Essay on Ninja Gaiden II

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Essay on Ninja Gaiden II

Post by Royta » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 pm

This year saw Ninja Gaiden II turn 10 years old already, and to celebrate it is getting its own essay on Stinger Magazine!
The article mostly covers its development, the designphilosphy behind it, the change from NG1's more defensive structure to NG2's offensive one and the eventual downfall of Team Ninja, why Itagaki left, and where they are all now.

:thumb: http://www.stingermagazine.com/2018/11 ... ction.html :thumb:

Happy reading!
Last edited by Royta on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reim0027
Administrator

Re: Essay on Ninja Gaiden II

Post by reim0027 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm

Link didn't work for me.
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Should work now, it didn't url the whole thing (it forgot the final L). Thanks for pointing it out!
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by julius-ruler4 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:36 pm

I took the time to read the article and, wow, you could keep writing about it. Even though the game has its flaws, I think in overall it is very good.

When looking at NG04 and NGB, NG2 isn't really complete. What can be improved must be improved and what needs polishing must be refined. To perfect a game, people have to make mistakes so that they can learn from it and avoid it whilst remaking that specific game.

In retrospect, Itagaki was a guy way ahead of this day and age. He would be able to create fully polished games like a NG Omega, which should be NGS but way more polished like NG04 with the hurricane packs.

What can I conclude? Itagaki is unique in every aspect. Ahead, perfective and careful. Unlike Hayashi, Itagaki knows what people desire from him and he delivers. If he was still part of Tecmo, NGS2, NG3 and NG3:RE would be perfect games like NG04 and NGB.

I cannot add anything anymore that would empathize Itagaki's legacy like NGB and NG2 further, but one thing. He brought very good NG players together and while he achieved that, he had his final victory over all other companies with such good masterpieces for many years to come.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 am

"Fighting in Ninja Gaiden II is to die slower than your enemies."

Well said sir! And I have plenty more to say, but another time. Too busy!

Cheers to a good read!

:sunnyd:
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the love ^^ I agree Itagaki was way ahead of the curve, also with his other games (Dead or Alive 2 was amazing).