Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-7) revived run

PLATFORM: Xbox 360; RELEASE: June 3rd 2008
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-7) revived run

Post by d_Nought » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:26 pm

Dunno if I'm gonna find the time to finish this anywhere in the near future, but chapter 2 was pretty hard so I thought I'd post.

Most of my motivation for doing this run was being inconsistent in farming Survival, so I thought I'd try raising my level with some handicap run action.
Run's probably gonna fail on Gigadeath unless someone finds a way to dodge his fish though. But whatever, if that happens I just want to keep going on play these conditions with other weapons.

Rod of Trials is definitely the worst one (if you don't farm for L3 vs Rastetsu 2). Falcons Talons room and Rasetsu with L3 talons weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. The Bridge fight with mages seemed bad at first but then I managed to do a few more after my first one and I picked the one with the most essence, not that it mattered in the end because I farmed a bit...

If anyone asks, the reason I don't use the Lunar is because I don't feel like it :ahhh:

I've also been doing head-on ToV1 as another form of hardcore practice but I don't have anything video worthy for that yet.
Last edited by d_Nought on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1 and 2) in progress challenge run

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:20 am

nice to see chapter 2 in full, well done mate!
good luck on the rest of the run, i hope the fact that it is impossible to fully complete does not frustrate u TOO much haha :ninjawink:
and why the hell wasnt i subbed to ur youtube already?? lol
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1 and 2) in progress challenge run

Post by d_Nought » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Chapter 3 done. Gonna talk over this next one so busy editing but for now I just wanted to get this part hot off the hard drive. Triple upside down cycle + two perfect fish dodges = :) (no thanks to Ryu whiffing every Wings of the Vermillion Bird attempt).

JTB123
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by JTB123 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 pm

That Giga fight was awesome, never thought of using the Talons against him before. I also see you're a ninja of class, using the best costume :thumb:
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 pm

again, congrats for achieving this... i always thought it was impossible... respect man! :thumb:
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-3) in progress challenge run

Post by d_Nought » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Chapter 3 was done a while ago. I tried a commentary run over it but I hated it so I nuked it. Might try again some other time. Anyway, here's the raw gameplay.

Right now I'm a decent way into Chapter 4, so all of the really hard stuff is over, at least until Chapter 10. I don't plan on doing all or even most of the Tests of Valor. That said, I didn't plan on doing Gigadeath properly either so who knows what will happen.

I was planning on putting a bunch of notes here as well but typing everything that's in my head takes forever. For now I will just say that this run has been somewhat enlightening when it comes to paying attention to the enemy's position and offensive status when it comes to deciding what moves to use. For example, when you are jumping somewhere with the DS, are you going to do OL X, OL >X, OL >Y or move somewhere else?

A few notes on chapter 3:

The mage/IS fight on the street that I did on purpose took a while. 90% of the time you just get blockstunned to death. But it's cool when it works. The main reason I use on landing running Y on the Talons as my spam move there and in other ninja encounters is because if it delimbs, it instantly goes into OT, and if it doesn't, you still get an invincible animation. >Y has an annoyingly inconsistent delimb rate on ninjas and sometimes Ryu can also miss the OT if he is bodyblocked or just feeling especially stupid. Still, it is fast and deadly if it works properly. With either Run Y or (OL) >Y another thing I do is jump around a lot and throw shurikens in order to control enemies, farm combo count, avoid getting stuck and avoid floor IS splash damage.

This chapter gives you a lot of essence on a no UT run since you can get bigger combos on the Van Gelfs without getting broken. On the first no UT/nin run I did that got to the end of chapter 3, I had just enough essence for the level 3 talons and level 2 DS. Here, I have enough for all level 3 (although I did farm 15K on the mages in Ch2). But I still left the lunar at level 1 LOL (because I want to immediately L3 the Dual Swords and Kusa when I pick them up).

Archers have significantly reduced accuracy off screen, but they still like to exploit certain moves, particularly flying swallow, missed OTs, helm splitter derivatives etc.

I upgraded the DS to L3 as a knee jerk reaction to getting Gold Van Gelf fireballed out of a Talons >Y. XXY>Y is really good on Gelfs and it seems to make fireballs miss you a lot. Maybe not all of the time, but you can play a bit more ballsy with that move than you'd expect.

Gigadeath what a fantastic boss. I hate all these gimmick projectile bosses, even though I liked 2 tanks/helicopter. Anyway, the biggest roadblock here is dodging his fish, which is basically pure RNG. They come at you in a staggered patterns, and if they sync up right, there is basically no combination of iframes that can dodge all of them short of UTs/ninpo. You can kill them with basically anything, including regular shurikens, but good luck getting Ryu to hit it properly. I tried a bunch of combos of double in air bow shot, shurikens, etc, but the only things that were promising were flying swallow and tap Y. you have a significantly higher chance of dodging or FS'ing his fish if gigadeath is further away - some of the fish hit the floor prematurely and explode, an the group also lines up in a row as they travel. If you are close, you get staggered fish on all sides = back to the start.

FS through his face with L3 Talons does a lot of damage and can be done at any time, but is risky and I don't know if it's 100% consistent at a particular timing. Also the Talons FS does the most damage out of all weapons, as if they didn't already need more advantages in their non-UT moveset. You can also hit the back of his tail at any time, though if you FS from behind too close you will still go forward into the zapper zone. When he flails around and spams plasma, you can also do Vermillion Bird on his tail, but I don't show it here.

The reason I start with running Y here is because I can follow it up with full WotVB into OL Run Y (though Ryu whiffs the VB triple FS here). Sometimes the running Y can double connect on his face and do more damage. It seems to be related to getting a head-on hit as well.

Obviously the key is getting him to go upside down and into non-zap mode, preferably for more than 1 cycle. He seems to have about a 10-20% chance of staying upside down for more than one cycle. However, he will only go upside down if you are behind him a bit after he turns around. This is another reason why I FS through his face - to get behind him and thus reduce the chance of him doing his wiggle grab, plasma spam or face attack. Another super annoying thing is that he seems to know that people might have tried doing melee attacks on him when he turns around, so he is quite likely to spawn fish when turning around, especially when he is upside down late game. In the video I just take the trade in order to get the damage.
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-3) in progress challenge run

Post by d_Nought » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:47 am

Ch4 done

First checkpoint is the last real hard forced fight until the chapter 8 Cathedral. As noted before, archer accuracy is significantly reduced offscreen, so long as you keep moving roughly left to right. They let you do running Y and >Y which is good enough for me. Also nice that the game considers you outside of the encounter once all of the IS ninjas are dead.

I wanted to be a cool guy and do the second checkpoint in one go with the DS (i.e. go through the big IS/mage fight, archers and dogs without saving). I ended up having to redo that IS/mage fight quite a lot, and the successful one is probably the most basic out of all my clears, just FS and XXYB, no use of counter X, the FS running X trick or any other fancy shit.

Most of the rest of this chapter is fairly straightforward. The Van Gelfs on Liberty Island were very mean and not letting me get big combos for essence and I ended up resetting a bunch. There is a small cameo from the level 1 lunar for no reason other than Farnham asked for it.

I still don't fully understand Alexei and how to improvise against him. But whatever, I don't really consider it important since he's not an enemy in Survival so I don't care too much. I still haven't finished MM on Master Ninja either lol.

These videos have been almost all DS and Talons, and I definitely feel a lot more comfortable with them now. From here until Ch8 I am going to put those away and as much as possible try to only use the Dual Swords and Kusarigama. Then the Tonfa when I get them.
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by d_Nought » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:45 pm

d_Nought wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:47 am

These videos have been almost all DS and Talons, and I definitely feel a lot more comfortable with them now. From here until Ch8 I am going to put those away and as much as possible try to only use the Dual Swords and Kusarigama. Then the Tonfa when I get them.
Well that lasted all of 0 encounters lol.

Anyway, comments on Ch5-7. Also the OP is a playlist link but here it is again on Ch5.

Ch5
Spoiler:
- For the werewolves in this chapter I just spammed >Y on the Talons. Probably wasn't a good idea to stream this when I didn't really have a handle on how to make shit up on the fly vs wolves. But Story Mode always gets more viewers and chatters than Survival -_-. Still, I always felt like I needed to keep things moving forward, and I ended up losing patience a lot faster than I would have if I played offline.

That said, even >Y on the Talons is nowhere near foolproof on the werewolves. They have a very high rate of dodging it, sometimes they can tank delimbs just because, and they can also throw body parts at you in the brief window between >Y and OT if you are just dialling it in.

Even with that said, in Ch5 the Talons are easily the best no UT weapon against the wolves. Interestingly enough, even if you remove >Y on the Talons, Vermillion Bird and various running Y tricks are still quite good as well. But that's in Ch6.

- Gajas and Kusarigama, super fun. Unlike the wolves I could cut loose and play stylish, since I already have a lot of experience with styling on Gajas with the Kusa. Running Y is super good for decaps, and if you can do it on landing it's even better, since the more you are airborne, the less Gajas can do about it. For some reason though, Ryu's auto targetting on OL Run Y with the Kusa is a bit more sketchy than with the Talons, which is why I do inair YX OL Run Y to set up. Most of the time I do YX B on landing, which is more of a Survival tic (I use inair YX Windmill Shuriken OL UT/XYY on the dogs), but if you don't throw the shurikens you can get OL run X as well, which has a good arm delimb rate but it's a bit sketchy to follow up into OT since it has some knockback.

Wallrun X on the Kusarigama is awesome and in my opinion its best move. Flying Swallow with more damage and more iframes. What's not to love? Too bad it's very hard to do in Survival.

- I actually gave ToV 3 a few fair goes but kept getting one shotted on the red werewolf phase. Eventually I decided it wasn't worth the farming, since it takes like 10-15 min to get past the dogs spamming XXY on the Lunar.

- Water Dragon is a lot easier if you learn the Calm Water Break (LT+A while running), which lets you sharply change direction while water running and gives you a lot of iFrames. I don't know if I show it much but I do use it to iFrame run over one of the water mines earlier. Farnham has a lot of videos about it. A bit of an unconventional ending to this fight though since I ended up underwater for some reason.
Ch 6
Spoiler:
- post-DOA2 Itagaki aka Drunken Skeleton is basically just farming until you get the pattern you want, i.e. sprinkle attack. Everything else is a bait. But if he gives you the sprinkle attack, he goes down pretty quickly with Kusarigama inair YXY. Kusarigama Y combo is pretty good to use on Gajas that are running at you, and wallrun X seals the deal, so no pressure on the post boss gauntlet :P

- in this chapter I was playing offline, so I had time to think about how to mix it up vs the werewolves with the DK, Kusa and Talons non >Y moves. On the Dual Swords, XXX>X is about as close to a guaranteed arm delimb as it gets. I actually ignored that move for quite a while but it turns out it has a use. 360Y is also obvious, a little too obvious for me ;). Running Y has quite a good delimb rate vs ninjas but doesn't really cut it against werewolves. The Dual Swords' usual suspect moves, inair YY and hold >Y spam actually aren't that great, they love to dodge the former and grab you out of the latter. I guess the big thing that catches you out with werewolves is you have to go back a bit more towards NGB mode and let them attack first. If you get a stagger on them then you can do pretty much whatever you want. I think I eventually ended up doing the different X combos to see what happens.

Talons non >Y = Vermillion bird into Run Y. I also try a bit of a weird trick where you can buffer Run Y after FS on nonhuman enemies (initiate FS, then as soon as it starts press hold backward on the left stick and then press Y when you hit the ground), but I don't think it's THAT useful for Werewolves. It only initiates if you hit the ground right behind the enemy and don't fly off far away or in the air. Werewolves dodge and counter FS quite a lot, and Run Y is not consistent or safe vs werewolves. That trick might be useful against Gajas though, but I didn't try. Also the last werewolf in the dining room of the Resident Evil mansion is a great showcase of how much they love to tank high delimb rate moves.

Kusa = wind path running attacks lol (see the Alpha wolf fight in Volf's throne room). Either one works.

- dual swords vs Gajas are ok. I tend to spam pre-Izuna launch into OL Run Y/360Y, and XX>XXX when I see the opportunity. Obviously staying airborne and doing high delimb rate moves with no startup is great, and if you set it up with say an FS on a lone Gaja away from the group, the teleports on the XX>XXX have a moderate chance of multi-delimb/decap. A lot of the time I also do the YY>Y launcher, which is more of a contingency for not getting an OT than actually intentionally doing that move. I really want to like the XYXXX (pause) Y flying swallow move, but it doesn't really do that much damage, shuriken cancelling the FS results in Ryu doing that super annoying vertical inair shuriken animation, the camera tilts so that you can't see the ground and time your OL properly, and sometimes Ryu likes to FS enemies on the ground instead of in the air, leaving you with FS recovery.

Also I missed editing a death where I whiff XXXYY and get oneshotted lol.

- I just spammed Volf. I don't show it in the successful take, but it is possible to semi consistently dodge his mid combo charge. He always precedes it with the same double arm swipe move that guard breaks you beforehand. You need to do the furious wind (blue guard break dash) to evade blockstun and be able to dodge the charge. Note that he doesn't always do the charge after the one two punch, and at the end of the fight I "dodge" what I'm expecting to be the charge but he just continues the combo.

- Surprise surprise, the Scythe is OP and the best weapon for fighting werewolves no UT. Windpath into inair XXY is a guaranteed delimb and there is very little they can do about it. It's about as close to foolproof as it gets, barring torso-chuck-during-OL-to-OT-frame-window bullshittery. Definitely more foolproof than Talons >Y.
Ch7
Spoiler:
I made the mistake of streaming this whole level. That video descended deep into the depths of the salt mines. The baby mechs, giant mech spam part and for some reason Genshin were all huge roadblocks in an otherwise easy level. I feel like in general this level turned out a bit sloppy. Doesn't help that this is full of tac ninjas who just interrupt everything you do. I was trying to work the Kusarigama's grabs into my combat flow, since I feel like I don't use them enough, but eventually reverted to my usual moves (i.e. running X, Y, wallrun X).

For the baby mechs at the start, I spent a few attempts doing Farnham's strat of hiding behind the doors for cover, but on my successful run I just raged out and went straight into the middle of the fight.

I felt like I had a good handle on the Giant Mechs playing a lot of Survival, but obviously they have more health on Master Ninja, and you never fight 6 of them 3 at a time in Survival. There's some patience strat with wall attacks but I just rolled the dice on level 3 DS FS decaps until I got lucky.

I actually got fairly close to the end of Genshin's minions on my second attempt (using the Tonfa), but then I got stuck there for about 90 minutes before I just conceded to ToV 1 strats with the Talons. Even then I miss a lot of >Ys and play super passive. I think I just completely lost all patience and composure here.

The first part of Chapter 8 is definitely going to be done offline lol. I feel like I haven't really gotten to grips with the Tonfa, outside of its most obvious moves, so I'm probably going to spend a bunch of time resetting and figuring it out.

Also I have about 160,000 essence already, with all weapons so far at level 3 and just the flails to go. So I don't really need to farm essence at all anymore. Those combo points really make a difference, so there's definitely some tangible benefit in learning to play for style. I don't really need to do any ToVs but I have an inkling to try ToV7.
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-7) dead run

Post by d_Nought » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:21 pm

xbox bricked.

thanks to the handful of people who watched. see you some other time in some other game on a non-cancerous system.
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-7) dead run

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:41 am

damn... we can never have nice things...
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Re: Master Ninja New Game No UT/Ninpo/Items/Izuna/GT (Ch1-7) revived run

Post by d_Nought » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 pm

Used a Talisman of Rebirth IRL. Expensive -_-.

NG2 is simply too good to abandon
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:27 pm

Excellent job! :thumb:
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:12 am

I'm glad you're still doing this. I know it's tough but what a great sense of accomplishment.