Ninja Archives Closing (6th October 2017) - MAYBE NOT

PLATFORM: PS3; RELEASE: June 14th 2007
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Ninja Archives Closing (6th October 2017) - MAYBE NOT

Post by Dark Hazuki » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:54 am

Hello. Just a quick post to let you guys know that Ninja Archives will be no more from the 6th October 2017, as it's closing down.

This may or may not be a surprise, but with the site only generating a handful of posts a month, I can't really justify the expense or time anymore, especially as there are free platforms out there such as discord, etc., that can do the job just fine. In fact, Massaca has a discord already setup, so maybe he will post a link here for anyone to join if they wish to do so.

So what happens to all the content? Good question, DH, thanks for asking:

I'm happy for the content to be hosted elsewhere, as it doesn't really belong to me at all. So if anyone wants to host the forum content, so members are still able to access it, then let me know here so we can discuss it. However, the 'Ninja Archives' brand sticks with me, I'm afraid. I have plans for that; plans that don't include Ninja Gaiden, I might add.

So, It's been great fun, I've loved the chats we've had here, but the time feels right to move on. I don't spend any time here at all anymore and am literally having to force myself to type out this post. I'm sure I'll pop into massaca's discord every now and then, so check you later, ninjas!
reim0027
Administrator

Re: Ninja Archives Closing (6th October 2017)

Post by reim0027 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:13 pm

It had to end sometime. It's been a good run. We've been a tight knit community and have had a clean forum of video gamers for a long time.
Massaca
Splatter Witch
Location: Free "Prisoner" at the Demon King's Castle (NSW, Aussieland)

Post by Massaca » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Well, if it actually becomes A Thing I'mma have to start using it >_> Guess I should change the name of it too?
https://discord.gg/Sc8SCjt
If your user name there is different from here, please let me know who you are.

Also might I suggest setting this thread as an announcement or global so it spans all sub-forums?
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:00 pm

There's a way to move all the posts and possibly profiles somewhere else? I'd hate the concept of starting all over again.
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:51 am

Totally understandable, enjoyed it alot bros. Everybody join massaca's discord, I've joined and unwary has joined, and we'll be posting our ninja gaiden streams in the discord whenever we start streaming. The discord should do more than enough as far as sorting out posts that people would want, if enough people join it, then more categories/topics can be made within it.

Thanks a ton Hazuki, really enjoyed this community and will continue to do so as best we can
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:21 am

Signed up. And, thanks again DH. I remember when IW went down. I made a FB group to keep in touch while you created this wonderful forum. You've gone above and beyond keeping it going.
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 am

Sent out a group PM to everyone with the closing date and a link to the topic, just to hopefully catch everyone for max visibility.
Knipping12
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by Knipping12 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:22 am

Wow it’s been a really long time since I’ve been around. Hope everyone’s doing well, but I’m bummed to hear the board is finally closing down. You guys are an awesome group and I have nothing but thanks for all the support and advice I got around here way back when.
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:00 am

How much does it cost to keep the site going for a year? Since you're keeping the name, does that mean the name has to change if someone else takes over? After the whole IW ordeal, I really hate to see this happen but I understand you wanting to move on. I know myself and another person would be willing to fund the site another year.
julius-ruler4
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by julius-ruler4 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 am

I think it was indeed bound to happen eventually. To be honest, I enjoyed every second of it. Ninja Archives became my home once I settled in and it was a site to visit every day of the week. I will remember all the things that are said here and it would be a shame if all content gets lost. YouTube is there fortunately to make sure our videos don't go to waste.

My only hope is that we all meet again on that Discord or a different website.

Yours Sincerely
Julius
Fejer
Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword

Post by Fejer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:58 am

Sorry to hear that the site might end. Even though I was not active anymore in the past few years I still enjoyed the time I spent here and have some good memories.

Thanks for the work and effort you spent on keeping the community alive Dark Hazuki. Wish you all the best with your future projects.
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:55 pm

Bigalski wrote:How much does it cost to keep the site going for a year? Since you're keeping the name, does that mean the name has to change if someone else takes over? After the whole IW ordeal, I really hate to see this happen but I understand you wanting to move on. I know myself and another person would be willing to fund the site another year.
You should speak to JTB about it (if he isn't who you mean). He's said he's just waiting to hear back from DH about transferring hosting and details and such.
Personally, I don't think it was explicitly about the cost being high but rather the value coming from it. Considering how it's going nowadays :shrug: And IIRC we've all said we'd gladly help with that but it's running and upkeep/maintenance of the site* that I think is the big thing. And please, DH, correct me if I'm not quite right about it.

*Which is the reason I haven't said anything about taking over/helping BTW, just saying cause I never ended up responding earlier. I honestly know nothing about that or any sort of coding and as such simply would not be capable (guarantee I couldn't learn either).
Massaca
Splatter Witch

Post by Massaca » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Well, no matter what happens next, always loved this place and the community. Have a lot of gratitude towards you <3
And Especially DH, Reim and Puregrunt for their work keeping it running and clean (so to speak), the stuff you never hear about. So a big thank you to you guys :ninjabow:
TheGodfatherDictator
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by TheGodfatherDictator » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Will be sad this see this place go. Myself I already had a discord server a while back, so that will be no problem to join. 2nd not everyone but I'm sure the majority of the videos I've been save by Sneh a while back. Myself I have pretty much all my footage on Youtube. Side note for everyone here I've started streaming full time on Twitch (Twitch.tv/thegodfatherdictator) and I want to build a community there so we can play different games with bunch of different players along the way and it's also surprisingly nice way to interact with peoples, which is why I kinda left out Youtube these last few years. So if some of you want to join me on my stream, talk about NG or hell play others games together it would actually be very nice. On that note I hope that everyone else have a good life ( If I don't see some of you again in the future) and this NG community to me as always been awesome, thx to everyone ! :sunnyd:
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks, everyone. It's been great knowing all of you. And you never know, Ninja Archives may be back in some form or another. I have some ideas for the archives, and although I can't really say much now, I can say that it won't revolve around Ninja Gaiden.

Ninja Gaiden has made this site what it is, I'll always be grateful; but at the same time, it's probably what's held it back. I have nowhere near the enthusiasm for the game that I used to, which is part of the reason for moving on.

Anyway, thanks again.
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I guess the value is in the eyes of the beholder Massaca. I know my viewpoint is a little skewed because of what happened at IW's and I'd hate to lose this site as well. There are other members that know the tech side of things if it came to that. I just hope we can figure it out in a week.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:47 pm

I would also just like to say a special thanks to reim and Massaca, because they've worked really hard behind the scenes, keeping this site ticking over. Without reim's input and keen eye, the archives would've been overrun by bots and bad members long, long ago. Puregrunt, also. Cheers, ninjas.

Also, Massaca works tirelessly, always coming up with new ideas and suggestions. His input and activity have kept this place going.

I know everyone has played their part, so thanks, it's appreciated.
Fiend Busa
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by Fiend Busa » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 pm

Ah that's a shame! Going to miss this site!

I have a programming background and can cover the cost to keep the site open if that's possible? Kind of sad to see it go away.
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:52 pm

I'd like to keep everything we have on this forum if possible, even if the name of the site changes and someone else takes over.
reim0027
Administrator

Re: Ninja Archives Closing (6th October 2017) - MAYBE NOT

Post by reim0027 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:30 am

Bigal and JTB are looking to host this site for another year, so we are likely going to stay open for at least another year, for those of you guys who want to keep going here!
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:26 am

If there is any need for funding let us know. I have no problem chipping in.

Hoping this happens and the site survives. :smile:
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bigalski » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:53 pm

JTB and DH are working together to help get the site transferred over so we can keep the site another year. JTB and I will cover the cost this year and if we all decide to keep the site going next year, set up something so people can donate at that time. Maybe once everything has settled, we can send out a mass e-mail before this site shuts down and then another mass e-mail under the new name of the site to let people know.

Also we need to come up with a new name. I know I'm old school but I really like NGrealm. It has some history with the name, encompasses the core game that started everything, and lets us expand to other game "realm"s if we want too. Just my two cents.
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants
Location: British Headquarters of The International Dojo of Ninjas

Post by Luckrequired » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:13 pm

I was thinking "LuckRequired & Friends" as the new site title, only because it'd be ridiculous to include all of your names. Ain't enough room for that! :awesome:

I'd call it, "The Home of Friendly Killers" (FBI might track us with that name tho) or "Ninjas Without Attitudes". Either way it would have to be something daft and stupid if you left it my hands.
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:53 pm

I think NGrealm is a good name. I think i could donate something if it's needed in 2018 after the year is up.
Fejer

Post by Fejer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:41 am

If JTB be needs any help with the transition of the website, let us know. I have bit of Java web development skills and I could help getting it to run if help is needed. Also I was wondering what the conditions are, apart from having to change the name and some of the logos? Does content need to be removed, do usernames need to be changed?