope its got enough resources to help those who want to learn it, and its not too hard to follow.

Weapon description and enemy breakdown is next. Anyone can get gold with any weapon at the Rasetsu, if they can keep the multiplier up.

Its all in the execution. We still have no internet at home and im anxious to get this KG run up.

:thumb:
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by PinnacleInSync » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:15 am

Great post! Awesome you dissected all the individual waves!

If I may be so bold to point out that weilding should be wielding in both format A en B.

And a question about staggering; I noticed that you can release LT and only absorb essence closest to you, whilst essence further away still stays put when releasing LT. It feels more like NGB. Do you roughly have an idea what the the minimum distance is (in dashes) before essence won't stay put while lowering LT?
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:49 pm

PinnacleInSync wrote:Great post! Awesome you dissected all the individual waves!

If I may be so bold to point out that weilding should be wielding in both format A en B.

And a question about staggering; I noticed that you can release LT and only absorb essence closest to you, whilst essence further away still stays put when releasing LT. It feels more like NGB. Do you roughly have an idea what the the minimum distance is (in dashes) before essence won't stay put while lowering LT?

LOL, of course you can :laugh2: I'll bet there's a lot of little mistakes throughout it, i shall go through it and make corrections etc :thumb:

About the essence. I'm pretty sure that NG2 essence is no different than NGB in the way it behaves.

- You can hold down the block trigger and keep 2 or more essence on the battlefield for use against enemies
- The absorption is distance dependent as well. I believe at least 3 dash distance away, it wont absorb, even when no enemies are present (but realistically, how often is that, especially in the Survival arena)
- Essence also absorbs in order too, try releasing the block button and watch different colored orbs be absorbed at different times, this is from enemies and their disintegration timing
- There have been times when i only wanted to absorb the blue (it was the closest) only to have the yellow one do it :banghead:

EDIT: I only have the weapon breakdown for the waves to go, i have done all the Genshin methods and weapons for him (took me ages). Fix any spelling mistakes and then i'm done. Very minor touch ups.
Puregrunt
Administrator

Re: NG2 Survival Guide (Complete)

Post by Puregrunt » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:34 am

OK, i'm done with it. It's everything i know about Survival, as accurate as i can be. The rest is up to the players. I was going to put in how i fight every enemy type, but i figure that i'm virtually playing it for you if i do that.

The information is there, it's up to YOU now, to conquer it. :thumb:
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NG2 Survival Guide (Complete)

Post by Dark Hazuki » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 am

Great guide, mate. Thanks for doing this. :D
PinnacleInSync
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Re: NG2 Survival Guide

Post by PinnacleInSync » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:36 am

The different colors absorb differently, that actually makes sense!
For some reason absorbing essence feels differently in survival than in story mode (for me). Maybe it's because of the size of the area.
Thanks for clearing that up!
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:23 am

Once you become a beast at Survival, you won't give a crap about essence. You'll be to busy slaughtering Fiends! :surprise: I never have a full health bar and i never rely on having a Red essence. ALL essence is much better when used for an Ultimate Technique :smile:

Dark Hazuki wrote:Great guide, mate. Thanks for doing this. :D

Thanks DH, no problem :thumb:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Now that you mention it, I'm seeing the essence absorb differently. Never noticed it before. I did notice the blue essence, because it almost always comes in after your health bar regenerates.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Can you add individual weapon tactics? For example, take each weapon, go over the base combos you use and when you use them. That would be very helpful.
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:52 pm

Absolutely, no problems. Will update asap :thumb:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 am

Any progress on the weapon tactics? I'm diggin' the KG so much, I may try to give it a run in Survival.
Puregrunt
Administrator

Post by Puregrunt » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks for the reminder, been a bit busy to write it all out. I will, i promise.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Sounds great, PG. :thumb:
RebornLS
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by RebornLS » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:18 pm

GOLD on DS and DK
SILVER on Scythe,Lunar,Claws,Tonfas