Master Ninja - DS only, no UT, no Ninpo, no Healing, no Izuna Drop, no Fun

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Master Ninja - DS only, no UT, no Ninpo, no Healing, no Izuna Drop, no Fun

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:48 am

The infamous 'No Fun Challenge'... It is finally over...

All fiend challenges except for the great bridge and stadium have been done in the run...
i think the stadium challenge would have been quite easy, but just too tedious for me.
and the great bridge - well - i didnt even bother... the Ariochs ruin it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... X7bKuSgh1m

i must thank u again, unwary... for the capture card u gave me, AND for your videos that were not only a great help, but a reminder that it can be done...
so thank u, i dont think i could have done this without u...
Bigalski
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Master Ninja - DS only, no UT, no Ninpo, no Healing, no Izuna Drop, no Fun

Post by Bigalski » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:41 am

Great job. I know that's something I'd never try but kudos to you for sticking with it.

Yes I'm a little late replying....but better late than never!!
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:23 am

haha thx mate, appreciated ;-)
yeah it was pretty rough and i almost gave up on it...
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by d_Nought » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:19 am

Anyone who's done this challenge or something similar got any insight into what makes IS/Vigoorian ninjas set up their grab? I haven't played NGB *too* much and this is one thing I don't really get, but it's really getting to me right now. From what I've seen so far they usually do it from a roll, wakeup or in response to a bad Helm Splitter, but I don't really understand how to play around it.
MasonVank
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by MasonVank » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:55 am

Normally they'll roll before they go for their grab. Sometimes they can just jump right at you with the grab but that's incredibly rare.
Farnham The Drunk
Flawless Ninja
Flawless Ninja

Post by Farnham The Drunk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:21 pm

imo its totally random... standing there and holding block increases the chance of a grab as far as i can tell.... the best solution to this that i found is always roll once if u get attacked to dodge a potential grab, and if it is not a grab, counter the 3rd to 4th hit... and ofc avoid all attacks with recovery, like wall attacks or blade of nirrti...
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by d_Nought » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:34 pm

Been playing this on and off. Got chapter 6 out of the way, time for the ground floor archive challenge.

Anyone got any pro tips for the cat fiends? I had a go on my level 2 DS mid-chapter 6 practice save, I didn't really have a handle on avoiding their flying swallow. Also it seems like it's easiest to maintain the composition at 2x red guys 1x cat. Having strictly no wall attacks makes it a lot harder to deal with incendiaries too, since you can't just throw out wind paths in that fight.
MasonVank
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by MasonVank » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:38 pm

Are you letting yourself use smoke bombs in the challenge? If so, they are useful for disabling the cat fiends' dodging. Cat fiends love to target you when you're in the air so try and stay grounded whenever you can. You can counter the second hit of their basic swipe attack, every other attack breaks your guard. You can just block their flying swallow, but you can also just roll right into it or to the side of it to dodge. You can cancel the guard break's recovery by rolling, and most of the time you can follow up with a quick string afterwards. Always be holding down block when you aren't attacking.

You can roll through the incendiary explosion at the right time and iframe through it but the timing on that is strict. Guillotine throw is also pretty nice for getting iframes, but going for it is risky since the best way to set up a guillotine throw is through wind path.

These aren't the greatest tips ever, but I hope I helped nonetheless.
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by d_Nought » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Made it to 102 kills then died from help splitter interrupted by cat fiend swipe attack

What a grind

:banghead:

Anyway, I think I've got the feel for it now, at least if I keep the composition mostly to 2 reds 1 cat. I think one of the things I wasn't good at at first was dealing with the cat-fiends' guard break attack, but now it's dealing with the red guys doing incendiary shuriken shit. I think the biggest jump for me was to almost completely stop using wind path, since both cat fiends and red guys can just dodge it and it doesn't have as much iframes in NG2 (according to Farnham).

One of the more exciting/dangerous things is when you accidentally switch the composition to two cats, which I've noticed directly or indirectly caused a lot of deaths for me. I find that's really when choosing your moment becomes the most important, you have to wait for both of them to be in non-FS state, but you can't wait too long otherwise some BS is gonna happen.

Just off the top of my head, some of the things to look out for that may or may not have been mentioned elsewhere:
- Getting out of NG2 mode and not just randomly trying to attack people, especially when cat fiends are in neutral
- Trying only to roll or jump when cat fiends are in recovery or in some state where they won't FS. This becomes especially hectic when you are surrounded and you have to get out, but still have to pick the right moment.
- Looking out for when the red guys just run up to you and spam grabs (specifically, sometimes they sprint at you and do 2 or 3 grabs in a row).
- Being aware of jumps and the distance for which accidental wall clings are a possibility.
- Having a sort of sixth sense for when the red guys will throw an IS, especially when the cat is in recovery.
- Really getting used to using direction input as much as possible to try and override Ryu's low IQ auto targeting (doesn't prioritize downed enemies EXCEPT when they are dead and about to dissolve. Seriously what is this guy's major malfunction).
- In general, trying to dodge the cat fiends regular attacks but block/roll cancel their FS.
- As annoying as it is, keeping the red guys in ranged mode or at least getting them out of mega aggro mode
- Early on I liked to go for level 0 Gleaming Blade when getting a double or triple down but I don't think I'm good enough yet to play super cavalier with the composition.
MasonVank
Wasp Fiend
Wasp Fiend

Post by MasonVank » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:07 am

Wow, that's the worst. Almost making it to the end of a long and really hard challenge and dying because of some random BS. Hopefully your Xbox won't crash on your way to save after the challenge is done :facepalm2:

Are you getting the run on video?
d_Nought
Pillbug
Pillbug

Post by d_Nought » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:56 am

Can't be any worse than Karma Running :P

And yeah I've recorded it but I'm not going full speed on it. Getting the Ground Floor Archive Challenge, Red/Blue Hydracubus gauntlet and Alma out of the way would be enough to convince myself to really commit to finishing the run. Farnham told me some of the future fun parts include chapter 10 laser crabs, Alma encounters and Marbus.