Started playing this again.

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: Started playing this again.

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:17 am

ShreddyBobby wrote:In my best run against AA I used 1 ToR, so looks like I failed the challenge. She grabbed me once, which kills you when you have not upgraded your health. You guys know what she can be like, super high damage and always blocking/dodging.
If you can dodge her projectiles well you could always try to stay away until she goes to ground and then use the ET -> down method (which I could never do properly :facepalm2: )?

Were you trying to use FS against her? What attack was getting you?

PS - If you're just totally past this, my bad.... I just feel like you could probably do it. If past, good luck with ye olde ghostfish + Doku. :ninjabow:
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:26 am

I'm past it. but thanks for the advice. :D
I used the FS and the standing Y (straight slash?) to hit her. The majority of the time she would dodge or block my attacks, and other times she would grab me in my recovery frames. The throw is a ohe hit kill because I have not upgraded my health.
My ToR revived me when she grabbed me, it was the best fight I ever had against her.
I'm really good at dodging the projectiles, the throw is the only thing that gets me. Once she grabbed me when I was behind her!
I'll take the hit, she is a crazy boss at the best of times. Looks like it is a one item and no ninpo run now. :P

I beat Doku and his Ghostfish last night before I went to bed, it wasn't as hard as I had thought.

edit: Just tried The Core, made it to the third level and I was doing pretty well. Until a Laser Crab grabbed me and dragged me down to the second floor. I had no idea they could do that!
I'll try it again later in the evening.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:17 pm

I forgot I had to 3 fight bosses in a row when you go up against Marbus...
The first two suck ass, but Hydrocubus always hits me once or twice.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Beat Marbus and friends, no items or ninpo used :D
Then I got fed up of the challenge and just went on to beat The Emporer and DD. Used ten LotTG and 16 LoG, had a huge health bar and 4 ki slots. Beat up everybody no sweat.
Cool challenge, might try finish it someday, but right now I just want to play hard.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 pm

On hard mode now. Dear Lord I hate Dynamo.
The two things that get me are his lasers and his ability to block UTs which he follows up with a throw. I almost had him beaten, just a sliver of health remaining, then he blocks a UT and grabs me. I'll try again tomorrow.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:05 pm

I've always had a problem with Dynamo. That's where Firewheels come in handy.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 pm

The best way to fight Dynamo, far as I can tell, is you have to get right in his face, dodge his grabs, then hit him with XY OLY. Add firewheels and his health really comes down quickly. At distance his raygun is challenging to avoid. If you add minions to the mix it gets even harder.

I always have a tough time beating him. Usually have to use most, if not all, my items.
ShreddyBobby
Ninja Gaiden 2
Ninja Gaiden 2

Post by ShreddyBobby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:03 pm

I beat Dynamo but I have started playing Darksiders 2, so that is taking up my game time now. :D
WB everybody!
:thumb:
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:49 am

New player here. When I started playing NG2 two years ago, and NGBlack months ago, I simply gave up in frustration/boredom because I didn't really use the most important techniques the system gives you. This is probably why people says this game is cheap, they simply don't know how to play it. Now I'm more acknowledged, and I'm going through the game without too much problems on normal. I'm currently on chapter 15 at the castle entrance. I didn't use the Lunar for the entire playthrough because I wanted to experiment how the original NG was. Today I tried it against the scarabs and his UT are very strong.

I don't know if I need advices by now since Marsbar and MurphysGhost gave me so many tips on GFaqs, but if you want to give random suggestions you are welcome. For example, witch weapon to use in witch situation. I find Lunar useful against crowds in little rooms. Dabilharo is good against the "red dinosaurs" (are they called "fiends"? I thought any monster in the game was "a fiend"). I didn't find a good use for the Flails other than fight fishes, but I'm sure I'm wrong because people says they are amazing, probably I should watch video walkthroughs (I actually wathced, but just the first chapters). Also, a "witch boss witch weapon" list would be much appreciated.

In the end, sorry for my english, I know it has flaws :D
iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by iraqoz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Welcome to the site man, hope you'll enjoy your stay :thumb:

Since you are new to the series, or maybe just not much experienced in them, I recommend you focus on the basics for now...like:

- know your enemies pattern or in other word be friend with them :smile:
- Control your defence......block, dash, block-dash (reverse wind), A+B (and Y when you are above an enemy)

When you master/become good at those basics then it doesnt matter which weapon you use, thou you will automatically develop your own style.

And yes YOU WRONG people say its (Flail) amazing then ITS AMAZING lol :D

Welome again :thumb:
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks Iraqoz! It is cool that you are the first person to reply me because I'm a fan of your NG2 no-UT no-Ninpo run, I like it so much and I'm following the tread updates. Do you plan to do a similar run on Black also?
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 pm

The flalils in NGB are very good. Try Flying Swallow then hit Y when Ryu hits the ground. If there is essence laying around Ryu does the flying swallow into a UT. Such a good move. The Flails are my go to weapon for the Berserkers and the Ogres!!

Flails in NG2....Meh. They are Ok. The UT is cool, but my thumbs get tired hitting X to get the extra two moves out.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:08 pm

If you upgrade the wooden sword completely, it becomes the Unlabored Flawlessness. This weapon kicks all kinds of ass. At very low health, it is a OHK for most enemies, and strips life off of Bosses. For the fish, use the VF. XX- jump X (in air) and repeat. Use ninpo a lot when in this level, the fish readily replenish your meter. Firewheels is so effective against the first two bosses at the top. The TDS 360 UT is also very effective.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Ninja Noob wrote: Dabilharo is good against the "red dinosaurs" (are they called "fiends"? I thought any monster in the game was "a fiend"). I didn't find a good use for the Flails other than fight fishes, but I'm sure I'm wrong because people says they are amazing, probably I should watch video walkthroughs (I actually wathced, but just the first chapters). Also, a "witch boss witch weapon" list would be much appreciated.
Weapon really depends on the boss, though in a lot of cases if you find a good opening / recovery time to exploit after one of the boss' attacks, any weapon can do the trick.

The Dabilahro's XXXXY and XXXXXY combos are really strong. For enemies like the Red Dinos and Ogres (big green troll-looking things with the staffs, that can turn red and enraged ifyou break their mask), this combo is really nice. The UF with low health will also really demolish them.

For the worm mini-bosses, the Dabilahro UT is pretty much perfect.

The ->Y move from the Dabi is also really good.

The Flails are kinda similar to the Dragon Sword moveset but a little faster and a little less reach. They're really good for fighting the smaller, nimble imp fiends and human enemies. (BTW all the monsters in NG, pretty much, are called fiends. The ones that can talk / have intelligence are Greater Fiends.) The -> YYY combo, especially if you equip the Armlet of Potency, is very strong. Recommended against Doku after he misses his sword dash.

In NG2 they lack power against bosses and non-delimbable enemies, but on anything else they're awesome. Very very fast and high delimb rate on almost all of its animations.
iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by iraqoz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Ninja Noob wrote:Thanks Iraqoz! It is cool that you are the first person to reply me because I'm a fan of your NG2 no-UT no-Ninpo run, I like it so much and I'm following the tread updates. Do you plan to do a similar run on Black also?
Glad you like it bro :thumb: :sunnyd:
Just to mentioned its NGS2 and not NG2. I plan first on finish my runs on NGS1(very similar to NGB if its not the same game..), but one thing for sure I MUST play NGB and I'll see by the time if I can be able to beat it no, no ,no..... The problem with NGS/NGB/NG2 is that they are alot harder because there are Fiends challenges/Test of valors, BUT I dont think its mission impossible. I can make it easier and exclude those challenges and only concentrate on story mode, but......I wont be satisfied to be honest with you, so I have to experiment with it and definitely try it out :thumb:
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 pm

What the heck is a worm mini boss?? Can't for the life of me remember which fiend this is. Got it...You guys are talking about Hydracubis who is a full boss...not a mini boss. Though he is pretty easy when you know what to do.

What are those Red dinos called again....I want to say Gala....but I don't think that is right. Anyway windpath off his head then hit him with a >Y with the Dabi when he turns around, Repeat. You can also hit him with the X, X, X, X, Y instead of the >Y. There are several really good ways to take on these guys. I find the Dragon Sword Blade of Niriti works well. Keystrokes are the same as the Izuna Drop, just that Ryu can't get the dino up into the air. Safest to lead off using the windpath

Soldiers and troopers aren't considered fiends.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 am

IT'S A GIANT WORM!!! :awesome:

(Skip to about 1:40 to see the worms I was talking about. They're pretty forgettable, true.)

The UF sure does terrible things to those worms. :surprise:
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Holy Crap! Thanks Murphy. I remember now. The one in the Water Tunnel and the two in the cavern and the one in the Lava room.. :facepalm: Man my memory really is bad and getting worse every day. I guess I got confused because we were talking about Red Dinos which are right before Hydracubis and he/she is the only "wormy" thing I could think of.

I'm at the boss on DMC3 Hard...Probably wont do DMD. Maybe after I beat DMC3 hard, I'll do a NGB MN run for fun. Would definitely help me answer Ninja Noob's questions better.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Ok, normal cleared, started hard, it is, well, hard. I'm curious to fight the new enemies...
Well normal wasn't that difficult in the end, it's just a matter of learning the system and it become more enjoyable. But there were some moment I didn't enjoy, like magma caves and labyrith, I find them boring, and the swimming chapter I'd like to skip if it was possible. But the rest was cool, this game is all about combat.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:55 pm

From GameFAQS boards:
Marsbar wrote:X+A, A, combo of your choice. Note you never have to release block during that whole process
If I press X+A while blocking, Ryu doesn't jump, am I missing something or it was just a mistake?
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:11 am

Ninja Noob wrote:
Marsbar wrote:X+A, A, combo of your choice. Note you never have to release block during that whole process
If I press X+A while blocking, Ryu doesn't jump, am I missing something or it was just a mistake?

He may be thinking of NG2, where I believe you can windrun -> windpath out of a blocking stance.

A lot of NG players talk about holding block during other actions, but I don't really know the particulars of that- it was never my style. I mostly only hold block when I see something I need to block. (Though my finger is constantly on the trigger for roll-jumping /dash-jumping in NG2.)
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Roll first, then you can windpath. You can also do a FS or OL Y/X all while holding block.
iraqoz
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by iraqoz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Agree with reim, you have to roll/dash first. And Also I have same style as Murphy Ghost, its easier IMO to release the block-botton after the dash/roll before hitting X+A. In theory you should do it no problem even while holding the block, but it become less responsive after my experience and also the risk that you press X before A and ryu standing there countering the air and you get punished severly LOL.....I swear I dont know how many times I was so close to smash my window with the controller because of that.
Last edited by iraqoz on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Yeah, even in NG2 (or especially in NG2), most of the time I was pressing block. If you watch my fighting style is was usually a dash-wind path-attack.
Marsbar
Black Spider Ninja
Black Spider Ninja

Post by Marsbar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:10 pm

I can always count on you guys to cover my back when I give out slightly misleading info. :whistle2:

So much of this stuff in muscle memory for me that I sometimes forget specifics (important ones) when I try to describe it for new players. :kungfu: