Karma Run

PLATFORM: Xbox, Xbox 360 (emulation); RELEASE: March 2004 (NGB: September 2005)

Moderator: TheGodfatherDictator

reim0027
Administrator

Re: Karma Run

Post by reim0027 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:25 pm

When I did my Hard KR, I used to do mock runthroughs of the chapter. Figure out how much time I have. I would do it halfway through the chapter, and more often if I was getting close to the limit.
ninpoe
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by ninpoe » Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Yeah. I'm going to do that from now on. It saves time in the long run. One thing that has absolutely been hammered into my thick skull while running karma gauntlets is that killing enemies for essence dragging is like handling poisonous snakes: you've got to be oh so careful while doing it. I'm also starting to see what the veterans mean by fights in NGB being the same. If you're going for karma they will be the same most of the time because there's usually only one way to get maximum points within the time limits. That doesn't make it any easier, though. :laugh:
balbaid
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by balbaid » Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Sorry I wasn't aware of this topic.

Good luck, ninpo. I'm sure you'll get what want score-wise. Master Ninja KR is the best way to learn karma running. You've got plenty of times to do whatever you want, and fight's time limit is very generous. As long as you learn each fight's pattern and strategy, I'd call this run a success no matter what the score is.
ninpoe
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by ninpoe » Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks, man. My secret heart desperately wants 24 million.... but I think that's beyond my capacity at this point. I might go for Legendary status on MM instead, it's more manageable than a SM run. I've put in something like 40hrs on this run and still haven't finished CH5 yet. MN is absolutely brutal when it comes to enemy strength and AI... they are just so much more sadistic than on the lower difficulties. CH4 was a mess, but I got fed up with it and decided to move on after two and half weeks of agony.

Anyway, I brought my xbox to work again. :smile: Trying to finish up CH5 with a decent score. My overall goal is to keep within 50k of the top scorers on every chapter. If I can do that, then 24 million will be possible. If not... 22-23 million will be acceptable.
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Bringing your XBox to work??
ninpoe
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by ninpoe » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 am

Only at the weekends.

Edit: Technically I'm not supposed to work Saturdays, but sometimes it's necessary for me to be in the office monitoring the system because the retail section is doing stock take or whatever.

And sometimes the brass want me on call to take care of any potential technical hiccups during an executive presentation.In those cases I'll just be waiting around for something to come up (rare), so I can plug away on the old xbox with no problems. :smile:
reim0027
Administrator

Post by reim0027 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm so jealous!
Dark Hazuki
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dark Hazuki » Mon May 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Yes, I would like a job at your work, please. :D
ninpoe
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by ninpoe » Mon May 14, 2012 4:47 pm

I take it I wouldn't be able to get away with it in the US? :laugh: I know I wouldn't be able to do it in Japan, China, or Europe... unless I own the company. Living in backwater does have some advantages. I'm thinking of lightening up on my karma goal. Just do as good a job as my skills allow and enjoy myself more. The score will be what it will be.
ninpoe
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by ninpoe » Tue May 15, 2012 8:48 am

I hesitate to post this here, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys think. I'm still reading it through. The title of the essay below is On Why Scoring Sucks And Those Who Defend it are Aspies. That alone should let you know what you're in for. You have been warned. It caused quite a stir at shmups.com before the thread was locked. Dang.... and I was really enjoying the wringing of virtual hands, too. :laugh: I should also mention the author has a history of starting fire storms in hardcore gaming forums all around the Net, and is something of an outcast among his fellow arcade aficionados.

ninpoe
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by ninpoe » Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 pm

No takers? Okay. I understand. You are all probably tongue tied by the blinding narcissism evident between every single line of text, or just stunned that such drivel even exists in an honest-to-god printed book. Icy has that effect on people. If you feel nauseous or slightly depressed after reading that rubbish, then take this antidote. Lolz guaranteed:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 94&start=0

The guy who posted "just play however the fuck you want." is my hero. :cheer:
ninpoe
Shadow Imp Fiend
Shadow Imp Fiend

Post by ninpoe » Sun May 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Chapter 4- 666350
Chapter 5- 897830

Total- 3814280

F#@cking Red Ninjas. I'm relieved don't have to deal with them in threes for a while. Monastery time! I've got two words for yer: hiding spots. :yeah: :knackered: