Started playing this again.

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Re: Started playing this again.

Post by iraqoz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:55 am

Kazama Jin wrote:not at all harder than the VF form at high levels in my opinion. He spam throws the X~Y VF throw, it's crazy cheap at times..The sigma+ nunchaku survival time mission against the VF clone is one of the most frustrating things I've ever played having to do with the NGB system. I was shocked that something could be that not fun and be associated with NGB in any way shape or form. You basically have nunchaku only, and have to run away from the VF clone for however many seconds while he tries to spam wall jumps, ninpo, or the X~Y lock throw. Some of the most flamboyantly stupid development decisions I've recently witnessed, those sigma+ added missions. :T
Yea VF form is hardest IMO being it story mode or mission mode. He spam the same F*** throw XY and it seems you cant block it because of the long recovery frame, thou some times you can....really weird.
I know what you mean by that survival mission in NGS+ :laugh2: the first time I played it.....I was like "WTF they joking right".....I knew there is something fishy about it because its litteraly impossible to kill him with a Nunchaku/wooden sword and you can get kill by 2-3 hits from him !!!! I looked at the internet and someone posted that you only have to survive for 2 minutes (you have no chance atall to know that information.....the timer run normally from zero and not decreasingly from 120 as someone will thinks.....how SHOULD WE KNOW ???)......PHEW ALOT easier...still hard if you just jump around blindly but if you keep your block and dash at certain distance the AI will follow you without doing anything....also most of the time.
And I also agree that those extra missions in NGS+ are pointless.....WTH are they thinking puttin 5 missions where you only can use your arrow :flame: WHY IN THE HELL you keep bringing PISTOL to a KNIFE FIGHT (just figure of speech).......I never understood that S**** seriously why......and that touch feature is hard as HELL to use....and why should I learn to aim in a Ninja game ?????????

Thanx god they removed that S*** in NG2/NGS2
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm watching the video.

Pretty good player. As was previously said...He doesn't seem to know about windpathing. He uses X, X, Y, B, Y a lot which is kind of cool because I learned about that technique after I beat MN so don't use it much ( I use it more now because it is really useful in NG2). He effectively drags essence from encounter to encounter which is something you should always try to do.

Murphy is right....you really do get a sense for where the fiends are. And to be honest there are a lot of encounters where the fiends always start in the same place....so you know where they are going to be when you start the encounter. Of course after you start the encounter they move around and that is when that sense you get kicks in.

The Winmill Shiruken ninja aren't that bad, imo. They have an unblockable grab where they grab Ryu then stick him in the back with their sword. They are going for that grab when they kind of roll/cartwheel at you, iirc. You can roll just before they grab you to not get grabbed, but just standing there blocking will get you grabbed (thus unblockable). And they have that pesky windmill shiruken. When you have the Flying Swallow they are weak against it. Also windpathing into a combo works well. Sometimes I'll Flying swallow one then roll on landing into a windpath to a combo....he's done. But actually, if you just windpath and then combo him....he's done.

He doesn't know how to beat Murai. Best way is to use the Dragon Sword, stay middle distance and hold block. Murai will roll towards Ryu. Immediately after the roll you can hit him with X, Y, OL Y. Roll away...Repeat. Sometimes you can do this after you kill one of the ninja and the OL Y will do an ET/UT...So awesome when that happens.

l forgot about Izuna Dropping Clone Ryu in the Archive. You can do it using the Lunar (which is tricky) or using the DS. It is just cool beyond words when you Izuna Drop him from the 3rd floor all the way down to the first floor. I think a lot of people don't know you can Izuna Drop with the Lunar in NGB. It is hard to pull off. First you have to get the fiend up into the air (which is the tricky part) then X+A up to him then X, X, X, Y. So the full keystrokes would be >Y, X+A, X, X, X, Y. I can never get the >Y, X+A out fast enough to pull it off. If you kill Clone Ryu with a UT (which is doable, believe it or not)...it is worth 40,000 essence (I think).

Sorry for posting so much info and comments in one post....just illustrates how rich this game is, I guess. I also apologize in advance if I got some of my tips wrong (I have a terminal case of CRS (Can't Remember Shit).
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:12 pm

iraqoz wrote: Yea VF form is hardest IMO being it story mode or mission mode. He spam the same F*** throw XY and it seems you cant block it because of the long recovery frame, thou some times you can....really weird.
I know what you mean by that survival mission in NGS+ :laugh2: the first time I played it.....I was like "WTF they joking right".....I knew there is something fishy about it because its litteraly impossible to kill him with a Nunchaku/wooden sword and you can get kill by 2-3 hits from him !!!! I looked at the internet and someone posted that you only have to survive for 2 minutes (you have no chance atall to know that information.....the timer run normally from zero and not decreasingly from 120 as someone will thinks.....how SHOULD WE KNOW ???)......PHEW ALOT easier...still hard if you just jump around blindly but if you keep your block and dash at certain distance the AI will follow you without doing anything....also most of the time.
And I also agree that those extra missions in NGS+ are pointless.....WTH are they thinking puttin 5 missions where you only can use your arrow :flame: WHY IN THE HELL you keep bringing PISTOL to a KNIFE FIGHT (just figure of speech).......I never understood that S**** seriously why......and that touch feature is hard as HELL to use....and why should I learn to aim in a Ninja game ?????????

Thanx god they removed that S*** in NG2/NGS2
LOL no kidding, right? The one that really left me like :confused: was the crap where you only have a wooden sword, and you run around fighting zombies with it to get the jewels of the swordsmith soul, like 6 times (or however many it is for the UF to be upgraded), then fight spirit doku, or something like that. It's quite a long mission, what the hell is the point of this sort of thing? It was thoroughly confusing.

If they're going to make missions like that, they really should just put a mission editor in with the game, and let people who know what they're doing make missions. and post them online.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:56 pm

Awesome thread I like this board!!! :)

Ok, LOL, so I noticed that if I completely block a full combo from ANY type of ninja in this game, not only regular, not only white, but also from Windmill and BS, without reverse wind or windpath, I can land a guaranteed combo or even charge UT safely if there aren't other guys in proximity............. I thought I was at frame disadvantage after blocking, and I could land a hit only if I reverse wind or windpath into roll against the stronger ninjas, and cleared normal and hard only with RW and WP combos.......... LOL this made the things a lot easier, LOL it is actually harder to land a combo after a reverse winded attack than after a blocked attack. This is not "very hard" anymore, LOL this game is just only about knowledge and probably all that skill is not really required if you just want to complete it. Of course you guys that can complete it on restriction are very skilled, I don't want to sound lame :D

Please, if there are other lame things like this that you woudn't ever thought I could miss like an idiot, aknowledge me... Also, do you know the original name of all the ninja enemies in game?

So I completed the first chapter. Now the temptation to replay it is strong, since I have this new knowledge and since first chapter always beats me hard... I'd like to practice it to an extent I can beat it every time I play it and take my revenge on it :flame:
Don't know, btw I can play it everytime I like without saving the game because it's atcually the first chapter....

Edit: LOL I replayed it no UT no healings and made it to the room before the first save point :D LOL blocking is cheap :D
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:16 am

Ok.....started a very hard run today. Man have I gotten rusty!! I'm at Masakado. Took me a couple tries to get Murai. I lucked out and got one nunchaku UT and one dragon sword ET into him before I put him down.

I suck with the bow. Gotta dig up a small piece of tape to put on my screen to act as a targeting reticle before I get to the airship. Gotta say this is still my favorite game.
iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by iraqoz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 pm

Naaah blocking is not cheap....if you can survive with only blocking then its no problem. I cant really remember the first chapter on VH, but IIRC they grab alot and they do it FAST. So normally I wont stay still in one spot too long. But again all my experiences comes from the Sigma version, Iam not sure if chapter 1 in both versions is the same.

One thing Iam pretty sure of that chapter 1 in NGS in MN is MUCH harder than NGB.......stay still and only blocking for even 1-2 extra second and you'll get killed instantly.....yup believe it or not those red spider ninja can chain-grab you to death.

I say keep going dont reply anything right now, just focus on finishing the story.....you'll have plenty of time later.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:49 am

I'm playing the Archive Challenge on Master Ninja, I see that I have slightly less health bar than other players I watched in videos, and my DS is level 2, so I guess these guys have done the Catacombs first. So, if you come from the Catacombs, your save statue is in the room with the elevator taking to Doku, before Alma fight, and the main gate of the monastery is locked... so this mean that every time you die in the challenge you have to restart from the elevator. I don't know... is it worth the pain? I mean, the Master Ninja AC is really painful, but with a level 2 DS the enemies still die with just an Izuna combo or a UT, and I almost have the same health the other guys have, and I have level 2 Vigoorian Flails which anyways I don't use in this challenge. Also, since an Izuna combo or a UT kills an enemy most of the time, I'm thinking about using Armlet of the Moon instead of Sun. What do you think?
balbaid
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by balbaid » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Why aren't you using The Flails? It's the best weapon for that challenge. Unless you're going for a No UT run. But yeah if you are doing the Archive Challenge in chapter 7, you can only save in that save statue near Doku.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:09 pm

Balbaid, I heard that the Flails are very good in this challenge, so I tried them, but I feel they are less safe than the DS, I get interrupted so often during a combo. Maybe you can explain the advantages of the flails, and tell me a trick or two, as you may argue It's my first time trough master ninja :)
Meanwhile I'll watch again the masterJT vids on youtube, he uses the flails in the AC...
BTW, the only thing that really blows my mind in this challenge is that the greater Bast fiends have random I-frames, so annoying...
balbaid
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by balbaid » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Chaining UTs with the Flails is probably the best way to go about doing the challenge. The last hit of the UT can kill a cat fiend. So make sure to direct your UT mid-animation toward another target to kill 2 per UT.

Also the XYXXXXXXY to deal with single target is great.

Here's a video I made a few months ago doing the challenge in chapter 6 with the flails.
Spoiler:
[youtube]
[/youtube]
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:58 am

Oh, yes, I know that video, I watched most of the videos from your karma run, which is an insane display of skills and strategy, really awesome play! In your AC, you use some devil elixirs, but I planned to not buy any kind of elixir from Muramasa, and use only the ones I get from scarabs, chests, ground etc. and to not use smoke bombs.
Don't ask me why: I'm osessed with these kind of things, I want to learn how to fight without too much help from items, even if it is my first MN run. I cleared every encounter and fiend challenge on VH with these rules, and I think I learned a lot from it. I broke these rule only for the emperor boss, because it is a fight I don't like, I'm not interested in learning it, so I just ninpo out of it.

So, I'm doing this AC with the DS, and it is ending up being a mixed approach between regular combos and UT's. Sometimes I switch to the Lunar for the UT, other times to the Flails, then come back to the DS if for some reasons there is not more essence on the ground. I think I'll use the flails much more for UT's in my next tries, thanks for advices and support, and especially for the vids you produce, invaluable stuffs, it is mostly karma runs but I still learned a lot of things for survival approach from them.

Anyways, what this game is teaching to me is that to be proficient it's better to use your time to practice instead of talking. The Peristyle challenge on VH with my rules took me three days of intense play to overcome, but in the end I felt like my ninja sense evolved and enemies moved in slow motion :D :thumb:
balbaid
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by balbaid » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Practising is the best way to beat it. The second time you come around doing MN again, you'll breeze through the chapters.

Best of luck and thanks for the compliments. :smile:
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:55 am

Just one more question: I have the disc version of this game, it is the Classic series, If I press L1 button I can see the Karma indicator in the upper left area of the screen, but I can't see combo, kills and time indicator. How do I activate it?
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I beat AA and Spirit Doku in the same session. Usually I rage quit both of them for a day or two.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:18 am

Well, beat it on normal. Just love this game. I whiffed two UTs on Marbus, didn't do great in the fight and used two great elixirs... :oops:
I was also one life of the gods short, so didn't quite get everything. I'd like to thank JTB for the scarab guide because I'd never be able to find them all by myself. Tomorrow is hard mode then, I guess.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:22 am

You'll get back in the swing of things, man. NGB on Normal is still waaay harder than a lot of games.

Hell, every time I play NGB/S and realize my health doesn't regen between fights, I'm like... :sob:

NG2 spoiled me good on that front. ;)
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Made it to chapter 5 last night, got past the bast fiends in the alley and made it to the save next to the red jewel door. Had some pretty close calls but I am doing okay. Today I want to beat the library challenge, if I can get past Hydrocubus...

@MG: NG2 also spoiled us with full heals at save points!
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:03 pm

I beat the library (which I should call archives) challenge on my first go! I really couldn't believe it. I went up top and beat all the monks, then I stayed on the stairs and bottlenecked the basts, catching 1 or 2 in my UTs. Maybe I cheated it a bit, maybe I played it smart, not really sure. Now I have about 55 thousand essence and no Idea what to spend it on. The Ghuls are coming up, so that's easy cash and they are likely to max my essence meter. Might buy a couple of talismans and save them for upcoming hardships.

I also have a question, you know just beyond Muramasa's shop there is a green jeweled door? Well, in there is a cracked door. Do I need the warhammer/dabi to open it or will IS do the job?
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:11 pm

You need the Warhammer/Dabi.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks, just what I was thinking.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:57 pm

ShreddyBobby wrote:I also have a question, you know just beyond Muramasa's shop there is a green jeweled door? Well, in there is a cracked door. Do I need the warhammer/dabi to open it or will IS do the job?
Remember that, when you will play through very hard and master ninja, cracking that door will be the only way to get the Dabilahro. And, after the military chap, after the train wreck, two gates will prevent you to wander freely through Tairon, and you'll be forced to go through the aquaduct. So, if you intend to use the Dabi in the aquaduct, get it as asoon as you get the hammer.

Now, a question for you veteran ninja guys: is it possible to fight multiple true imps coupled with greater imps WITHOUT ninpos? I'm saying this because if you fight without ninpo they are really tough, but with ninpos are pretty easy, you buy your elixirs and are ready to go.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks, I actually forgot where Dabi was. I use it a lot on the worms. As for your question, I have no idea. True Imps are laser crabs, right? I suck at those guys. They are especially nasty in the core because they can warp you through the floor.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:19 pm

Ninja Noob wrote: Now, a question for you veteran ninja guys: is it possible to fight multiple true imps coupled with greater imps WITHOUT ninpos? I'm saying this because if you fight without ninpo they are really tough, but with ninpos are pretty easy, you buy your elixirs and are ready to go.
Sure. Catch the slider guys with roll -> Izuna Drops after they slide while trying to avoid the true imp / laser crabs. And then handle the laser crabs by keeping only one on the screen and punishing its laser attacks with Dabi combos or something like that. NGB enemies get a lot less aggressive when off-screen. People manipulate this a lot during the Great Bridge Challenge, for example.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:53 pm

I beat the stadium fight with the 80 0gres. It wasn't bad, sometimes you can get caught by a swing if they pile up on you, but it's not too bad. A cheeky Ogre jumped on me from off screen and I died. Let my talisman restore me because I was about 70 in and didn't want to start again. I just ran back to the Aquaducts and picked one up that I left in the chest.

Another question. Is there a way to get more than 30 saves on my Xbox? I'd like to save at lower difficulties and then go back to practice.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Murphy's Ghost wrote:Sure. Catch the slider guys with roll -> Izuna Drops after they slide while trying to avoid the true imp / laser crabs. And then handle the laser crabs by keeping only one on the screen and punishing its laser attacks with Dabi combos or something like that. NGB enemies get a lot less aggressive when off-screen. People manipulate this a lot during the Great Bridge Challenge, for example.
Thanks man. I tried to keep them out of camera, but they still laser me alot. But, I'll try again when I reach them in my second playthrough. Timmy Gunner has just defeated Alma, so he's playing the military chap, we'll see very soon how he will manage True Imps in the aquaduct, cannot wait to watch his magic :-)

Btw, I think there isn't any master ninja story mode no ninpo recorded playthrough atm, am I correct? I think I just searched for no UT's, but never try no ninpo...