Delimb recovery time

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Delimb recovery time

Post by Trax » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:13 pm

So I'm replaying MN from scratch, and something that I had never seen before just happened to me

http://puu.sh/n7VKA/cbce361f9c.webm

Usually when enemies get delimbed they always get staggered momentarily as the bleed around a bit so usually you can move in and do an OT on them before they can recover. But here it doesn't seem like the mage got stunned at all. Arm gets crushed but he immediately counters with a grab. Now I'm used to the mages being able to do grabs coming off Flying Swallow and lands instantaneously, but I've never seen them counter after being delimbed. Or maybe it is just the weapon/move? I'm thinking maybe the impact wasn't strong enough so the mage didn't even flinch like when you do that same move with the DS

Between this and the kamikaze grabs that sometimes are telegraphed and sometimes aren't (or how sometimes they like to bait you into using a counterattack only for you to fly straight into their grab), it's sometimes really hard to tell what the smart move is. I think the only move that has never been counterproductive to me has been the Guillotine Throw :laugh:
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Re: Delimb recovery time

Post by H.Smoke » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:51 am

At the very first second you can see that when his limb is about to explode he is already positioning himself to do a counter so most likely the counter and delimb animation got kind of "superimposed".

This means that either the delimb recovery for the enemies gets off when they are about to counterattack/starting animation of an attack, or like Ryu they get some iframes at the very beginning of some specific animations.
Spoiler:
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Trax » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:15 am

That's even weirder then, because if you notice before Ryu hits him he was casting a spell. Usually when you interrupt the mages from doing that with an attack they get stunned, but apparently this one immediately recovered by going into the floating stance. So basically, he starts out by preparing to cast any of his abilities, gets interrupted by the attack but DURING the delimb he cancels the stun into a grab

Almost as crazy as in NGB where the doppelganger Ryus could dodge your counterattacks into their own counterattacks :-?
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:14 pm

Delimbed mages are cheating bastards. I do my best to straight up kill them... nothing worse than trying to manage a chaotic battle when you've got a delimbed mage lurking around the field... :scared:
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Aussieland)

Post by Massaca » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Trax wrote:Almost as crazy as in NGB where the doppelganger Ryus could dodge your counterattacks into their own counterattacks :-?
Can you counter attack his counter attack then or are you screwed?
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:50 am

Trax wrote:That's even weirder then, because if you notice before Ryu hits him he was casting a spell. Usually when you interrupt the mages from doing that with an attack they get stunned, but apparently this one immediately recovered by going into the floating stance. So basically, he starts out by preparing to cast any of his abilities, gets interrupted by the attack but DURING the delimb he cancels the stun into a grab

Almost as crazy as in NGB where the doppelganger Ryus could dodge your counterattacks into their own counterattacks :-?
Even if I think NG in general is a very well thought action game nothing is perfect and sometimes it can pull off weird things given certain circumstances.

In NG2 Genshin can also counterattack your counter with his, and in NG1 the Doppels have a few particular characteristics that you don't IIRC (even if they were similar to you in playstyle). I think people didn't try to analize the intricacies of some enemies in-depth (which is understandable) so there is a lot of unknown territory.

Maybe if some of the games were on PC there'd be more data about that kind of stuff, dunno :deepthought:
Trax
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Trax » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:01 am

Massaca wrote:
Trax wrote:Almost as crazy as in NGB where the doppelganger Ryus could dodge your counterattacks into their own counterattacks :-?
Can you counter attack his counter attack then or are you screwed?
haha no idea, I suspect it's not possible just because when the doppelganger dodges your counter Ryu is still stuck in the counter animation, which as far as I know can't be cancelled
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 am

Looks like the delimb stun effect wasn't applied to the mage so it went straight to kamikaze mode.