Mentor run

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Mentor run

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:35 pm

The rules will be less strict, since I wasn't able to fullfill them on Warrior, though the principle is the same, fair fights against enemies when possible. Somthing I didn't mention in the last thread, my runs are all ng not ng+.

OLB, no items is the primary condition
Minimal UT's
Minimal Ninpo
Izuna, GT and IS allowed

Chapter 1: a few deaths just to experiment what it can be done and what not. GT is a must, and Izuna will be required from time to time. Rasetsu fight done at second or third try, no UT no Ninpo, no items. Easy after the experience on chapter 11 LOL
reim0027
Administrator

Re: Mentor run

Post by reim0027 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 am

I hate the word minimal. Always a slippery slope. Maybe define where you will use UTs and Ninpo now?
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:05 am

Well, I still don't know where I'll use them but basically I want to avoid the usage. I'll probably use them against pillbugs and dogs, and for sure in the section with mecha gelfs in chapter 8. I'll use ninpo for sure against dogs and Dagra Dai, unless I get lucky. I'm not really strict, I just want to see what I can do. Right now I'm in chapter 2, I didn't use items, ut's or ninpo and I'm at Rasetsu fight. I already tried a lot of times, but I think I can do it.

Anytime I'll use Ut's or Ninpo I'll specify, and if I'll use items or upgrade my health I'll declare the run failed like the one I did on Warrior. But I'll still continue whatever happens trying to stick with the rules to see what I can do. I'm sure the Rasetsu fight in chapter 11 will kill the run if nothing does it before.

The real goal of these runs is not to do something special, just to learn those aspects of the game that I didn't learn when I started. Maybe I should have used another title, like "relearning the game" or something like that.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:38 pm

Chapter 2: I did the Rasetsu fight OLB no items/UT/ninpo. I have ninja cinema and also a shitty cellphone vid you can watch here: http://sendvid.com/lzp72pax

Not a very polished fight, but I'm still happy about it. I managed a lot of situations well, but the mistake I still do is dash jumping in panic from time to time, which is one of my most frequent causes of death in this fight. It's all about knowing when it's safe to attack or stay defensive, having Rasetsu and IS ninjas patterns down, and knowing different ways to i-frames through explosions. It's also possible to kill ninjas with izuna to get blue essence, but it's important to know if it's safe to grab it or to wait for a safer opportunity: that's another instance in which I've got killed a lot!
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:06 am

It must have been scary, having your health so low for most of the fight (and the blue orbs really didn't replenish it much).
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:22 am

It's something I've got used to in this fight. There is a treshold of HP's under which I start to kill enemies for blue essence. The treshold is pretty low because, if I don't play too dumb, the things that can randomly hit me are blocked explosions or regular IS ninjas attacks, which don't do much damage. The only things that can really kill me when I'm near the treshold are Rasetsu grabs, Rasetsu jumps and suicide attacks. So, while I'm over the treshold, I try to stay cool and avoid or prevent (better) these attacks while I'm killing IS ninjas, and if the random explosions bring me under the treshold, I start going for drops.

It's very important that I stay really calm, or I start jumping in panic which always kill me. You can see it in my video, sometimes I played well and sometimes I just panic'd. Even collecting blue essence kills me a lot of time, I'm trying to make myself used to wait the best moment to grab it. I think the fight in chapter 11 will be a nightmare XD
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:08 am

I used to like it when I go to low health. It made it real.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:05 am

Yeah, it's good time!

Though, make a laugh with me now: got to ToV1 only to discover: I forgot the rod of trial!

So, I restarted. Though, and I didn't expected, It's not that I'm really enjoying this run that much. Chapter 3 was hella easy and I wasn't enjoying it so much, while I'm not in the mood to do the first chapters again... anyways, if I'll coutinue, I'll update this thread.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:09 am

I did a Mentor OLB / no ninpo / no UT run with the Scythe. EXCEPT I used everything on ToVs, nothing held back.

Mostly no items but I used them here and there and used quite a bit on that evil Rats brawl in Chapter 11. Overall it was really fun, not THAT hard and opened my eyes to how fun of a combo weapon the Scythe can be. For most folks the obvious go-to stuff with the Scythe is the UT and the YYY for boss killing but I found it to actually be an extremely versatile weapon.

Have fun on your run! :D
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:27 am

Oh man, I hate the ToVs. They seem to never end. Especially ToV4. ToV1 is probably the best one of the mix, IMO.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:21 am

@Murphy's Ghost: as I said, I don't think I really want to continue. The problem is that I'm just trying to find a fix while waiting for Nioh, so it's easy I can get bored of any game atm. Using items on the Rasetsu fight on Ch11 is a must I belive. The scythe has some cool laucher moves, I think that player XLHGladiator has some videos in which shows combos, including some scythe combos with incendiary shuriken. I think the weapon I like most overall is the Tonfa, though.

@Reim: I think ToV4 on Mentor is different from MN. Of course on MN it's the worst thing in videogames. I think I did it one time then I skipped all the ToV's in my next MN runs.