Weapon Run - Mentor OLB 3 Ninpo updates

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Weapon Run - Mentor OLB 3 Ninpo updates

Post by nooblar » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:54 am

Hi all

was thinking of doing weapon runs in mentor mode. Started with DCTF. New game plus, level 1 everything except for DCTF, aiming for OLB and 3 ninpo slots throughout game, if its possible.

Breezed through first two chapters. No major issues until the IS ninjas in chapter 2 giving something of a fight. But when I reach chapter 3 first gauntlet, its was really tough. Stuck still.

Some help

1. Some good normal combos to deal with IS ninjas. I'm trying to limit UTs/ETs. Found that DS works much better against IS, even in MNM.

2. Due to the single FS and no OL status, I do find the difficulty in dealing with Van Gelfs. Delimb combos to OT status recommendations?

3. I can imagine the weak water combos coming chapter 9 hover bot fights on the water. Only xxy which is unstable, either giving you the spin up or a fllying swallow. Can;t imagine fighting the water dragon. Recommendations please.

4. TOV 1 - how to delimb the ninjas? no ->y from the talons.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by nooblar on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: weapon run DCTF mentor help

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 pm

I forget when you get access to the dual sword 360 Y - is it level 3?

That is definitely the bread and butter of the dual sword moveset in this game - it sets up and/or links just about everything else together. I think ->YY is pretty good and I want to say maybe XXY or XX->Y, something like that? It's been a LONG time since I played this game, unfortunately...

Mentor weapon runs are really fun though! It's not TOO impossibly hard but you'll still learn a lot along the way. Keep us posted on your progress, have fun! :smile:
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Aussieland)

Post by Massaca » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:15 am

1- I barely remember but any air combos can end in YY which has a spin on the ground that is pretty good, if you have enough hight on you FS you can toss shuirken then YY which is a bit safer. And yeah, 360Y is great for delimbs, crowds and has a minute of i-frames.
Try >x for delimbs, I can't remember how well it worked but I thought it was decent for it. I think >hold Y is too. Maybe even XX too, has a downward second hit that I think works for it. But anyway, if all else fails 360Y :shrug:

2- as above I guess. Could try the XX>XXX too. Also FS has a surprisingly high chance of beheading Gold Van Gelfs if you hit them whilst they're flying.

3- You can go in to air combos (not sure how safe it is with rockets) but so long as you don't finish it with the downward slash or an FS you can land on the water and continue running or attacking. Otherwise it'll just be Arrow UT's, same for with the Water Dragon. The DCTF is pretty great for melee combat on water against the Gaja in Ch.05, definitely give that a try.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:07 pm

The attacks mentioned are the best for DCTF. Though, I'll add that running Y attack has very high delimb rate, pretty much 100%, and you can go straight into OT after it by immediately pressing Y again. Of course in this game is not easy to land a running attack. You can try to land it at the beginning of a fight for a guaranteed delimb into OT. You can also try to land it after a windpath: you bounce on the head af the foe, then run back at him, press Y and then delimb. It's been a while, I don't remember correctly, but maybe you can toss a shuriken to stun the enemy and then go into running Y, or jump, shuriken in the air, and then running Y as you land. Running Y it's not the best attack for DCTF, but being able to use it when you got the opportunity is good, because I belive it's the fastest delimbing technique with this weapon.

And of course you can use the classic GT strategy against human enemies, but you may have noticed that you can't going into OT immediately after the GT, otherwise you'll get a miss, you have to delay the OT which mens you don't have that continuos i-frames flow.

My DCTF MN run ended up miserably against the dogs in chapter 2. I died something like 100 times and refused to skip them, so I quit. A fun weapon to use, though, because it's less GT dependent than Dragon Sword.
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the running Y. That attack is amazing for mages. I don't think I tried it on anything else though :-?
I eventually got to Liz on my run but then that was it. Hell of a wall I hit there. She was just absurdly hard.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:45 am

I never fought Liz with DCTF, but maybe it is possible to cheese her by baiting charge attacks from the distance, and punishing with 360 or FS. But just speculation here!
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:13 am

The damage is really low and she could punish it anyway. I tried strats that certainly do work but it just came down to me being too sucky. I was playing for a couple hours at most and like one day each month. I just wasn't able to do it.
I'll certainly be curious to see how Nooblar goes with it. OLB 3 Ninpo slots is absolutely possible.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:07 am

Can we say that Liz (NG2, Sigma2, NG3/RE) and Awakened Alma can race for the hardest hack'n'slash boss ever contest?
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:27 am

Dagra Dai would be worse but I personally think he borders on BS tier. Maybe I just always did it wrong but IIRC those lightning attacks were unavoidable for me without using Ninpo. If my run hadn't ended at Liz I knew it most certainly would have ended there.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:42 am

Massaca wrote:The damage is really low and she could punish it anyway. I tried strats that certainly do work but it just came down to me being too sucky. I was playing for a couple hours at most and like one day each month. I just wasn't able to do it.
I'll certainly be curious to see how Nooblar goes with it. OLB 3 Ninpo slots is absolutely possible.

Hi all, an update. Now at Chapter 3, "easy" so far, stopped before the TOV1.

Agree with Massacra that 360Y has little damage and its vertical in direction, easily missing. Abused for IFrames though.

DCTF delimb moves --- first three strikes XXX, XXX--->X for stubborn enemies, ---> Y(hold) is useless :cool2: , stuns enemy, delimbing not consistent. XYXXXB, OL Y 360 works well and has some immunity against vangelfs. XXYY works surprising well, but has a long cooldown, especially on the last Y. --> XY(hold)YY works wonderfully, but has some non-IFrames that can be punished by IS.

I see problems in upcoming fights with drunken bone, Liz and Dagra Dai. For Liz, for all my MNM runs, I "cheated" with FT level 3 FS. The rest of the bosses were fought with proper weapon setups. E.g. drunken with KG, Volf with DS, Alexei with DS, etc but for Liz is a big no.... I have to "cheat".

Will update more.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:44 am

Ninja Noob wrote:Can we say that Liz (NG2, Sigma2, NG3/RE) and Awakened Alma can race for the hardest hack'n'slash boss ever contest?
I recalled loving AA fight in NGB.

Liz.... :facepalm2:

BTW, there was a user here by the name of ylves who completed full MN NG with all weapons run here? I searched but only had the posts. No vids....
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:12 am

Ylva did, including the ToV's IIRC. But nah, no vids.

Ch.06 Skeleton midboss shouldn't be too much of an issue but he has some wacky hitboxes on his attacks. Once you get used to them you can take him out easy with jumping XXXYY, don't even bother killing the scorpions. I found it to be a pretty fun fight, did it a few times on MN with a vid or two.

360Y really is brokenly OP though.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:57 am

Currently in Chapter 5. Before TOV4.

A breeze so far, even on OLB and level one ninpo.

Thought bone warrior would pose an issue. Nope. XYXXXXYY owns big time. Thanks Massacre.

TOV 1-3 "easy" so far.

TOV 4 failed a couple of times.

Expert help is needed here for those pesky hoverbots. :facepalm2:
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:51 am

nooblar wrote:Currently in Chapter 5. Before TOV4.

Thought bone warrior would pose an issue. Nope. XYXXXXYY owns big time. Thanks Massacre.

TOV 1-3 "easy" so far.

Upgrade inferno ninpo to level 3... spam it at them. Use Spirit of the Devils... repeat spam!

Seriously the hoverbots are very problematic with almost every weapon - either it's hard to hit them or you can hit them but the combo will make you vulnerable to their death explosion, etc. With the dual swords I would think FS, shuriken to pause them and then maybe XYY or something would be the approach? Ylva might have insight on this... she did Master Ninja runs of every weapon if I remember right...
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Murphy's Ghost wrote:
nooblar wrote:Currently in Chapter 5. Before TOV4.

TOV 1-3 "easy" so far.

Upgrade inferno ninpo to level 3... spam it at them. Use Spirit of the Devils... repeat spam!

Seriously the hoverbots are very problematic with almost every weapon - either it's hard to hit them or you can hit them but the combo will make you vulnerable to their death explosion, etc. With the dual swords I would think FS, shuriken to pause them and then maybe XYY or something would be the approach? Ylva might have insight on this... she did Master Ninja runs of every weapon if I remember right...

Hi MG,

cleared. I upgraded inferno to level three and just pray and blast and use xy(hold)yy... it worked...

Currently in chapter 9 TOV7.

Ylva is a ........ woman? MN every weapon? Wow, plain wow.

Found out that DCTF works wonderfully well with WS and IS. xxx-->x is a beast....
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:49 am

Completed Mentor DCTF. Achieved the achievement for a grand 5G. I used ONE LOTG for TOV9 though, otherwise 3 ninpo slots and quite minimal LB. :facepalm2: Thanks TOV9.

Next up will be Tonfa Mentor OLB Ninpo minimum.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:29 am

DCTF are beasts. Very powerful. Did you enjoy the run?
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:53 am

nooblar wrote:Completed Mentor DCTF. Achieved the achievement for a grand 5G. I used ONE LOTG for TOV9 though, otherwise 3 ninpo slots and quite minimal LB. :facepalm2: Thanks TOV9.

That will be a fun one!

I did an OLB / all ToV Scythe run on Mentor and it was a blast - I learned a lot about the weapon on that run, before that it was all chaining UTs and YYY'ing bosses with it because I didn't know the moveset very well - NG2 Scythe is actually a very versatile combo weapon. (Which you might know! But I didn't... :laugh2: )

My Tonfa run was on MN and I think I left off halfway through Chapter 10 or something like that. Never finished it. Still, had a lot of fun! The heavenly justice cancel makes it a really interesting and aggression-friendly weapon!
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:04 am

Murphy's Ghost wrote:
nooblar wrote:Completed Mentor DCTF. Achieved the achievement for a grand 5G. I used ONE LOTG for TOV9 though, otherwise 3 ninpo slots and quite minimal LB. :facepalm2: Thanks TOV9.

That will be a fun one!

I did an OLB / all ToV Scythe run on Mentor and it was a blast - I learned a lot about the weapon on that run, before that it was all chaining UTs and YYY'ing bosses with it because I didn't know the moveset very well - NG2 Scythe is actually a very versatile combo weapon. (Which you might know! But I didn't... :laugh2: )

My Tonfa run was on MN and I think I left off halfway through Chapter 10 or something like that. Never finished it. Still, had a lot of fun! The heavenly justice cancel makes it a really interesting and aggression-friendly weapon!
Tonfa makes everything easy once the UT comes out.

I am using the x[hold]y, heavenlyjustice[HJ], 360y alot and trust me, it works on Alexei like butter when he does that berserk 25% lifebar move.

Some funny combos I have tried on a were wolf. xx[HJ]xx[HJ]xy instant OT. Also -->xx[HJ]Y works well. There are some I Frames in 360Y, not as abusive as DCTF 360Y though.

Take note the above combos work well on a max of two enemies, not more. Tonfa moveset, apart from the UT, has not much crowd control.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:06 am

reim0027 wrote:DCTF are beasts. Very powerful. Did you enjoy the run?
Enjoyed it immensely. The moveset is impressive. Discovered that xy can be cancelled anytime with a shuriken to proceed to YY immediately irregardless of height.

Best part is to defeat Elizabet with no UT or talons.
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Re: Weapon Run - Mentor OLB 3 Ninpo updates

Post by julius-ruler4 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:16 pm

in that case try to master the reset-guard trick brought by Fiend Busa. He is a total master at this trick and can explain you the details on how to do it.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:09 am

julius-ruler4 wrote:in that case try to master the reset-guard trick brought by Fiend Busa. He is a total master at this trick and can explain you the details on how to do it.
Again, completed OLB 3 ninpo Tonfa. It was not too bad...

Now Chapter 5 DS run... My favorite weapon.

Can I clarify? The guard reset is when you press LT again to block AFTER the first block has been BROKEN? Is there a timing or Just Frame to pushing LT? I'm thinking in terms of DMC3 JC or Royal Guard Gold block timing etc...
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:35 am

^I don't think so... you just let go of block and push it again.

I have a hard time doing it because my instincts in NG are SO trained to roll/dash out of a guard break but I don't think it requires very precise frame-based input other than just being quick to react when your guard is broken.
nooblar
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by nooblar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:03 am

TOV4.

I honestly don't know what to do with the DS....

No good combos to maul the missile robots without surviving. I keep on taking minute damage which adds up.

Throwing away the controller helps.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:47 pm

I don't envy you. That ToV sucks. Can you do a lot of FS?