Is the ingame timer slower than real time?

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

unwary
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Is the ingame timer slower than real time?

Post by unwary » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:13 am

I was watching back some of my practice runs with livesplit trying to see what methods were faster. But I noticed the seconds timer on livesplit was ever so slowly incrementing faster than the karma timer when I was watching my fights.

So I recorded 30min of the stadium challenge timer and put an onscreen timer for comparison. Then I grabbed one of jtb's archive challenge videos and put a timer on that too. On both the real time tracker was faster than the ingame timer on both versions of ngb (ntsc and pal).

*Edit: Also did the timer test for original xbox on MN archive challenge. Timer starts at 2800.

Image of the timers in question
Spoiler:
Image Image Image
I'm busy uploading the videos that I made with the timers on them, it'll be up tomorrow.

Was this an issue that was posted about a long time ago in Iberian's realm?

xbox one x

xbox 360

original xbox
Last edited by unwary on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
JTB123
Incendiary Ninja
Incendiary Ninja

Re: Is the ingame timer slower than real time?

Post by JTB123 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 am

I don't think this was ever compared back then as stuff like splitters weren't around but it is odd. So over the course of 30 minutes the berserker timer was 1.85 seconds out and the AC timer was .226 seconds out? It's odd that the range would be so high.

Maybe the NG timer is in fact "real time" and the rest of the world have been living a lie this whole time lol
unwary
Lesser Imp Fiend
Lesser Imp Fiend

Re: Is the ingame timer slower than real time?

Post by unwary » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am

I'll do a timer comparison for original xbox. So far both tests were done based on the backwards compatibility emulator.

Edit: Went back and did the timer test for original ntsc xbox. Same time diffference as xbone. After 1800s (30min), the real time counter is 1.85s faster.
Spoiler: