Windmill Shuriken

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Windmill Shuriken

Post by H.Smoke » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 pm

Watched a video of someone killing marionettes pretty easily with it and I remember that I barely use the Windmill Shuriken

At first I thought that it was okay because you get it in chapter 11 but these last days I've been playing NG+ a lot and didn't use it that much so I wanted to know which are the best uses for this weapon
Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Re: Windmill Shuriken

Post by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:52 am

Marionettes for sure. It is also great for getting blue/green orbs on bug/bone scorpion rounds in survival. It has a fast UT so it is also great to generate points in survival mode for the weapons that have long UT's (VF, etc) so you don't lose your multiplier because of the time they take. Lots of bonus points from insta kills too.
As far as campaign? Other then a ranged weapon acolyte run, it is just a fun weapon to use for UT's occasionally.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:38 am

Its UT is killer. I use it for the zombies as well. Anything that can be delimbed. In fact, you can do a large amount of the game using only the Windmill Shuriken.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:05 pm

reim0027 wrote:In fact, you can do a large amount of the game using only the Windmill Shuriken.
Interesting, can you expand a little more about that?
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:34 am

WS UT spammage. It is awesome against almost any enemy that can be delimbed.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:38 am

reim0027 wrote:WS UT spammage. It is awesome against almost any enemy that can be delimbed.
Yeah I guess normal enemies can be manageable but how do you fight bosses in a projectile only run? :ninja:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Do it on Acolyte and use Ninpo (lots of Ninpo).
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:20 pm

For me, the Windmill's UT was useful when i wanted to take out enemies from a distance on mentor or MN. In ch 14, there were rooms with enemies that i started off using the bow UT's, then windmill when they got closer to get essence for weapon UTs. Besides that, i got the idea for marionettes from reim's videos back when i did MN around summer 2009.
Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Post by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:20 am

Projectile UT's were one of the biggest losses IMO in sigma 2 and RE. I know the bow in RE kinda had one, but it just was not the same cause it didn't gib dudes. It was so fun popping multiple enemies at once with a well placed bow UT.

I guess the WS doesn't have a ton of utility, especially because you get it so late it the game, but it's fun and cool so that's enough for me.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:15 am

Okay so thanks to this thread I started a projectile only run and is getting more fun than I thought. It's really interesting because it helps you to approach some fights differently and also learn some interesting weakness in some bosses.

Obviously I'm playing on Acolyte. I didn't have any issue except when fighting the annoying Drunken Skeleton because I ran out of ninpo and had to take it out with arrows (thankfully it only had a little chunk of health remaining).

Also the fights with Genshin are insanely annoying because you can only damage him with IS and you have to time it damn right because if not 90% it will bounce. Until now the times that I found that you can damage him is after the blender attack and that super long combo he has with the claws and the sword... and is soul crushing when you're able to stick a IS and he does the flying swallow and protects himself :banghead:

Anyway that said I read that you can only go as far as chapter 13 because you have to break those bag-things with enemies and rasetsus inside with a weapon and is likely that you'll also hit an enemy accidentally and since there are a lot of those things it'd be really annoying...
Also I don't really know how you'd fight fiend Genshin... I don't think he is susceptible to IS anymore :hmm:

Well anyway... Finally regarding the WS I'm finding more use to it but I've to say that in a normal run I think 90% of the time I'd go with a weapon instead of the WS to approach most of the fights.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:43 am

The projectile only (and ninpo) run was originally done to help people get their weapons achievement without an obscene amount of replays. They would get to Ch 13 and then play the rest of the game with the weapons to get their achievement.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:17 am

H.Smoke wrote:I started a projectile only run
Bro, I'm glad you are enjoying this, but why don't you simply spend your time with the weapons rather than with projectiles? Did you clear Master Ninja story mode, in the end? I remember that you were playing without GT and other important techniques, I woul'd suggest you to clear MN story than replay it and learn the techniques and the weapons, it will be much more fun. Watch Reim guide and learn tricks. Or simply try mission mode (except the most annoying missions). If you are sick of tov's it's ok to skip them, but I woul'd say to stick with the proper gameplay.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:44 am

reim0027 wrote:The projectile only (and ninpo) run was originally done to help people get their weapons achievement without an obscene amount of replays. They would get to Ch 13 and then play the rest of the game with the weapons to get their achievement.
Yeah I was reading about that yesterday. Aside from what you said, is pretty fun by itself. I was wondering the chances of a projectile run until chapter 13 in other difficulty modes, sadly I don't think it'd be possible in other modes than NG+ (with everything carried from the previous playthrough) in Acolyte and Warrior =/

Oh yeah I, too, stopped at chapter 13 because even if I go through the bags with enemies I don't know if fiend Genshin can be defeated with projectiles (I don't really thinks so, but if someone knows a tactic then it'd be interesting). Also Dagra Dai: it could be beaten with loads and loads of ninpo, but I'm almost sure that you'll run out of ninpo before you kill him.
Ninja Noob wrote:
H.Smoke wrote:I started a projectile only run
Bro, I'm glad you are enjoying this, but why don't you simply spend your time with the weapons rather than with projectiles? Did you clear Master Ninja story mode, in the end? I remember that you were playing without GT and other important techniques, I woul'd suggest you to clear MN story than replay it and learn the techniques and the weapons, it will be much more fun. Watch Reim guide and learn tricks. Or simply try mission mode (except the most annoying missions). If you are sick of tov's it's ok to skip them, but I woul'd say to stick with the proper gameplay.
I finished MN. Didn't do the ToVs because I already completed them in every other difficulty and I thought it'd be a waste of my time. However after replaying Warrior and Mentor I'm thinking about doing a NG+ in MN soon and do them just for the sake of it tho.

I finished MN without using GT, and barely used items aside from some bosses (although I used a lot of mushrooms in chapter 11 :eyebrow: ).