[/BBvideo]

It is programmed to hit you if you jump. Image
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: Marionettes' homing attack

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:16 pm

Yep, exactly.

You can't jump while they're around without risking getting hit by that. And it does a ton of damage.

I always thought that was mean about ToV 4- a lot of aerial attacks and Flying Swallow are useful against the Hoverbots, but with the Mari's around you really can't without getting hit by that slide attack.

Edit: It's sort of an interesting restriction to place on you, but I feel like it should have less range. They can hit you with that attack from like, more than halfway across the ToV arena. :sob:
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 pm

When it goes into slow motion, you can actually see the attack home in on you. That's cheap! :naughty:
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:56 am

Is that only in the story mode, or can the marionettes do that in MM? I'll consider that when i resume trying to finish all missions on MN if it is.
Tommy Hayabusa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Tommy Hayabusa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:03 am

Homing attack? That's a strange name for it. I always called it the bullshit attack.
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 am

^ Yup ^ Had an NC of ToV 7 up ages ago which was a great source of amusement for JAH, was me getting fireball juggled and 2 offscreen Mari's spitroasted me in mid air :surprise: full health to dead in under 5 seconds. Bastard enemies!
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:52 am

I never understood the Marionettes. They can be so dumb and barely attack, or they can go berserk. And, for ToV4, my thumbs hurt from all the dashing and no jumping. Very annoying.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 am

Their behavior is the same in mission mode. Thanks to the techniques I learnedly from Reim they are not too bad and an easy source of essence. They are still a pain in MM.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 pm

reim0027 wrote:I never understood the Marionettes. They can be so dumb and barely attack, or they can go berserk.

I think its mostly range. They tend to be docile unless you either jump or get close to them. Jump, they do the slide attack. Get close, they do lots of nasty things. Pretty nasty moveset they have, actually.
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Marsbar wrote:Their behavior is the same in mission mode. Thanks to the techniques I learnedly from Reim they are not too bad and an easy source of essence. They are still a pain in MM.
Yeah, the windmill shuriken trick is good.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Unless they are delimbed. Then, for some reason, it doesn't damage them. Go figure.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:20 pm

I know...right? Sometimes when they are delimed they refuse to be OT'd, also. :banghead:
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Marsbar wrote:I know...right? Sometimes when they are delimed they refuse to be OT'd, also. :banghead:
I think the OT window is just really close to them. I know exactly what you mean, but coming off a move that leaves you right next to the enemy it seems to always work for me. (Main example being Claws' ->Y. )

They WS immunity while delimbed is good. WS spamming them makes them way too easy. :silly:
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

But it gives up all that easy tasty UT Essence using WS UTs. :money:

Sometimes I use Scythe UTs to kill them and when they get delimbed they quite often absolutely refuse to be OT'd. :flame:
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:42 pm

I think some of the enemies were left a little unfinished. At that time, everybody remembers itagaki's situation with TN.. It makes me think some of the higher up AI decisions were left unfinished.

After my experiments with chapter 11, I'm left thinking that for the MN level AI, I just don't think those guys had alot of time to play test it and see what works and what doesn't. I get the feeling they did alot of great estimating and adjusted the AI and damage pretty quickly, or something like that. It's the only way I can understand why the AI behavior is so odd sometimes.

Anyway, yea. You have to be super close to OT them, which sucks, because as MG said, their movelist and damage is nasty. I wish the windmill shuriken UT would actually hit them more often.
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:57 pm

i can confirm 100% that some enemies (these marionettes and the zombie cannon fiends) if delimbed, (sometimes) cannot be OT'ed or even targeted by ryu. ryu loses all ability to target them and it is like they don't exist as an active target anymore. u can still hit them if u attack in their general direction, but OT or projectiles get ignored, unless u aim manually... it is definitely a bug and not a proximity issue...
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:21 pm

This is a bug indeed, but it happens at very specific locations only iirc. There's a single mage at the first fight in Venice that cannot be targetted or Guilottine throwed. And there is a batch of zombie cannon fiends just before the TOV savestation in Chapter 10 that cannot be targetted either. Some seem to be Xbox One exclusive bugs as I don't recall the cannon fiends in that location having that issue on the 360.