Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-4) in progress challenge run

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-4) in progress challenge run

Post by d_Nought » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:26 pm

Dunno if I'm gonna find the time to finish this anywhere in the near future, but chapter 2 was pretty hard so I thought I'd post.

Most of my motivation for doing this run was being inconsistent in farming Survival, so I thought I'd try raising my level with some handicap run action.
Run's probably gonna fail on Gigadeath unless someone finds a way to dodge his fish though. But whatever, if that happens I just want to keep going on play these conditions with other weapons.

Rod of Trials is definitely the worst one (if you don't farm for L3 vs Rastetsu 2). Falcons Talons room and Rasetsu with L3 talons weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. The Bridge fight with mages seemed bad at first but then I managed to do a few more after my first one and I picked the one with the most essence, not that it mattered in the end because I farmed a bit...

If anyone asks, the reason I don't use the Lunar is because I don't feel like it :ahhh:

I've also been doing head-on ToV1 as another form of hardcore practice but I don't have anything video worthy for that yet.
Last edited by d_Nought on Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1 and 2) in progress challenge run

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:20 am

nice to see chapter 2 in full, well done mate!
good luck on the rest of the run, i hope the fact that it is impossible to fully complete does not frustrate u TOO much haha :ninjawink:
and why the hell wasnt i subbed to ur youtube already?? lol
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1 and 2) in progress challenge run

Post by d_Nought » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Chapter 3 done. Gonna talk over this next one so busy editing but for now I just wanted to get this part hot off the hard drive. Triple upside down cycle + two perfect fish dodges = :) (no thanks to Ryu whiffing every Wings of the Vermillion Bird attempt).

JTB123
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by JTB123 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 pm

That Giga fight was awesome, never thought of using the Talons against him before. I also see you're a ninja of class, using the best costume :thumb:
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 pm

again, congrats for achieving this... i always thought it was impossible... respect man! :thumb:
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-3) in progress challenge run

Post by d_Nought » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Chapter 3 was done a while ago. I tried a commentary run over it but I hated it so I nuked it. Might try again some other time. Anyway, here's the raw gameplay.

Right now I'm a decent way into Chapter 4, so all of the really hard stuff is over, at least until Chapter 10. I don't plan on doing all or even most of the Tests of Valor. That said, I didn't plan on doing Gigadeath properly either so who knows what will happen.

I was planning on putting a bunch of notes here as well but typing everything that's in my head takes forever. For now I will just say that this run has been somewhat enlightening when it comes to paying attention to the enemy's position and offensive status when it comes to deciding what moves to use. For example, when you are jumping somewhere with the DS, are you going to do OL X, OL >X, OL >Y or move somewhere else?

A few notes on chapter 3:

The mage/IS fight on the street that I did on purpose took a while. 90% of the time you just get blockstunned to death. But it's cool when it works. The main reason I use on landing running Y on the Talons as my spam move there and in other ninja encounters is because if it delimbs, it instantly goes into OT, and if it doesn't, you still get an invincible animation. >Y has an annoyingly inconsistent delimb rate on ninjas and sometimes Ryu can also miss the OT if he is bodyblocked or just feeling especially stupid. Still, it is fast and deadly if it works properly. With either Run Y or (OL) >Y another thing I do is jump around a lot and throw shurikens in order to control enemies, farm combo count, avoid getting stuck and avoid floor IS splash damage.

This chapter gives you a lot of essence on a no UT run since you can get bigger combos on the Van Gelfs without getting broken. On the first no UT/nin run I did that got to the end of chapter 3, I had just enough essence for the level 3 talons and level 2 DS. Here, I have enough for all level 3 (although I did farm 15K on the mages in Ch2). But I still left the lunar at level 1 LOL (because I want to immediately L3 the Dual Swords and Kusa when I pick them up).

Archers have significantly reduced accuracy off screen, but they still like to exploit certain moves, particularly flying swallow, missed OTs, helm splitter derivatives etc.

I upgraded the DS to L3 as a knee jerk reaction to getting Gold Van Gelf fireballed out of a Talons >Y. XXY>Y is really good on Gelfs and it seems to make fireballs miss you a lot. Maybe not all of the time, but you can play a bit more ballsy with that move than you'd expect.

Gigadeath what a fantastic boss. I hate all these gimmick projectile bosses, even though I liked 2 tanks/helicopter. Anyway, the biggest roadblock here is dodging his fish, which is basically pure RNG. They come at you in a staggered patterns, and if they sync up right, there is basically no combination of iframes that can dodge all of them short of UTs/ninpo. You can kill them with basically anything, including regular shurikens, but good luck getting Ryu to hit it properly. I tried a bunch of combos of double in air bow shot, shurikens, etc, but the only things that were promising were flying swallow and tap Y. you have a significantly higher chance of dodging or FS'ing his fish if gigadeath is further away - some of the fish hit the floor prematurely and explode, an the group also lines up in a row as they travel. If you are close, you get staggered fish on all sides = back to the start.

FS through his face with L3 Talons does a lot of damage and can be done at any time, but is risky and I don't know if it's 100% consistent at a particular timing. Also the Talons FS does the most damage out of all weapons, as if they didn't already need more advantages in their non-UT moveset. You can also hit the back of his tail at any time, though if you FS from behind too close you will still go forward into the zapper zone. When he flails around and spams plasma, you can also do Vermillion Bird on his tail, but I don't show it here.

The reason I start with running Y here is because I can follow it up with full WotVB into OL Run Y (though Ryu whiffs the VB triple FS here). Sometimes the running Y can double connect on his face and do more damage. It seems to be related to getting a head-on hit as well.

Obviously the key is getting him to go upside down and into non-zap mode, preferably for more than 1 cycle. He seems to have about a 10-20% chance of staying upside down for more than one cycle. However, he will only go upside down if you are behind him a bit after he turns around. This is another reason why I FS through his face - to get behind him and thus reduce the chance of him doing his wiggle grab, plasma spam or face attack. Another super annoying thing is that he seems to know that people might have tried doing melee attacks on him when he turns around, so he is quite likely to spawn fish when turning around, especially when he is upside down late game. In the video I just take the trade in order to get the damage.
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-3) in progress challenge run

Post by d_Nought » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:47 am

Ch4 done

First checkpoint is the last real hard forced fight until the chapter 8 Cathedral. As noted before, archer accuracy is significantly reduced offscreen, so long as you keep moving roughly left to right. They let you do running Y and >Y which is good enough for me. Also nice that the game considers you outside of the encounter once all of the IS ninjas are dead.

I wanted to be a cool guy and do the second checkpoint in one go with the DS (i.e. go through the big IS/mage fight, archers and dogs without saving). I ended up having to redo that IS/mage fight quite a lot, and the successful one is probably the most basic out of all my clears, just FS and XXYB, no use of counter X, the FS running X trick or any other fancy shit.

Most of the rest of this chapter is fairly straightforward. The Van Gelfs on Liberty Island were very mean and not letting me get big combos for essence and I ended up resetting a bunch. There is a small cameo from the level 1 lunar for no reason other than Farnham asked for it.

I still don't fully understand Alexei and how to improvise against him. But whatever, I don't really consider it important since he's not an enemy in Survival so I don't care too much. I still haven't finished MM on Master Ninja either lol.

These videos have been almost all DS and Talons, and I definitely feel a lot more comfortable with them now. From here until Ch8 I am going to put those away and as much as possible try to only use the Dual Swords and Kusarigama. Then the Tonfa when I get them.