Started playing this again.

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

reim0027
Administrator

Re: Started playing this again.

Post by reim0027 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:09 pm

LOL. Awesome! A whole new world has just opened up for you guys.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 pm

:surprise:

Actually, Right Trigger and Right Stick are separate. TGD is keeping Ryu in frame by moving the RS only.

Using the Right Trigger to center is just really helpful when the camera gets lost or you need to get Ryu moving where you want him.

I forget about the First Person View, only use it once in awhile to look around.

Isn't clicking the RS useful when fighting bosses sometimes?
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:58 pm

^ Not that I know of in NGB. Could be, though.

In NG2 the RB toggles the camera from being locked to the boss vs. standard following Ryu mode during boss fights, which can be quite useful in instances where the boss has minions.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:33 pm

I think you are right, Murphy.

NG2 only.
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Murphy's Ghost wrote:^ Not that I know of in NGB. Could be, though.

In NG2 the RB toggles the camera from being locked to the boss vs. standard following Ryu mode during boss fights, which can be quite useful in instances where the boss has minions.

Whenever I used to accidentally hit that and not know what it did, I would get killed everytime. It happened to me in a rasetsu fight and like 9 wind blades came off screen and ended the run. :hmm:

I really do however like the idea of when there's more than 1 boss, the right trigger let's you toggle between which boss it focuses on. It's incredibly useful for the multiple rasetsu parts, doubt I could beat them without that.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:10 am

Ok I cleard normal a second time, 7:34 total clear time. I'm going into hard mode, I think this is the true hearth of the game because it isn't comparable to normal AT ALL, it is a completely different game and it is much harder. You guys that can clear it FREESTYLE are true beasts, period.

About the camera: the camera switch through right stick click is very useful. But the fact that enemies don't attack you if they are out of the camera.... I can't figure it out because I keep being charged by foes from offscreen. Have to check TGD vids again, but please can you tell me if there is a way to watch old Bigalski and Reim NGB vids I heard about?

Thank you guys!
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:25 am

Ninja Noob wrote: But the fact that enemies don't attack you if they are out of the camera.... I can't figure it out because I keep being charged by foes from offscreen. Have to check TGD vids again, but please can you tell me if there is a way to watch old Bigalski and Reim NGB vids I heard about?
I'll try to find some links and get back to you. :smile:

As for the camera- the off-screen exploit isn't exactly guaranteed in NGB, and doesn't work for enemies that have already 'decided' to do something.

The enemies that are off-camera will tend to be less aggressive, and not initiate attacks as often. But they still can, and particularly if you swept the camera over an enemy that started to attack you or started to close in to initiate an attack, turning the camera away won't stop them.

In general, using the 3d rotation feature and being aware as you're moving around in battle should give you a good idea of where the enemies are. Knowing what the enemies are and what their attacks are, you'll eventually begin anticipating what the enemies you can't see are doing, and acting accordingly.

Always prioritize defense in NGB. Ryu's one ninja against an army, he can't afford to trade hits. Your defense will also create opportunities for offense, capitalizing on enemies that have just whiffed an attack.

There is one instance in NGB where I remember the off-screen exploit being really important- I believe when players fight multiple Berserkers they attempt to keep the one they aren't fighting off-screen, as NGB Berserkers won't use their AoE Firepit attack if they're kept off-screen. I *think* that was the deal, anyway.
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:39 am

yea. NGB berserkers are some of the easiest things to deal with in a group of only berserkers. However, berserkers and other stuff can get kind of annoying.

but yea just keep one berserker on screen and you're good. Otherwise, the others in view will firepit and fireball.

Sigma 1 however, as everyone probably remembers, made it to where berserkers would deliberately and aggressively firepit and fireball off screen. I thought it was cool at first, but I get tired of this sort of non-deliberate developmental decision. Instead of giving them a new move that's actually balanced, they just tweaked a quick AI change so that they attack offscreen and hoped it would work itself out. The result is that it's just a bit broken in my opinion.. as fun as it can be to lunar counter I-frame through berserker firepits repeatedly, it just seems a little cut throat, given the damage they do, and the sheer amount of berserkers in the stadium challenge.

I really like berserkers though, one of the most badass monsters in NG.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 am

Hey this thing is ending up being a lot EASIER than I thought... as usual, the first chapter is deceiving and the others seem to be easier to figure out. Just a question: how it is that I'm in chapter 5 and I don't have the izuna drop? Oh and I think I missed the wooden sword also, but I don't mind since I can't really obtain the Unlabored Flawlessness before chapter 14
iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by iraqoz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:39 pm

I agree with MG....the camera exploit (atleast in NGS) is not guaranteed, but its good way to make enemies with projectiles less aggressive. Its essentially to use it against Berserker. I have tried them recently with NGS+ in the Vita, its obvious that if you keep the 2 of them out from the camera they wont fire flame-ball at you, thou they still spam the firepit (I believe they dont do that in NGB).
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:34 pm

In hard mode you have to collect 20 scarabs for the wooden sword. In all the other difficulties you buy it from Muramasa for 500. Far as I can recall. There used to be some videos of a player kicking ass with the un upgraded wooden sword. Bout as hard as it gets in NGB.

If you are a decent player earliest you can upgrade to the UF is Ch. 8, iirc.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:23 pm

I love the fact that the different difficulties have different enemies and item placement. Also, it takes longer to upgrade your health bar.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:51 am

Ok I got plenty of free time the last two days, today I played the whole day, always on my first hard playthrough: I f***in LOVE this game. It's awesome in so much ways that I can hardly explain without forgetting many things...

Some highlights:

I'm not using much ninpos or exploits cause I want to learn melee fight, but of course I still use ET/UT. The only boss I cheated on was Ryu clone in the Archives because I couldn't figure out how to kill him. The ninjas in the first chapters are always the hardest enemies for me to fight. But I feel I'm improved against them. The soldiers are much easier. Murai is easy. Dynamo is easy when you are up close but always hits me with the beam weapon from distance, I read in this thread that many guys have the same issue. I LOVE the suits of the Tairon soldiers on hard mode!!!

Well, so the first real challenge in this playthrough for me was Ryu clone in the Archives: it is the only thing I "cheated" against. I got to the second floor and X->Yed him to death with the nunchaku. It is sad to say, but I didn't practically found a way to hit him consistently, and I was tired to go back to the save point. I will try to kill him fair in my next runs when I'll be more skilled and, especially, experienced. The second thing I spent much hours trying to clear was the Archives cats'n'priest challenge. I don'ì know how many times I tried it, but in the end I cleared it. The Lunar seems the only realiable weapon to ground those tedious priests, many many thanks to TGD for making awesome vids on the safest ways to solve problems in this game. I figured out most of the cats patterns, but I didn't find a reliable way to avoid their FS, it seems they throw it when you are both in range and not defending, or whan you are in the air. Oh and also their throw is annoying but they don't do it very much.

The catacombs: I climbed back up to Muramasa and upgraded VF, and used them with the armlet of Potency. Damn I LOVE this weapon, because I like kicks and it is all about awesome kick animations that do huge damage. I like the fact that Team Ninja designed the P.Armlet just to let you one shot most of the regular fiends with those cool kick combos. I used VF also against the bone dino and simply destroyed him in few seconds... I cleared the catacombs without too much effort, I think they are identical to normal diffculty.

Alma, first encounter: VERY hard to me, she kicked my arse. Don't know how many hours it took. But what I like in this game, is that it's not important how much time my arse get kicked, I just like to play the same section over and over again and it is always AWESOME. I killed her without ninpos, but I used just one Inferno in the end when she had just a sliver of life because eh :D
Have to check some mission vids I watched a month ago to see what is the best combo to punish her after dodging her kick grab. I basically do X->Y (hold) -> shuriken with the DS.

Military chapter: I thought it woud have kicked my arse but I cleared it no problem. The new soldiers are cool and strong but they don't give many problems actually. Not too different from easy difficulty. Aqueduct: easy. I killed the worms with the ->YXY VF combo with the armlet. Ryu clone with Dabi: cakewalk. The fiends challenge was a bit harder to me this time, I cleared it with the Lunar. And I stopped there, basically. The counter points more than 14 hours till this point. My second normal playthrough I cleared in less that eight hours I think. I'm definitely improving, but in some cases I'm still acting a bit randomly. I'd like to fix this ASAP, but I think it will take the time it needs.

A thing I'm not doing too much is the shuriken cancel on combos. I just use shuriken to avoid sticking to walls or to slow enemies down while I'm in the air going for an OL->something. I'd like to cancel my combos like you pro guys do, it's sooo stylish... Also, I'm putting more variety in my combos. At first, I just spammed Izuna, now I mess up a bit more with aerials into OL techinques, or I simply shorten my aerials with vertical slashes to avoid being punished, especially if there are priests in proximity. Please suggest stylish and effective combos with all the weapons.

I'm doing the missions and I found them less difficult than before, but they are tough. But I like also because you can play them for few minutes if you don't have much time to spend in one session and want to keep yourself in shape. I wish I had more time to play this thing, I'm loving it. I suggest you don't get a girlfriend if you are a total beginner with this game, though... Please give ANY suggestion that can come across your mind, if you like. And also, give random comments about the game, why you like it, what you like most of it etc.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Happy New Year, Ninja_Noob.

Sounds like you are going to have to change your user name because it doesn't fit you any more. "Ninja_Warrior"....may be more suitable now.

There are several "easy" ways to beat some of these hard fights, like the Ryu Clone in the Archives, the priests, and the cats. After you beat some of these fights the hard way you don't necessarily want to do it on every run. Nowadays I usually take the easy way just to keep the progress flowing to the next chapter.

Ryu Clone in the Archive. Equip the Lunar. Run up to the third floor and wait on the ledge next to where you bird flip from the 2nd to the 3rd floor. Clone Ryu will follow you by bird flipping up the wall. When he gets level with the floor you are on do X, X, Y which will smack him back down to the 2nd floor. Rinse and Repeat until he is dead. Once you get the timing down this is quick and easy and painless.

Alma. Equip the Dragon Sword. You need to get her grounded where she is kneeling on the ground stunned. Once you get her there you can Blade of Nirriti her which takes off a quarter to a half of her life depending on the difficulty you are playing. To consistently get her into that state there are 4 things you can do...I think.
1) Get up against a wall, hold block and wait for her to do her swoop towards you. Just before she hits you roll then immediately press Y for about a second or so to do the strong Y. This will connect with her and quite often grounds her.
2) Same deal with the ground stomp. Roll when she hits the ground and do the Strong Y attack.
3) If you connect with a Flying Swallow she will be grounded. If you can Flying Swallow her just as she starts powering up to send purple orbs at you will usually get her. Timing is a little tight though. Otherwise just try to Flying Swallow her when it looks like a good time. If you miss the Flying Swallow do a shiruken cancel while you are still in the air and it will cancel your pesky recovery frames. Never Flying Swallow her when she gears up to send pillars at you...you will connect with the Flying Swallow but a pillar will smack you upside the head (happens every single time).
4)Inferno Ninpo will ground her if it connects.

Finally, I hardly use Ninpo in NGB. The game rewards you with a karma bonus at the end of every chapter based on how many ki slots you have filled. So if you are going for karma be sure to fill up your ki before the end of the chapter. However, if you don't care about karma..go for it. Ninpo gives Ryu a lot of invincibility frames and does damage to fiends when he does the whole charging arm movement for ninpo thing and this can be very helpful is some situations. I do use Ninpo if I have to, certain ninpo work better against certain fiends, it is helpful to use the right ninpo against the right fiend. Inazuma works REALLY well against lazer crabs, for example.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 am

Marsbar wrote:Happy New Year, Ninja_Noob.
Thanks, happy new year to you and all the guys here!!!

LOL at me changing my user name, I think "Noob" fits very well by now :D

I did the Ryu Clone trick in the archives, but used the nunchaku like TGD does. I'd like to beat him legit but didn't find a consistent way to do it. There is a vid on youtube I should study. Speaking of it, I find not much vids about NGB, I'd like to open a thread in this section to collect all useful vid stuff I find. Do you think it's worth to create a nicovideo account for NGB vids? Is the japanese scene alive?

New proogress: yesterday I beat Paz Zuu with VF and found new techniques to beat him, then fought the ice monster in the cavern with the Unlabored F. and Doku with VF. Beat Lava Dragon with Unlabored F. on the first try. LOL the UT of the UF are awesome.

During this last session I learn that I don't always have to block->roll AWAY from the opponent, if I do it towards it is better in some cases, mostly against the cats jumping attack, because the bounce back after you block, so if I roll towards I get a chance to hit them.

And LOL I read the manual for the first time, it says I can actually reset the game by holding start and select, I didn't know :D

Last question: I don't like reverse camera control, I can change this in the menu for the first person camera, but didn't find a way to do it on third person camera, is it possible to do?
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Clone Ryu is definitely challenging. When I beat him man to man I use the DS. There are a couple of his animations that leave him open to being Izuna Dropped which takes off a ton of his life. Once you get his life down to about 25% he will use Inferno ninpo on you....which you can roll through when you get the timing right. Some people light off Inferno themselves when Clone Ryu uses it.

Evidently, Clone Ryu can be stun locked if you use X, B on him. I saw a video once where Ryu got Clone Ryu into a corner then just X, B'd him until he died.

I always use the UF on the Lava Dragon. He is really hard and it takes forever using the other tried and true techniques.

Finally, we might be getting the old Vids from IberianWarrior which would probably have all the old NGB videos by Bigalski, Reim, JTB, et. al. Bigalski has volunteered to drive to his house and pick them up if he still has them...We will just have to see if that works out. :pray:
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 am

Marsbar wrote:Finally, we might be getting the old Vids from IberianWarrior which would probably have all the old NGB videos by Bigalski, Reim, JTB, et. al. Bigalski has volunteered to drive to his house and pick them up if he still has them...We will just have to see if that works out
This sounds awesome. You guys from NG scene are the best!!!!! Thanks Bigalski!

Hey Marsbar, I'm going to be repetitive but I owe to you a BIG thank you for your support, especially in the beginning. I picked NG games many times without any success, but thanks to you I actually started to understand the basic, and it let me to appreciate the games, which is a great thing. As you said, it is not the kind of game you are going to learn easily if you try to learn completely by yourself. Well, I actually have found some footage of people that get to Master Ninja difficulty without actually knowing things like on landing techniques or windpath, but the way these guys play the game is actually horrible, and I don't know how they can actually earn fun from the experience.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm glad that you are enjoying the game more. Sounds to me like you are well on your way to beating Master Ninja. :thumb:

Be sure to let us know if you are having difficulty beating any specific encounters or bosses. Sometimes there are "safe spots" in the environment or a specific technique that can really help.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:00 pm

What really piss me off in this game is Awakened Alma, to be honest. It is because I really can avoid every single attack she can pull off, but can't really hit her consistently. So I have to wait her charge and do the lamest tactic ever: Y*2
...and I actually can't pull this out correctly, often I end up damaging her with the first Y instead of just making her block the first attack and then knocking her over with a second Y

I'm used to those easy mainstream games in which once you learn to dodge pesky boss attack you can punish with severe combos, and the inability to do this feels like coitus interruptus to me, but anyways, it is plenty of bosses in this game that you can punish in an old fashioned manner.

Beat the Dark Disciple on hard today: not the hardest boss of the game in my opinion, but I still got hit many times in the process, the fact is that he is not that hard, so you basically win against him in a few tries if you use some healings, and so you don't practice against him a lot. Next time I get to him I should try to fight without elixirs.

Now, onto very hard :kungfu:
iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by iraqoz » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Very nice man...There is big jump in Difficulty from H to VH. Iam sure you will love it :)

IMO Alma is harder than her awakened form, or let me say it in other words. The arena you fighting Alma make it harder than Awakend Alma where you have plenty of space so the camera wont screw you up. Iam not the best person to give you advices on the bosses of NGS/NGB but from my experience she is very vulnerable to the flying swallow when she charge her bullet/projectile.....if you quick you can FS her while charging or you can dodge it and quickly FS. works most of the time for me.
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Regarding clone ryu, There isn't shame to not beating him 'legit'. After you play the thing billions of times on MN mode, the AI is controller reading you constantly and doing safe attacks, so it really becomes a matter of how cheap you want to be, how much you want to exploit the AI.

Honestly think about it like this: Most enemies in an AI driven action game let you win on some level, if the AI was programmed to not let you win, that's what would happen. IE: Berserkers would constantly spam firepit and fireball offscreen, awakened alma would never charge you, IS ninja would coordinate safe guardbreaks and projectiles instead of using head on attacks that are easily countered, etc. Clone ryu definitely would beat you, and spam only safe moves, and through controller reading I bet it would be close to impossible, if it was programmed that way.

After you figure this out, then the question is how much do you really want to mess with it. I guess I just found that, even fighting MN clone ryu on the floor of the archives repeatedly, I would find myself finding more exploits that the AI would fall for. It's not much different than the lunar cliff trap, or the izuna cliff trap for that matter (Jump straight up when he bird flips, x,x,x,Y, bird flip back up, repeat) it's just a bit harder to pull off.

For something fun though, you can repeatedly izuna the clone off the top story. Bird flip up to the third floor near the cliff, and then roll towards the wooden railing that is closest to the opposite end, and just sit there. The clone will bird flip up, and do an on landing semi-charged Y, leaving him vulnerable to be izuna'd, straight off the railing. Go back all the way up and repeat.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 am

The temptation to look cool like a pro and say that this game has a superb targeting system is very strong, but I won't try to look cool: I'll just say that I understand the system but simply can't use it to my advantage. It is supposed that Ryu will face and attack the closest attacking enemy. So I evade enemy attack, X+A, wind path, OL roll into what should be a safe combo on the stunned foe, but I simply end up targeting the other enemy because he is attacking me; sometimes I actually hit him, but other times I end up missing both enemies. I read in the faq that I can actually attack the enemy I want by just pointing the left stick toward it, but when I'm in the most dangerous situations it never works, or I simply don't do it because I don't expect another enemy to approach, and Ryu just cut through the air and is punished. Well, at least, I feel comfortable with the camera, it actually works well if you adjust to it in my opinion, and it is a good thing, but this is true for the whole playthrough except for the first chapter...
iraqoz wrote:There is big jump in Difficulty from H to VH. Iam sure you will love it
Actually I'm hatin :D
I don't know why I always feel the first chapter is the most awkward and hard of the whole playthrough on every difficulty setting. Fighting ninjas in small rooms and corridors is actually fighting walls and camera. And those new enmies, the ninjas with the windmill shuriken and the cool bluish outfit: they are cool IMO but I admit I curse A LOT while I fight them. So, I'm studying a run from a player called Josiahkf, he looks solid and skilled to me, but I cannot seriously judge this from my experience level, here is the YT link:

Ok from what I understood, it seems I can safley attack the white ninjas in the recovery of their roll. Against the windmill ninjas, I niticed he has two safe ways to land a combo:

1) after simply blocking their combos. Yes, plain and simple, I haven't tried it yet but it seems to work for him...

2)after connecting a charged Y attack (base charge, not UT). He do this in the corridor after the first crow, he WP on the windmill ninja, shuriken in the air, on landing Y and then he initiate an X,Y combo that seems to connect safely.

Another cool trick that seem to work in his run, is charging an UT after the windmill ninja blocks a ground launched shuriken, even at close range. He throws the shuriken at very close range, the foe blocks it, and he immediately start to charge UT, and release it immediately after absorbing the essence, and it seems that during all those frames the foe cannot actually attack, like he was yet in blockstun. If it works everytime is very cool.

But guys, in all other instances he seems to throw random slashes and actually he's hitting enemies most of the times, or actually missing them without being punished as he KNEW they wouldn't punish him if he missed... at 2:05 he actually rolls away and start a X,Y combo that hit a white ninja that was OFF CAMERA, and again it is like he was sure that that anemy was there idling and facing the wall...
Kazama Jin wrote:I guess I just found that, even fighting MN clone ryu on the floor of the archives repeatedly, I would find myself finding more exploits that the AI would fall for. It's not much different than the lunar cliff trap
Well I'll take this in account while fighting him again, but I'm curious about these AI exploits during a ground fight, so I think I'll mess up a little bit with him next time. I wonder why his Dragon Sword form is so much harder that the UF or VF forms, at least in Hard mode.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:15 am

Ninja Noob wrote: But guys, in all other instances he seems to throw random slashes and actually he's hitting enemies most of the times, or actually missing them without being punished as he KNEW they wouldn't punish him if he missed... at 2:05 he actually rolls away and start a X,Y combo that hit a white ninja that was OFF CAMERA, and again it is like he was sure that that anemy was there idling and facing the wall...
I didn't watch the video yet, but by the time you beat MN, you'll be doing the same thing in terms of knowing things without seeing them, and knowing when you can get away with something a little unsafe. :smile:

That's what I was mentioning before, about awareness and anticipation- when you've played enough to get your instincts tuned to the game, you will kinda know where the enemies are and what they're probably doing even if you can't see them. I would think other players here would back me up on this "ninja sense"... I'm not a pro gamer AT ALL but when I get in the habit of playing NG a good amount you can just 'feel' the enemies. :ninjacool:
Kazama Jin
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Kazama Jin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 am

not at all harder than the VF form at high levels in my opinion. He spam throws the X~Y VF throw, it's crazy cheap at times..The sigma+ nunchaku survival time mission against the VF clone is one of the most frustrating things I've ever played having to do with the NGB system. I was shocked that something could be that not fun and be associated with NGB in any way shape or form. You basically have nunchaku only, and have to run away from the VF clone for however many seconds while he tries to spam wall jumps, ninpo, or the X~Y lock throw. Some of the most flamboyantly stupid development decisions I've recently witnessed, those sigma+ added missions. :T

What you may try to do to improve at the game is just not thinking quite as much when you are first starting out. Alot of what improves your skills is the analyzing like you are doing, but also just throwing yourself into stuff and letting your mind naturally figure it out.

I take that back somewhat, everybody seems to learn differently. So if it helps to analyze and study things, then do it, if you are having success applying it.

But alot of what improved my skills is just trial and error, then taking a break from the game and letting my brain sleep on it. When I returned to it the next day I seemed to have improved, after a while of doing that I naturally understood all of the stuff you can punish/timing/what works/doesn't work/etc without studying other playthroughs. So if it helps to study vids, keep doing it, but if you feel like you're overthinking things, it may help to just let yourself flow and see what happens.

Edit: I just saw MG's post. It's exactly what I'm talking about as well - when you play enough you just get an extra sense of where stuff is, and what to do about it. It'll happen, just keep at it.
iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by iraqoz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 am

Yea agree with MG about the ninja sense. Your timing, enemy's approach, reflexes will be improved with the time you spend with the game. I also recommend watching other players videos....by watching others style you will then gather alot of tactics, hints, tips and by implement them in your gameplay you will automatically develop your own style and will reach higher levels that you dont need to watch other videos anymore, but make new videos to others to watch :biggrin:.....that ofcourse depend on your passion for this game.....and I can already feel that you are very passionate about this game, the fact that you will discover new tactics to Fiend Ryu is a good proof of that.

I watched the video....its a good gameplay, thou he dont use windpath which is very important move to use IMO. He could beat Murai safetly without using the wall, by just XYY everytime he roll or after his multiple dashes. Otherwise a good gameplay.