Playin' through this

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
Ylva
Global Moderator

Re: Playin' through this

Post by Ylva » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:20 am

Ch1 and 2 are the hardest in my opinion doing them on new game, when you don't have all the weapons and ninpo available on new game +.

It's sad you're skipping fights and ToV's. I have no doubt you can do them.

Did you do kill the dogs at the start of Ch2 or did you skip them too?
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 am

Ninja Noob wrote:When you have warlocks try to keep them out of camera: this way they won't attack you with either spells, grabs or attacks. It's much more easy if you face a wall and just try to slam ninjas into it, the warlocks will stay apart. This way, you will clear the room from ninjas and will face warlocks only, so you can try to kill them by charging UT's without using essence. Just don't face them, and they won't use any spell on you, but watch out when they are approaching you by moving underground, release the UT a fraction of second before they pop out of the ground or they will grab you. I don't have a precise strategy to kill them with UT's, don't be too strict on it but just try to experiment to see if you can occasionally kill one of them with UT's for your 1400 essence.
Didn't know that about the Warlocks. Honestly, when they're alone like in chapter 2 on the roof they're not that troublesome, things get annoying when they're with others enemies, specially their pals the IS Ninjas :x

I'll check those links too. I didn't know about the chests. I mean, I realized that you can actually manipulate some chests but never really get interested in how you can do that until now in MN
Ylva wrote:Ch1 and 2 are the hardest in my opinion doing them on new game, when you don't have all the weapons and ninpo available on new game +.

It's sad you're skipping fights and ToV's. I have no doubt you can do them.

Did you do kill the dogs at the start of Ch2 or did you skip them too?
Nope, I did fight them. Now I'm at Genshin at the end of chapter 2 and the only fights that I skipped are the ones on my previous post. Maybe, maybe I'll try the ToVs the next time I play MN, but right now I don't want anything with them. I finished them all in Acolyte/Warrior/Mentor
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Aussieland)

Post by Massaca » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:20 pm

There are two super easy ones (Ghost Fish + Worms and Bone Scorpions + Cannon Zombies) that you may as well do for the essence and reward. I think they're in Ch.04 and 10 but I'm not certain.
FullSpe3D
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by FullSpe3D » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:03 am

The one in Chapter 7 is worth doing as well. It has Pillbugs and some other enemy in it, and it gives you a Jewel. If you skip it, then there aren't enough Jewels in a single playthrough to max out Inferno, Wind and Void ninpo. You'll have to leave one of them at level 2 which sucks.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:00 am

I wont be doing any ToVs this playthrough, maybe the next time. Thanks anyway guys =/

The last thing I did was defeat Gigadeath. At first I didn't have any ninpo so its little spawns destroyed me every time so I redid the battle against all the VanGelfs almost perfectly and saved the ninpo for Gigadeath and I defeated him easily

Also I fucked up because I recalled that in Sigma 2 was a Muramasa's near the end of the chapter but here is replaced with the first ToV so I forgot to upgrade the Lunar to level 3

I'm barely using items except for bossfights. Genshin was really hard and I messed up a couple of times against Gigadeath and had to use some herbs
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:27 pm

H.Smoke wrote:Also I fucked up because I recalled that in Sigma 2 was a Muramasa's near the end of the chapter but here is replaced with the first ToV
Nope man, you actually have a Muramasa shop near the last save statue in NG2. From that statue, just walk back on the "bridge" from which you came and at the very end there is a shop. Hayashi, do not confuse people with your level design... :smile:
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:58 pm

Ninja Noob wrote:
H.Smoke wrote:Also I fucked up because I recalled that in Sigma 2 was a Muramasa's near the end of the chapter but here is replaced with the first ToV
Nope man, you actually have a Muramasa shop near the last save statue in NG2. From that statue, just walk back on the "bridge" from which you came and at the very end there is a shop. Hayashi, do not confuse people with your level design... :smile:
Damn, you're right, my struggle with the lvl2 Lunar was pointless :facepalm2:
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Hey guys finished chapter 10 yesterday so I'm about to start chapter 11... better start revving those tonfas and the wind blades :eyebrow:

Anyway I've been playing a lot because I redid a ton of fights in each chapter (although I screwed big time in some waves in chapter 8 and chapter 10). Also I've been rarely skipping any fights after chapter 4 (I usually skip the shitty ones like the building full of rocket ninjas in chapter 8 or the 2nd wave of floating turrets in chapter 9, but nothing else). One thing I do though, is to despawn the archers in certain fights because they're a pain honestly.

Also I've been experiencing really weird things regarding the spawn of enemies. I recall some VanGelfs going through a wall in chapter 3 and never coming back (like I could reach them anyway) or some gajas spawning literally falling from the sky in chapter 10. However the best was in the battle against GigaDeath when he did, I believe, it was its grab attack and disappeared from screen and the camera went bananas (you could see the plane or the stage inverted 180º). I could reset the camera but GigaDeath never 'returned'. Needless to say, I had to restart :ninja:

The good thing is that the game rarely frozen anymore (just a couple of times).

Oh, and one thing I'm meant to ask since I beat the game on Acolyte: what's the purpose of the giant crystal skull? I mean, what it does? It DOES something, right?
Ylva
Global Moderator

Post by Ylva » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Crystall skull appears after you collect all 30 skulls in the game and it gets you max karma points from all actions. On the leaderboards there's a column with the number of skulls for each score.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 pm

^I think there was also a rumor years ago that collecting all the skulls made the game more difficult? Probably just a rumor.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:11 am

I have 29 skulls in total. I watched a video with all the crystal skulls in the game but I can't still figure out where is the missing one, so odd.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:46 am

Finished Master Ninja. I used a lot of items in the last two chapters, mainly because I don't know how to fight the centaurs that first appear with Volf and every time I had to fight them I got destroyed badly.

Hardest chapters were without doubt 1, 2, 3, 4 and 11.

As I said previously, I rarely skipped fights (although I despawned archers sometimes and usually skipped the aerial fights). After chapter 4 I think I only skipped:

- rocket ninja building in chapter 8
- the 2nd wave of turrets in chapter 9
- the gang of acid worms in chapter 9
- Gold VanGelfs + Red Dragons in chapter 12 (this one was because the dragons, they're a pain to kill)
- annoying marionette fight at the end of chapter 12
- VanGelf fight before Dagra Dai (honestly, I just wanted to finish the damn thing at that point)

Even though I rarely bought items (except in chapter 11 when I bought a lot of mushrooms to abuse wind blades) I barely had essence before Dagra Dai (~90.000, not that low but not a lot compared to what I've seen). I think that I fucked up upgrading the Tonfas because I barely used them (I thought I'd use them a lot in chapter 11 and it wasn't the case). I wanted to get good with them but is pointless, I suck =/
I never use the Dual Katana or the Kusarigama so I didn't upgrade them.

Now regarding the game itself... Technically is a mess. The amounts of freezes I had was notorious (luckily it only froze 4-5 times during MN). The framerate is all over the place, I got screwed a lot of times because of it (now it comes to mind the 2nd Zedonius fight when he summons the gajas :scared: ). I respect people opinions that some fights look cool and all but nope, give me some stable framerate or at least one that doesn't kill itself like this one... In NGB/NGS the worst I had it was the fight against Hydracubus + bast fiends when he starts throwing acid balls and everything is on screen.

However the gameplay is amazing, fast, relentless, stylish and satisfying BUT since the AI is super cheap among other things there are a lot of times that you'll find yourself abusing i-frames and doing ET/UTs which for a combat engine as good as this one is criminal. In MN even humanoid ninja fights were annoying since they throw projectiles like there is no tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, is fun most of the time but it gets annoying more often than not too. I try to not abuse UTs but a lot of times in MN I gave up and went directly for them because there was point trying to do some combos when not only the AI is constantly throwing IS at you but also the enemies ignore the stun (I'm looking at the lycans here) :coffee:

Another thing that I'd like to address is the "fairness" of this game: this game is plain cheap, like, really... I don't want this post to be super long so I'll just say that the Rasetsu fight in chapter 11 is the epitome of everything wrong regarding the AI and the cheapness approach of this game.

But as I said, this is not a rant, I liked this game a lot... the gameplay is so damn good that you can bypass everything else (up to a point at least). I'll start a new game + on Warrior and maybe later Mentor just for fun because although I finished every difficulty I'm still wanting more :eyebrow:

EDIT: Oh and also thanks to Ninja Noob for posting Reim's walkthrough. I checked it a lot of times looking for different approaches to some fights and whenever I got stuck :thumb:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:14 am

I agree with a lot of what you've said. The game can be cheap, however, this lessens significantly the more you play it and understand the details. I have a save at the start of Ch 11 (basically end of chapter save from Ch 10) on MN with an OLB, full items and no ki meter bar. And, it was a 5th time successive play. I was able to manipulate things so I could have 10 Ki slots. If I can do that, the game is not excessively cheap, IMO.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:25 am

Hey guys I know this thread is kind of old but I've been replaying NG2 these last weeks and I've a couple of things to say that I don't think deserve to open another thread

Well as I said I've been playing this almost non-stop and beaten NG+ (starting with everything from level 1) in Warrior, Mentor and recently on Master Ninja again. This time without skipping any battles and doing every ToV

Well, honestly, I skipped 2 fights that I usually skip in every playthrough regardless of difficulty: the building with rocket ninjas in chapter 8 and the worm fight after the cave in chapter 9. They're extremely annoying and I decided to not doing them. There is another fight in chapter 14 before Genshin/Elizébeth with the red fishes that I never do but I said "well fuck, let's do it" but it is terrible and I can't believe there was people at Team Ninja that thought that fight could be somewhat fun. Fortunately I'm not interested in karma running this game because it looks like a really tiresome work

Speaking about the ToVs, I remember that I suffered a lot in Mentor the first time and they were basically an i-frames fest with the Lunar but since I did a NG+ on Mentor now with full knowledge of the game they started to get really easy and almost fun. In MN the only ones I'd say are difficult are the first one in chapter 3 and the fourth in chapter 6. Also I'd like to name the final ToV in chapter 11, now that's pure cancer. Probably the 2 normal enemies with most health toghether... I had to use 3 herbs, 3 grains, 3 mushrooms, 1 ToR, 1 SotD and 2 LotTG... I'm not saying it's difficult, it's not easy either, but is more frustrating than anything (and this can be said about almost every ToV in MN). It doesn't help the fact that is located in a place to just fuck the player because the next Muramasa is really far from it so if you're not prepared you can get screwed really bad

On a related note, Fiend Genshin is a pain to no damage. Although in MN I haven't managed to ND all the bosses (in fact, I'm able to ND just a few of them) I kind of ND all of them in other difficulties here and there, but this guy... I can't even do it on Warrior :facepalm2:
The Last time in MN I was really close with the Kusarigama, I think I can chop off ~50-60% of his health bar without receiving damage, but there is a point when he is at, like, 10% of health that he just goes bananas and starts teleporting away, dodging and blocking fuckin' everything! Is really annoying :hmm:

Anyway, now that I finished with this series of NG+ I think I'll move into Mission Mode. I don't really like MM in the first game but this one has the survival missions with each weapon and for some reason I liked the idea and I really want to try it. I don't think I care that much for the other missions honestly but for $7 I'll bite
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Aussieland)

Post by Massaca » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:17 am

I don't really have anything to say but just wanted to put my opinion in on one little bit:
H.Smoke wrote:There is another fight in chapter 14 before Genshin/Elizébeth with the red fishes [...] I can't believe there was people at Team Ninja that thought that fight could be somewhat fun.
Obviously yes, the fight is terrible but I don't think that was the intention. I think it's just there cause it's an awesome section when you run straight through. Running accross a lake of blood with these huge fiend Blood Eels jumping up to eat you whilst heading for the final confrontation.
Yeah it can be annoying if you get caught but iunno, I do think it is pretty awesome. Perhaps Sigma 2 did it better giving you the bridge to go across though.
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:21 am

Massaca wrote:I don't really have anything to say but just wanted to put my opinion in on one little bit:
H.Smoke wrote:There is another fight in chapter 14 before Genshin/Elizébeth with the red fishes [...] I can't believe there was people at Team Ninja that thought that fight could be somewhat fun.
Obviously yes, the fight is terrible but I don't think that was the intention. I think it's just there cause it's an awesome section when you run straight through. Running accross a lake of blood with these huge fiend Blood Eels jumping up to eat you whilst heading for the final confrontation.
Yeah it can be annoying if you get caught but iunno, I do think it is pretty awesome. Perhaps Sigma 2 did it better giving you the bridge to go across though.
One of the few things I like more in NGS2 is that you can actually shoot arrows at them. Here you have to either kill them with the scythe or the gatling gun.

I killed almost all of them with the scythe and just used the gatling gun when a few of them were alive at the other side of the arena so I could have time to finish them off before they get too close.

I don't know, maybe there is a way to reliable kill them using just the gatling gun or something else.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 pm

I hate the fight. It is so damn annoying. I very much prefer NGS2's version of it, with a bridge.
Ylva
Global Moderator

Post by Ylva » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:27 pm

I wish they were not immune to WS and IS. :{
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:04 pm

H.Smoke wrote: One of the few things I like more in NGS2 is that you can actually shoot arrows at them. Here you have to either kill them with the scythe or the gatling gun.
Unlike the lake in Chapter 9 where you can keep restocking arrows, in this fight I think there is no way to restock, so you'll run out of arrows- but you can actually kill them with arrow UTs, you have to hit them when they jump.

It's a pain in the ass and definitely not worth it under normal circumstances, but on a Karma run you can get a TON of points farming UTs on them.

(Also maybe you *can* restock arrows in Ch 14? It's been way too long, I can't remember...)
H.Smoke
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by H.Smoke » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Murphy's Ghost wrote:
H.Smoke wrote: One of the few things I like more in NGS2 is that you can actually shoot arrows at them. Here you have to either kill them with the scythe or the gatling gun.
Unlike the lake in Chapter 9 where you can keep restocking arrows, in this fight I think there is no way to restock, so you'll run out of arrows- but you can actually kill them with arrow UTs, you have to hit them when they jump.

It's a pain in the ass and definitely not worth it under normal circumstances, but on a Karma run you can get a TON of points farming UTs on them.

(Also maybe you *can* restock arrows in Ch 14? It's been way too long, I can't remember...)
There is a body to restock arrows in chapter 14 near that fight, but you wont be able to restock midfight. Didn't know that you can hit them with arrows UT when they jump.

In chapter 9 I position myself in the side of the ladder/bridge where they can't hit you and spam the gatling gun so it's more bearable. Also yeah, that's why I said that karma running this game looks like hell :ninja:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:51 am

I started a KR, but stopped it in Ch 3 when I fully realized all the BORING UT farming fights there were ahead of me. Literally, some fights could last for hours.
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by julius-ruler4 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:42 pm

IIRC on CH9 there is a spot where you can KR the fish with the KG UT's. I used it a lot to get on Warrior path to get up to 350 UT's (352 is my record using the LvL1 KG). And on CH14 you have to get to the other side of the lake to get to the KR spot (got 458 UT's out of it).

I hate using arrows for the fish, because my bow skills are very low.