Ninja Gaiden Black Redux- Your Ideas

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Ninja Gaiden Black Redux- Your Ideas

Post by magx » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:53 pm

If you could be in charge of a new version of Ninja Gaiden Black, what would you have done to it?

For me, off of the top of my head (I say this because if I spent time to seriously think this through I am sure I would change some aspects of it/add things), I would do the following:

-Redo the visuals to today's standards (not that the game looks bad!). Who wouldn't love to see what this game looked like with 2012 'AAA' tier visuals? Of course, original graphics would be available as an option (maybe they could even do the Halo Anniversary real time swap thing).

-Rework the swimming chapter to either remove the swimming sections completely, or just shorten them significantly (probably remove, and then just extend the preceding and following chapters) and tighten the mechanics. Maybe let you water run through it where possible. Would help with that pre-Alma fight swim section, especially on restarts.

-Several new weapons and enemy types, but ONLY if gameplay and difficulty balance is maintained

-I know this is going to be blasphemous to many of you (it even sort of is to me and it is my idea), but I would tweak the difficulties a bit (I know, I'm a heretic!). Ninja Dog would be an option from the start, made a bit easier (perhaps simply by lowering the number of onscreen enemies) and it would be renamed Easy/Casual. Gotta have some concessions for newbies somewhere, right? I mean, like it or not, it's a new era. Anyways, I digress. Hard would be toughened up a bit. I've always thought it was too easy, and I think most of you would agree. Very Hard would be toned down a tad. It's not "too hard" for most of us, obviously, but I think the jump from Normal to Hard was too small and the jump from Hard to Very Hard was a bit too jarring and lessened the impact of Master Ninja. Speaking of Master Ninja, if I haven't already, this is where I'm probably going to lose you guys (lol). See, in my hypothetical game, Master Ninja would be split into a three tiered difficulty- you finish it once at its default settings, and then the game offers you a choice: Stop now and be content with being a Master Ninja, or press on for another challenge. If you choose the latter, the game restarts right away (a la Super Mario Bros. round 2/remix or w/e they called it on the NES) from Chapter 1. This is default Master Ninja. No changes to enemy health, tactics, placement, etc. What's the catch you ask? Oh, original life bar (OLB) and limited Ninpo usage (three uses per chapter, perhaps?). This could be called Master Ninja v2.0 or something. After completing this, the game asks you if you'd like to tackle one last challenge: (Master Ninja 3.0 or w/e). It's Master Ninja difficulty on successive play/new game plus (yay, lv. 3 Lunar in Chapter 1!). Why, that's easier you say! Maximum health bar, Ninpo slots and level 3 weapons? wtf! Well, here's the catch: There's a save limit (think Dead Space 2's Hardcore mode). Pick your save spots wisely, because you only get 3 for the whole game!

-Achievements/trophies. Good ones, too, not just "beat this chapter, clear the game, find all scarabs, etc." Clear the game without using Ninpo, OLB runs, clearing chapters within certain time limits, karma achievements (getting a certain number of karma bonuses, etc), combo achievements, puzzle completion times, uninterrupted UT chains, essence drag distance length, no hit boss fights/chapters, weapon specific achievements, mission mode achievements, etc.

-New missions in mission mode, including SURVIVAL ones! (one of the things Sigma did do right)

-You guys are going to HATE me for this, but (and maybe at least only on higher difficulties) ghost fish changes/additions: Ghost fish in every chapter.Mmetallic ghost fish that need to have their exterior broken before they can be killed, and these ghost fish have a one hit kill attack. Ghost fish as minions for every boss fight on Master Ninja, and even an added gigantic Giant Ghost fish boss that shoots regular ghost fish and has a one hit kill bite attaxk

Just kidding about the ghost fish. Maybe.

;)

-Online multilayer. Limited to 4 players maximum, however. Both single battles and team based. No 16 player confusing spamfests. 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 (maybe 2 vs 1 and 3 vs 1 for brave souls, aka most of you psychos here!) for a methodical, measured experience, just like the campaign.

-Last one for now, because I don't feel well and I am having a difficult time thinking clearly: Counter ops mode. Think Perfect Dark N64. For the uninitiated: You play through the campaign, but online, because other people play as the AI that you encounter during the game! It's a totally awesome gametype that for whatever reason never really caught on in gaming.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Re: Ninja Gaiden Black Redux- Your Ideas

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:03 pm

magx wrote:If you could be in charge of a new version of Ninja Gaiden Black, what would you have done to it?
Touch up the graphics, put in new game+ and successive play, add the Intercept + HP scoring as an unlock for clearing VH or MN.

Remove the UT auto-charge ability.

Add ninja cinema.

Aaand that's about it for me. :think:

Edit: Oh yeah, continue at the start of boss fights like in NG2.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:24 pm

There's not much I would change. The game is pretty much as good as gaming gets, and making any changes risks unbalancing or sigma-ising (?) it. But, I would definitely like trophies/achievements, and I like your idea of having more interesting ones instead of the standard 'finish a chapter' trophies you usually get.

I would like a decent chapter challenge as well. Take out all the cutscenes and give us the option of selecting weapons and enemy types. Maybe have handicapped challenges as well, like OLB and no UTs.

Of course, the scoring would have to be overhauled. It's always been NG's weakest link. I have no ideas how to do this, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with something better than what's already in place.

Other than that, just having NGB in proper HD with trophies would be enough to make me happy. :D
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants
Location: British Headquarters of The International Dojo of Ninjas

Post by Luckrequired » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:26 pm

More Rachel. Less leather.
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm

:naughty:
stqueirolo
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

Post by stqueirolo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Luckrequired wrote:More Rachel. Less leather.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants

Post by Luckrequired » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Well, not Bayonetta levels but close to would be nice.

Oh. And Joe Hayabusa as playable character.
mickstupp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mickstupp » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Make it shiny. Chapter select. Scoreboards per chapter and weapon. Achievements/trophies.

But basically just make it look lovely. Wouldn't have any of the mechanics changed. No additional levels or characters or anything. Just make it shiny. And a plasma sword.

Oh! And have that lazyassed developer keep an eye on the leaderboards for cheats, kick them straight away and patch the bits they were taking advantage of. Responsibility to the game shouldn't end with it shipping.

I'd pay full price for a nice polished up NGB.
Ylva
Global Moderator

Post by Ylva » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:46 am

NEW GAME +
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants

Post by Luckrequired » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Mickstupp wrote:Make it shiny
Wrap cling film around TV?

How dare thou dismiss my playable character idea!

We need a hero,
Go ninja Joe. Go!
Stock up on marshmallows,
Go save that hoe,
Go ninja Joe! :sunnyd:
mickstupp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mickstupp » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Less hoes
Mo foes
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants

Post by Luckrequired » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 am

Oh no!
Say it ain't so?
So much woe. :-(
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Definitely achievements/trophies that are fun to do. There could also be minor changes like adding a new leaderboards like in NGS . It would have be detailed like NGS and should be monitored to remove cheaters. A co-op survival mode would also be good.
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by magx » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Dark Hazuki wrote: :naughty:
Hahahaha.
JTB123
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Post by JTB123 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:48 pm

- New game plus
- More eternal legend type missions and more missions in general
- Survival
- Boss Survival
- Boss Run Mode

If only there had been a PC version of NGB, we could go crazy with mods.
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by magx » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:06 am

JTB123 wrote:- New game plus
If only there had been a PC version of NGB, we could go crazy with mods.
Oh, how dare you lol

I had never considered this, but now I'll forever lament its absence :(
Luckrequired
Ninja Lucky Pants
Ninja Lucky Pants

Post by Luckrequired » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Yes, just think of all the potential skin mods. :hmm:
Patrask
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by Patrask » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:27 pm

Off the top of my head;

- Tone down VH. "If you can beat VH, you can beat MN" should never have been true.

- Fix a few areas and savepoint placements. (The elevator area before Alma in chapter 7 comes to mind.)

- Trophies/Achievements. 'Beat the game with no ninpo', 'Kill Awakened Alma with the Spear Gun', etc.

- Remove UT auto-charge, or nerf it so you can only charge ET's.

- HP1 scoring (with Intercept of course).
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by magx » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:06 am

Patrask wrote:Off the top of my head;

- Tone down VH. "If you can beat VH, you can beat MN" should never have been true.

- Fix a few areas and savepoint placements. (The elevator area before Alma in chapter 7 comes to mind.)

- Trophies/Achievements. 'Beat the game with no ninpo', 'Kill Awakened Alma with the Spear Gun', etc.

- Remove UT auto-charge, or nerf it so you can only charge ET's.

- HP1 scoring (with Intercept of course).
We're in agreement when it comes to Very Hard it seems :) Well, most of what was said, but the VH thing was the one that I suspected would be the most controversial.
Ninja Noob
Vigoorian Berserker
Vigoorian Berserker

Post by Ninja Noob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 am

Just a thought: it woul'd be cool if you could disable UT's via menu, in a way that you can still do the Y charged attack, but only base level, without triggering the actual UT or absorbing essence. So you can play no UT style, but actually use the Y attack in combos (on landing for ex.) or as a direct attack, without triggering UT's. So if you are playing a no UT run and press OL Y accidentally, you are not screwed, I think freestylers would like it :)
XNinjaRed
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by XNinjaRed » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:11 am

How about in successive play you get the option from Muramasa to upgrade the weapons to Ninja Gaiden II weapons.
People who prefer Ninja Gaiden Black's combo list would just not upgrade to it, and people who prefer Ninja Gaiden II's combo list would have something to buy in successive play.
Also have a scroll for Obliterations Techniques be buyable in successive play so that the player can completely go Ninja Gaiden II gameplay if they want.
Murphy's Ghost
Dark Dragon Incarnate
Dark Dragon Incarnate

Post by Murphy's Ghost » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Ninja Noob wrote:Just a thought: it woul'd be cool if you could disable UT's via menu
I wouldn't mind that.

A cheat / options menu that modified different stuff, something like the skulls in Halo games, I suppose, could be very cool in an NG game. If they spent enough time working on it, they could even be incorporated into the scoring system as point modifiers.
magx
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by magx » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Murphy's Ghost wrote:
Ninja Noob wrote:Just a thought: it woul'd be cool if you could disable UT's via menu
I wouldn't mind that.

A cheat / options menu that modified different stuff, something like the skulls in Halo games, I suppose, could be very cool in an NG game. If they spent enough time working on it, they could even be incorporated into the scoring system as point modifiers.
Ohhh, skulls type thing (in game modifiers) in NGB....nice.
vmd50
Archfiend
Archfiend

Post by vmd50 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:40 am

It was changed in sigma, but to make the camera mode stay changed after you save. That one is minor but i think it's kind of important. Outside of that, i cant think of anything that hasn't been mentioned already