Self-imposed/Restricted Runs

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Self-imposed/Restricted Runs

Post by H.Smoke » Fri May 13, 2016 7:40 am

I realized that whenever I play this game I end up doing self-imposed runs most of the time because playing normally doesn't cut it for me anymore. I wanted to share what I've been doing lately and also look forward to read some runs from people here to try in the future.
Spoiler:
[Acolyte] Projectile Only Run (it ends before the Eli/Genshin fight on Chapter 14, I doubt you can advance beyond that point)
[Warrior] OLB/ONB DragonSword/Lunar/FalconTalons Only Run
[Warrior] OLB/ONB BotA Only Run
[Mentor] OLB/ONB
[Master Ninja] 100% Run (All Fiend Challenges & No Battles Skipped)
Honestly, I don't think the last one qualifies as a SIR but it was so tiresome that I know for sure that I'll never do a 100% run on MN again so might as well add it for extra ninja credit (?) :kungfu:
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Aussieland)

Re: Self-imposed/Restricted Runs

Post by Massaca » Fri May 13, 2016 9:52 am

Karma runs, ironically, fit this >_> Such awful runs they are.
So one of those and I started an MN, Dual Katanas (not BotA) only, no items & OLB, no Ninpo run where I tried not to use UT's. Never got past Ch.10 Elizabet though, and that was over the course of 2 years :laugh2: Also Used tons of UT's in Ch.01 to get them upgraded as early as possible (which ended up being the first shop in Ch.02 IIRC). Did all this on vid but I think it's probably pretty boring. Also just noticed I never put up Ch.10, may as well now >_>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... A3CDA471A2

Also Murphy's Ghost started a minimal Karma run which I also tried starting but I don't think I played past Ch.02. Can't remember how far he got.

Did an MN OLB Scythe run and... that's all I can even remember. I played random chapters more than doing full runs or just normal ones :shrug:
A few single weapon runs on Mentor I think, def did the Lunar and I maybe Tonfa, Claws or VF but I just can't remember.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Fri May 13, 2016 11:41 am

Damn Massaca congrats on these MN runs. I can't play MN consistently anymore, some segments make me unreasonable angry, I usually play chapters I like randomly if I feel like it but nothing else.

I loved KR in NGB and NGS, but I will never make one in NG2, like, no way :ninja:
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Fri May 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Thanks mate.
Wise choice to not KR NG2. I'll save the rant but they're just plain stupid.

I can't play MN anymore either, started the last big run back in 2012 and only played off and on for a week each month or something like that. Played very little over the past few years, just some random survival or Ch.01 trying to get through without saving but I don't have the skill and I can't pick it back up anymore :shrug:

Which reminds me, that's another thing I'd do which was fairly fun. Ch.01 was just great all round though, played it quite a lot.
Shigurui
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Shigurui » Fri May 13, 2016 7:28 pm

I'd do another MN KR if I could get my MN saves onto my 360, they're on one of those proprietary MS USB cards that had a game pre-installed on them and they stopped production of consoles with that port a long time ago.

At the time only myself and JAH were doing serious NG2 KR's, I left a lot of score behind due to constant crashes on Ch6 and 9 iirc, Massaca, Pinnacle etc did theirs a bit later and I'd like to redo one with stuff I learned from their runs, one day, maybe.... :laugh2:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:53 am

I did an OLB, no items, minimal Ninpo run on MN. I also did 5 OLB no ninpo runs, and to Ch 11 with no ninpo. I did this to collect enough SoDs to have 10 Ninpo slots at the beginning of Ch 11, but I can chose to not have ninpo and OLB there as well. Those are my self-imposed runs. I also did the same on Mentor, Normal, and Acolyte, just for completeness.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sat May 14, 2016 5:27 am

Shigurui wrote:[...] I left a lot of score behind due to constant crashes on Ch6 and 9
Uh, don't remind me. There is nothing worse than the game crashing in the last Archfiend fight. Fuck doing Dagra Dai and sniping the Archfiend again :flame:
reim0027 wrote:I did an OLB, no items, minimal Ninpo run on MN. I also did 5 OLB no ninpo runs, and to Ch 11 with no ninpo. I did this to collect enough SoDs to have 10 Ninpo slots at the beginning of Ch 11, but I can chose to not have ninpo and OLB there as well. Those are my self-imposed runs. I also did the same on Mentor, Normal, and Acolyte, just for completeness.
I thought I was doing some heavy stuff but after reading things like this I feel humbled :blush:

Personally I love Chapter 11 but sometimes (in Mentor/MN) it gets some damn annoying and I have to let go some Wind Blades to put everything in place.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sun May 15, 2016 6:32 am

Mentor OLB / limited ninpo / no item / limited UT weapon runs were always a blast for me.

Master Ninja weapon runs are awesome but in some cases really not that fun. I had an MN OLB / no ninpo / no item (except for ToVs, where everything goes) Claw run up until ToV 4 but couldn't do that one so lost the run.

If nothing else, an OLB run of any kind allows you to start the game over at Chapter 1 with the TDS and the original lifebar, which I find to be quite awesome. The OLB with the TDS is what I used to make the only YT vid I'll ever have, haha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX3C35xEQyM

Shameless self-promotion aside, let us know how it goes and if you run into any situations where you could use some outsider opinions.

:beers:
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 am

Bringing back this thread from the dead just in case someone is interested: I started doing casual streams this year and I've been playing NG2, mostly Survival trying to get used to some stuff again, and I recently "finished" an OLB/ONB/BotA&Scythe only run on Mentor. I wanted to do a Scythe run first and then BotA but then I realized I didn't want to play the game twice and decided to use both in the first run.

And I said "finished" because I still have to do chapters 12&13 which are a complete a drag. Since they are mostly rehashes of previous chapters I think no one's missing anything of value there. I wish I could skip to chapter 14 :(

Before this run I did a full Mentor run and damn, the campaign in this game can get pretty boring at some points. After coming from NGB certain differences started to hit me pretty bad, although I still think NG2 has the best gameplay in the genre.

Link
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Ugh. After Ch 11, it starts to go downhill, IMO. Did you do the ToVs?
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:14 am

reim0027 wrote:Ugh. After Ch 11, it starts to go downhill, IMO. Did you do the ToVs?
Nope.

Before this run I did a full Mentor run (all fights, ToVs and stuff) and really tired me out of the game, so I wanted to get this BotA/Scythe run done asap because as I said, after replaying this game after NGB I realized how lame the campaign gets (especially after chapter 11 as you said). I like messing around with survival, even if you are super limited with what you can and can't do.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:01 am

I hated the ToVs. I did them on MN, just for completion, and never did them again.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:52 am

reim0027 wrote:I hated the ToVs. I did them on MN, just for completion, and never did them again.
I did them a lot of times in Acolyte/Warrior/Mentor, and only once in MN (in a 100% run). They get boring pretty fast honestly, although I think some of them are better than NGB's (the 120 Berserkers one comes to mind :hmm: )
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:34 pm

It would be a bit better if they had a kill counter and less projectile spam (ToV4 especially).
Royta
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Post by Royta » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:58 am

reim0027 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:34 pm
It would be a bit better if they had a kill counter and less projectile spam (ToV4 especially).
Ultra late reply, but yeah I miss the kill counter a lot from NGB, was a good way to confirm kills and also know how far along the way your were.
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Woulda been better but it wasn't too bad. Just had to know the karma for kills and do some counting. The biggest problem was the score counter deciding you've been out of action for too long during a fight or ToV and just resetting itself >_>

Edit: "wasn't too bad"
Couple days late to notice >_>
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Yeah, I hated that too. It made the MN ToVs seem like they were never going to end.